Black bits in Toilet flush any ideas

FRANKP60

Set van back up yesterday,On flushing the toilet which was not drained after last trip ,found there was lots of black bits coming through in water.It looks like a load of tea leaves and some bigger pieces,Toilet fresh was in water ,any ideas what has occurred.Drained it down completely in end and flushed through now ok.

This was a common problem with Thetford 'pink' flush additive left in the flush tank for some amount of time, and forming some sort of mould.

It was some years ago, however, and AFAIK it was supposed to have been remedied by a reformulation of the chemical.

Maybe you've managed to get hold of some of the old stuff, or you've been subject to some odd conditions.

Most of it could be removed by repeated refilling with clean water and flushing through - nothing much to worry about, but a bit unsightly .

This problem still seems to be prevalent. See:

http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/topic/34164-black-deposits-coming-from-toilet-header-tank/

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-63899-thetford-toilettankflush-cleaning.html

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12989&posts=3

My own view is that it's best to

a) Use NO additive in the flush-water reservoir (then you can be certain that, should any 'bits' form, it won't be the additive's fault.)

b) Always drain the flush-water reservoir completely when the leisure-vehicle is out of use. (Plainly there might be a reluctance to do this if an expensive additive has been put in the reservoir - another good reason not to use an additive.)

When there are complaints about 'black bits' and algae formation in toilet flush-water reservoirs, it always seems to be the case that a flush-water additive of some sort has been employed. Many motorhomes (eg. my Hobby) take toilet flush-water directly from the main fresh-water tank, precluding use of flush-water additives, and owners of such vehicles seem able to survive without using flushing additives.

Another earlier forum thread that may prove useful was:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15728&posts=14

On refilling our water system,prior to going away over the New Year,whilst "bleeding" the system,we had loads of black "stuff" squirt out from the toilet flush nozel(our van uses the main tanks for flushing,so no additive is used)..and I'm someone who relgiously,drains and flushes through the tanks/pipes after every trip!

The taps were all running clear but it does make you wonder as to just what can be lurking in your water pipes? :-S

I'm assuming that this may have arisen due to the fact that the loo flush doesn't get as much water through it as the taps/shower.. and therefore "stuff" can accumulate...maybe..? :-S

Chris

We too used to add the 'pink stuff' and had loads of black bits. The interesting thing about the black bits was that it took years for them to first appear. We stopped using the 'pink stuff' and the black bits continued to appear (residual gunge in the flush tank?).

In our new van (now three years old), we never used the 'pink stuff' and at the end of 2010, guess what; black bits started to show in the flush.

We now ignore them as they are not a problem and they only seem to be present at the start of a trip when the toilet is first flushed.

The black bits are a BioFIlm and are quite safe but look bad,

drain toilet holding tank fill with aired water add about half a litre of non scented bleach leave overnight run van a few miles if possible to swill about if you drain the holding tank first run through pump and then empty flush through with clear water 1 go should clear the lot if it has been left stood awhile you may need to do this twice,

If you remove the toilet roll canister you can use a mirror to inspect the tank I remove the flushing pipe from out of the bowl and use this as a hosepipe inside the tank this really stirs it up from the comers etc and then drain off but once you get BioFilm it will return every now and again

This is a common occurrence in aged persons accommodation where water is not used a great deal it is non toxic but looks disgusting

Alf..

So are we saying that this "Biofilm" is only really something that would occur in "less used" parts of a water system?..and therefore due to their more frequent use,not likely to build up in the drinking/washing portions of the system...?

(..as I said earlier,our flush is fed from the main freshwater tanks..so we shouldn't be getting a "gunk" off the tank walls.. :-S )

This used to happen to us when we used Thetford 'Pink Stuff', 'cause it didn't contain a strong enough anti-bacterial agent, we have since changed to Elsan products, their 'Pink Stuff' is fine and keeps the flush tank clean and 'kills off all the black stuff', even when left for a few weeks. I also use their Tank fluid whether Double strengh or the standard stuff. There have been some good 2 for 1 offers lately too.

I know all the 'SOG' users will spring to their keyboards now. But I have a friend who has one, and I don't want one (after spending a long weekend camping alongside him) Thankyou, I'll stick to my 'Chemical smelling' enviromentily unfriendly but germ free system. ;-) Ray

pepe63 - 2011-01-07 11:35 AM

Alf..

