Burstner i821 Elegance advice needed please

Zyroman

Hello everyone, first post for me so please be gentle. I am viewing the above van at the weekend 2005 model and would love to know what I should be looking for. It is a long time since we had an old bay window VW and with middle age comes childen and a bigger waistband so we wanted something bigger and room for the kids to be seated safely. The van looks ideal for us but I am sure their are pitfalls to such a large van, ferry/parking etc etc but hopefully more room will outweigh that and to be honest my wife is only interested if we have a larger van. I live in Lancashire so would also love to hear if someone can recomend a storage facility close to the M65. I know the Fiat has had problems reversing and the Habitation area has had problems with it's windows and would love to know how I can identify if these problems are present. Thanks in anticipation.

Apart from all the usual things, it is (I think all are) a 5 tonne chassis, so make sure your driving licence is appropriate.

Do not examine van in bad light/weather, unless in showroom.  Make sure it is fully visible, do not examine when parked close to other vehicles, you need to be able to step back to spot colour variations possibly indicating repairs.

It is on an AlKo chassis, so make sure the rear end has been properly serviced.  Fiat dealers generally to not grease the (non Fiat, so non-standard) AlKo elements, unless specifically asked.  Lack of grease, appropriately applied, can cause problems with rear suspension arm bearings.

Full service history - including completion, without gaps and within dates, of Burstner water ingress warranty booklet - essential.  Full damp check (recorded, and copied to you) essential pre-sale.  The Fiat elements must have been serviced at least annually, irrespective of mileage.

Try to get a look at the roof.  Damage from driving beneath tree branches etc is not that unusual.

Check tyre condition/age.  Unless replaced recently, all will be near end of life on age alone.  Don't forget spare!

Big, heavy, van with "tag" axle.  Potential for overload on front axle, possible high wear front tyres, possible front wheel bearing/suspension swivel problems due to weight and tractive efforts on power train.

Close examination of esp n/s bodywork and rear skirt for accidental damage highly desirable.  Big van, increased potential for knocks.

Check recorded mileage.  If less than about 15K I'd suggest you pay to get it checked thoroughly by a Fiat commercial repairer before purchase.  There seem to be quite a few of these around, and I suspect a fairly high proportion will have unusually low mileages because owners found them intimidatingly large.  If you get it to a Fiat garage get them to stick it on their hoist and have a good look underneath for any signs of damage.  Not everyone checks before pulling off the road!

If planning to travel abroad consider where/how you will travel.  French autoroutes will be very expensive in this van, it will be charged at Class 4!  If you stay off the autoroutes you will generally be limited to 90KPH.  You will also be speed limited on German autobahnen, and in many other countries, as over 3,500kg.

It will have a large turning circle: if planning to store at home, check access to drive etc.

It won't be a ball of fire, so think low 20's fuel consumption.  Be very cautious if it is, or has been, chipped for extra performance.

Archived