Additional leasure battery in tranny

ips

I havent removed the passenger seat yet but from what I can see there appears to be enough room to fit an extra battery next to the existing leasure battery which is under there. Can anyone confirm this ?

Ford transit 09 model.

ips - 2011-01-06 11:05 AM I havent removed the passenger seat yet but from what I can see there appears to be enough room to fit an extra battery next to the existing leasure battery which is under there. Can anyone confirm this ? Ford transit 09 model.

I have two 80Ah gel batteries in the passenger seat box, (2009 Transit) the second was fitted by my dealer on delivery.

It is quite tight, but (depending on the size of the two batteries) eminently possible. 

Being so close together, you will probably get away with just that, but personally, even when the batteries are close together, I would always put an in-line fuse in the live connection line (30 amp should do).

(I've had an additional battery installed on my last two vans, and though they have been next to each other with a short cable run, the live has been fused each time).

edit to add:

Remember, the leisure battery isn't being used for starting currents, so you don't necessarily need the size of battery cable used for a normal vehicle battery.

4.5mm (squared) cable is fine for 35 amp for instance. You're only going to need really big cable if you have, say, a heavy inverter, or possibly a 12v microwave.

Up to a point, bigger is better, but it is less flexible, and more difficult to fit an in-line fuse.

The battery that Ford themselves fit is a Varta 957-052-000 which is 353mm x 175mm x 190mm and of 90 A/H capacity. Ford do a set of link cables, but I don't know the part number(s). The really critical dimension is the height, as there is a risk of the terminals touching the seat base it it is too tall.

Some thought may need to be given regarding 'venting'.

If the 2nd leisure-battery (Battery Two) doesn't need venting, then that will be fine. If it does need venting and the original battery (Battery One) is of the unvented type, then a vent-tube will need to be fitted to Battery Two and be led through the cab floor. If Battery One is already vented and Battery Two also needs venting, a T-piece could be used to link Battery Two's vent-tube to the tube on Battery One.

Ford fits a cover to the + terminal of its normal single starter-battery and a second cover to protect the complete battery from any possibility of short circuiting. When a twin starter-battery system is fitted, Ford uses a different cover to protect both batteries from shorting. I don't know what motorhome manufacturers do regarding minimising the risks of shorting for leisure batteries installed beneath cab seats, but (as spospe mentions) it's a risk that should be considered when a 2nd leisure battery is to be shoe-horned in.

For any battery under a cab seat, the practicability for regular maintenance should also be born in mind (assuming the battery is the type that needs it).

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-07 8:57 AM ......... For any battery under a cab seat, the practicability for regular maintenance should also be born in mind (assuming the battery is the type that needs it).

But if your cab seats are mounted on swivels, the probability is that maintenance is, to all intents and purposes impossible, unless both swivel and seat are removed.

BTW, your friendly Ford dealer will be very unlikely to have done this to check electrolyte on the starter battery, as Ford provide for the inspection (standard, vented, flooded, battery) on a standard service, but not for removing conversion seat swivels.  Be aware that the seat + swivel is HEAVY!

Check inside the seat boxes for electrical gubbins.  The passenger seat box in our LHD Van contains the mains power pack, fuses, and battery charging gear.  The only viable location in ours would be beneath the driver's seat, where an additional leisure battery could be fitted.  Our leisure battery is gel, so is unvented and zero maintenance, and the one that fits (just!) is Exide G80/Sonnenschein GF 12 065 Y (in fact the same battery from the same factory, despite minor differences in casing and quoted Ah ratings).

You will need to match type for type, so that the charger setting is correct for both.  Ideally, both should be within about one year of each other in age, or the older one will pull down the capacity of the newer.

The above advice on protecting terminals is even more true beneath swivels, you are into gnat's whisker clearances!  I would suggest you investigate whether Ford do a combined hold-down kit for the twin starter battery installation, or a discrete second battery hold down because, due to the tight tolerances and the shape of the seat box, it will be essential to clamp both securely with a clamp that fits the space properly.  Oh yes, and either of the above batteries is also HEAVY, so get yer truss dusted off!  :-D

It's often "recommended" that they should be the same age, type, make and Ah rating.

Obviously, when fitting one to an existing vehicle, this isn't always possible. (You could always buy two new ones and fit those, but this has always seemed a bit over the top to me).

I would definitely recommend the same Ah rating; If you can get one of the same make, then all the better, if not, then I would still fit whatever I could get hold of with the same rating and type.

By type, I mean flooded cell, AGM, gel, etc. as they tend to have different charging regimes and characteristics, and shouldn't be mixed.

If by any chance the existing battery is gel, then be prepared for a nasty shock on price (which is why I negotiated mine as part of the 'van deal).  

BTW, I think mine now has a piece of "cut to shape" plywood placed over the top of the batteries and cables to avoid any chance of shorting.

This earlier thread may be of interest...

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18114&posts=3

Regarding Brian's comment about battery maintenance, I don't know what the situation is with Transit Mk 7s, but it would not have been possible to check the electrolyte level of my Mk 6 Transit's starter battery properly even if no seat-swivel were fitted. 5 of the 6 cells could be checked, but the 6th was masked by a (not easily removable) metal hold-down strap. I suppose the good news is that, although I always check the electrolyte level before going on holiday, during the last 5 years I've never found it necessary to add water.

You'll have the same Chausson installed battery as us I would think. Here's a thread about our battery - look low down the first page and you'll see some photos of the Chausson leisure battery.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19805&start=1

If memory serves from when we removed our passenger seat, I think you'll need some star type screwdriver to get the bolts out. The seat and swivel plater are heavy, but we just removed the table and dinette seat base cushion and popped the seat there out of the way (make sure you put a towel/blanket draped over the dinette seat base front so you don't mark it if you accidentally catch it with the passenger seat!).

There is some space under there but it is quite tight so make sure you can definitely get another battery in there safely.

To do maintenance you will have to remove the whole seat and swivel to get at the batteries as its impossible otherwise.

As we already had another 110 amp battery, we had it installed in the small side-facing seat base instead, and use the space under the passenger seat for odds and bods we don't use much (rain macs etc).

UPDATE

Got a similar size 90AH battery (existing is100AH) chap in MH dealers who I have dealt with before and who seems very knowledgable of all things MH assures me that batterys of close to the same AH will be fine. Anyway got seat out removed strap holding existing and slotted the new battery in no probs. Bought two term clamps and made up two 6mm cables to link em together installed and ready to go now. We will be away for the weekend with no hook up so will be able to run heater without worrying about running out of electricity.

Many thanks to all who contributed to the post .. :-D

Archived