UNDERFLOOR HEATING

hymer1942

Afternoon all, I have just fitted a new pump to my system and it works to a degree, hot at the boiler, hot at the resovoir [ at the rear in the wordrobe ], but only warm at the front of the van. My first thought is it might want bleeding, there are 2 what I assume to be bleeders behind the front seats, I have opened both one after the other and got only water.

Does anyone know if there is a correct way to bleed, or do I just need to let a lot of water though the system. Thanks in advance Barrie

I wondered where you were going with two bleeders behind the front seats. Most of us call them children! (or inlaws)

You may need to apply a little water pressure to clean any trapped bubbles, and make sure you are parked level when you do it.

Good luck

C.

I wondered where you were going with two bleeders behind the front seats. Most of us call them children! (or inlaws)

You may need to apply a little water pressure to clean any trapped bubbles, and make sure you are parked level when you do it.

Good luck

C.

Clive - 2011-01-05 5:13 PM

Good luck

Hi Clive and thanks, how does one apply pressure beyond that of the pump. Barrie

C.

I do not kinow if your Hymer is an A class, B class or C class.

If it has an overcab (or even with a drop down bed) there may be airlocks there or elsewhere. If it has a double floor then it will have rads with bleed nipples.

I am stressing that any air anywhere in the system will affect its efficiency.

The best place to get rid of air is the highest point in the system. Bleed a bit then run the pump. better still, take the van for a short run (up hill and down dale) to move the airlock.

I recently drained my system down and renewed the antifreeze mix and it took a while to get it bled properly. I found radiators (and bleed nipples) I did'nt even know I had. For instance did you know you have a rad in the toilet cassette compartment? I do, I have just found it. ;-)

Morning and thanks again to all. I have a S Class 650 and up to now can only find 2 radiators one each behind the 2 front seats. I shall move some furniture later to see if I have any more. There is not one in the bathroom, and the highest point in the system is the reservoir in the wordrobe.

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

I know very little about Hymers so I am none the wiser for your info. :-S

Try opening the outside door to your cassette locker and have a feel above it. That is where a rad is on mine. I had often wondered why it was warm in the bathroom. :-D

There is some good info on the Alde website, showing typical schematic circuits etc. If you have a rear fixed bed, there may be one (or two) radiators tucked away there. They are fairly high on mine and each has a bleed nipple. I got a great deal of air from them on my initial bleeding.

I also have two small radiators behind the front seats and I use them as my benchmark to see how I am getting on with the bleeding. They never get truly hot until the air is gone.

Archived