Burstner i821 Elegance advice needed please

Zyroman

Hello everyone, first post for me so please be gentle. I am viewing the above van at the weekend 2005 model and would love to know what I should be looking for. It is a long time since we had an old bay window VW and with middle age comes childen and a bigger waistband so we wanted something bigger and room for the kids to be seated safely. The van looks ideal for us but I am sure their are pitfalls to such a large van, ferry/parking etc etc but hopefully more room will outweigh that and to be honest my wife is only interested if we have a larger van. I live in Lancashire so would also love to hear if someone can recomend a storage facility close to the M65. I know the Fiat has had problems reversing and the Habitation area has had problems with it's windows and would love to know how I can identify if these problems are present. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi and welcome

I have a Euramobil 810 at about 27ft, never had a problem with size. Bear in mind that nearly all motorhomes are of a similar width within a few inches. The extra length does not seem to matter (its just got to follow on) until you pay for ferries etc. The extra room far outweighs any disadvantages. The reverse judder problem you refer to only became a problem on the Fiat X250 chassis as far as I know. That was after approx 2006. I have a Fiat 2.8JTD which does not have the reverse judder proble,

I suspect the Burstner if it is on a Fiat chassis is pre X250 problems.

Others will be along soon to correct me, there is alot of helpful people on ths site who have far more knowledge than me but just thought I would start off the replies.Now you need someone with that model for fuller details.

Regards, Dave

This is an example of the model

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forsale/used-motorhomes/white-arches-motorhomes/bürstner-elegance-i821/21940

There seems to be some I-821-related stuff on other forums. A GOOGLE-search using "burstner i821 elegance" should retrieve it.

The 'window problem' related to Polyplastic-branded windows, but I don't know how one can visually identify the particular windows likely to be affected. I think this was the most recent forum thread about it.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20347&posts=5

You will not have the infamous judder on a 2005 model.

As for the windows on a Burstner, I do know there was a recall on some Burstners because the whole assembly could work loose. Again, I only heard of this on the new shape Fiats (2007 onwards). There may well have been other window problems of which I am not aware.

I have a 2003 Burstner 747 on a tag axle and it is 8.2 metres long. The size has never been a problem but the height can be. That is only because we like out of the way spots to wildcamp.

Just a couple of thoughts about your intended purchase, but only relevant if you are thinking of touring down here in Spain.

The tag axle configuration means you'll get charged Class 2 tolls on any and all Spanish toll motorways.....that's the HGV rate...and that can be expensive.

(But if you stay off the toll sections then this doesn't apply of course, but your journey time will be significantly longer).

On a lot of sites down here, there seem to be only limited pitches where such long MH's can fit on/in. Our old-dog A-class MH is about 7.2 metres including scooter rack on the back, and I struggle sometimes to manoeuvre round some of the tight site tracks/pitches in Spain and Portugal

That of course does NOT mean that you can't get onto any sites here, just that there are some you won't be able to get on to; or that on others you might have trouble if all the big pitches are taken.

(I assume this leviathon is over 3500kgs max weight; is there a UK driving licence age limit on driving anything over 3500 kgs to think about?)

Wecome to the madhouse and stop worrying mate, the spendings only just starting!

Next comes the shopping for set of pans, kettles, (12V and gas), wok, microwave, crockery, (matching of course!), cutlery, bedding, ( this has to match the curtains and carpets, naturally!) Of course you'll need a matress topper and cover.

Then we really start to spend!

Levelling blocks, wheel chocks, water hose, hook up cable, several different tap connections, a bucket, waste and water carriers, (optional), gas powered barbeque, bike rack and bikes, Silverscreens, membership of at least three clubs, campsite books, sat nav, windbreak, satelite dish, t.v. sky box and wind up torch.

After that you can put at least 70 litres of fuel in it, drive to a site and pay a minimum of a fiver a night for a basic site or up to £25 for a "proper one", then another 70 litres for the trip home!

Feeling sick yet?

'Cos then you've got to insure, tax and have an annual habitation check.

But the payoff is you'll have the time of your lives and get to visit places you would never go on a "normal holiday", meet people who can talk for hours on the difference between a Hymer and a Burstner van and in the course of a couple of hours will become friends for life with people you have only just met! (lol)

A couple of points. We have never felt the need for a mattress topper and we use the van for up to 8 weeks at a time, try it for a week or two before you shell out. You should be able to tell if your windows have been modified, they will have a small plastic cover in each window corner, gray. If not you should be able to e-mail Burstner in Germany, the British importers have never answered any of my questions, give them the VIN and they will tell you if the modification is necessary.

We have had ours since new and nothing has fallen off or broken. If you have the cash to run it with diesel now over £6 a gallon and going up, I don't think you would be disappointed.

One thing about this Motorhoming milarky:

It ain't cheap.

If you want cheap, go to Butlins.

Very good friends of ours made an excellent point to us when we were considering diving in and buying an old-dog MH about 4 years ago:

It is NOT a cheap form of holidaying. It IS a lifestyle choice.

They were right.

We love it.

Welcome to the forum - we have a Burstner Aviano and love it. With regard to the ferry charges - if you join the Aurotunnel Frequent Traveller Scheme ( 10 tickets to be used - 5 returns - within 12 months of purchase) They have just gone up in price from £39 each to £48 each for a car / van - making a return trip £96 each time you travel with them. They don't care what size your MH is - a VW type or a 32 ft double axle type - a "camping car" is a "camping car" to them - just add £9 each way if you take your MH.

It is easier to book and if you need to cancel (we have done so 30 minutes before due to travel) no quibble, they just put the tickets back on your account. We have just booked a weekend in February and for 11 days at Easter. You can turn up 2 hours (or more) before due and they put you on the next available train at no charge - unless you want to go during "peak" travel times, when you pay £20! 40 minutes and you are there. Can't wait to go again.

Archived