O Rings

hymer1942

Those little "O" rings on the tube that inserts into the tap are hard to find.

Unlike many applications the size is critical, to big and they wont push in, to small and they leak.

I use PTFE tape and push it in well, it seems to work.

If anyone has found a source of exactly the right size let me know, I will get a few.

H

I bought complete plugs of that type last year for about £1.50 each for shower and basin. It was either a small general dealers shop or possibly a supermarket (while we were away in the van). They seem readily available.

Sorry I cannot be precise but I have a habit of buying 'must have' bits and pieces. :D

hymer1942 - 2011-01-06 4:04 PM

Hi all, my sink plugs are the basket type with tiny "o" rings to stop them leaking, one by one the o rings have perished, Hymer U K only sell the complete plug, does anyone know from where I can get "O" Rings. Barrei

Is this the type of plug you've got"?

http://tinyurl.com/398ls2o

If so, then I would have thought you'd be very lucky to find them readily available. However, you may well be able to replace the seals fairly easily. See

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-688934.html

Hi Barrie,

I might have given you some duff info then if that is what you need.

I know a lot of European manufacturers source from the same companies (especially for taps etc.) and I assumed it was a common or garden one as in my van.

It does look a bit unusual.

As for 'O' rings, take the time to carefully measure up the old one. They are sized by Internal diameter, outside diameter and thickness. Subtracting the first two dimensions will give you the third one. Once you have a size, most multi-packs list the sizes enclosed.

Screwfix have some offerrs on at the moment and I know that 'O' ring multi-packs are included.

A bit off topic I know but they also have some cracking deals on high gain TV aerials as well, although they may be a bit on the big side for some folk. Ideal for the home though. :D

Hi, I work at a hydraulic engineering Co and we stock 1000's of them right up to 7", whenever I need one I get it off the peg. You can measure the 'O' ring itself but the best way and more accurate way is to measure the groove it sits in and the bore its going into. We advise all our customers that want them posted to do this if its possible, as, if the 'O' ring is worn or your a little heavy handed it will squash and you could get it wrong. They come in metric and imp, so if you can find a hydraulic Co near you they should be able to help and that sort of size should only be pence. :-D

hymer1942 - 2011-01-06 10:35 PM

Thanks once again to all. Now shall try plumbers merchants first as I still have 2 plugs with the rings on it should not pose a problem to size. Barrie

If it has o ring then you will most proboly be better off doing as advised and going to a bearing/seal suplier, whilst plumber merchants will stock some o rings they will only be relavant to household plumbing, you might get lucky, you might not.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-06 6:41 PM

hymer1942 - 2011-01-06 4:04 PM

Hi all, my sink plugs are the basket type with tiny "o" rings to stop them leaking, one by one the o rings have perished, Hymer U K only sell the complete plug, does anyone know from where I can get "O" Rings. Barrei

Is this the type of plug you've got"?

http://tinyurl.com/398ls2o

If so, then I would have thought you'd be very lucky to find them readily available. However, you may well be able to replace the seals fairly easily. See

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-688934.html

When this question was asked on the MotorHome Facts forum (see above link), the respondent ("Smiler", another Hymer owner) said "went to the local plumbers merchant and managed to replace all the seals in my van". As "Smiler" is still an active member of MHF (last visit yesterday), it might be worthwhile asking him for more details.

We have the same plugs in our Hymer and for the past two years have used florists elastic bands and they have worked perfectly. Just save the small elastic bands that come on the bunches of flowers that you buy your wife!! :-D

Archived