So are we saying that this "Biofilm" is only really something that would occur in "less used" parts of a water system?..and therefore due to their more frequent use,not likely to build up in the drinking/washing portions of the system...?

(..as I said earlier,our flush is fed from the main freshwater tanks..so we shouldn't be getting a "gunk" off the tank walls.. :-S )

GOOGLE retrieves plenty of (disturbing!) stuff on "Biofilms". For example:

http://www.edstrom.com/resources.cfm?doc_id=23

My Hobby's water system remains drained down during the winter months and, when I refill it and bleed air from the pipework, 'muck' is normally ejected from the flushing-water nozzle in the toilet-bowl.

It's likely that biofilms permeate a motorhome's water system, but will only be noticeable when they have the opportunity to really thrive - like in the pipework leading to the toilet nozzle or in a toilet flush-tank. I suppose the moral here is not to drink water from the toilet bowl. :D

Im astonished that the OP's loo hasnt frozen and split being left with water in with the freezing weather weve had!

We were getting the black bits as well, so i decided to put nothing in the flush water. Lets face it, millions of folk put nothing in their cisterns at home, with no ill effects. Wheres the difference!

Hi How Much????? - welcome to the mad house! :-D

I assume the OP didn't have enough water in to cause a problem. Some people like to put some stuff in the fresh water tank to keep the loo bowl smelling sweet.

That's got me thinking though - I was wondering if anyone has ever used a freshner in the loo bowl in a motorhome? I wouldn't use anything strong, but wondered if something a bit milder, like a dishwasher freshner, would be okay? Thought please.

Guest pelmetman
Since reading on here about dishwater tabs in the cassette, I have been using Fairy in the flush tank, which seems to help clean out the black bits, which we got a while back when the pink changed its recipe :D

Thetford reccomend the use of Mlton to remove the black stuff.

Mine was disgustingly black and one Milton dose, a drive round and leave overnight and it has been pristine ever since. I use the pink stuff and the "new" fomulation if any is as bad as the old.

A Milton clean out at the start of the year and drain after every outing seems sufficient. :-D

alf - 2011-01-07 11:25 AM

The black bits are a BioFIlm and are quite safe but look bad,

drain toilet holding tank fill with aired water add about half a litre of non scented bleach leave overnight run van a few miles if possible to swill about if you drain the holding tank first run through pump and then empty flush through with clear water 1 go should clear the lot if it has been left stood awhile you may need to do this twice,

If you remove the toilet roll canister you can use a mirror to inspect the tank I remove the flushing pipe from out of the bowl and use this as a hosepipe inside the tank this really stirs it up from the comers etc and then drain off but once you get BioFilm it will return every now and again

This is a common occurrence in aged persons accommodation where water is not used a great deal it is non toxic but looks disgusting

I was under the impression we should not use bleach on plastics

jhorsf - 2011-01-08 1:29 AM

As bleach is normally marketed in 'plastic' bottles, it would be very odd if your impression were correct.

However, you should not use bleach on enamelled or plated surfaces, or in neat form on metal generally.

(Wherever did you get this strange, 'not on plastics' idea from?)

Our flush is taken from the fresh water system and we haven't in nine years suffered these black bits.

IMO importantly we do drain the system after each trip. This is because I am well aware of the development of biological slimes if the system is left charged. [i used to design similar systems] The least wet surfaces the least the problem as water is needed to facilitate biological growth.

The way we deal with "freshening" the toilet bowl is to have a hand spay for treating the loo bowl and seat after each "visit".

Just a cheap triggered plastic offering from B&Q etc, charged with pink solution at about three to four times its recommended concentration. At least you leave it smelling nice and fresh and its very economical, we buy a bottle of pink probably once a decade. The sprays trigger even neatly hooks on the towel rail for safe stowage whilst travelling.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-08 7:19 AM

As bleach is normally marketed in 'plastic' bottles, it would be very odd if your impression were correct.

However, you should not use bleach on enamelled or plated surfaces, or in neat form on metal generally.

It might not do the neoprene/rubber tank seals any good though.

Mind you Formaldehyde (used in most toilet fluids) is pretty strong too,and that doesn't seem to damage them ?

Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-01-08 11:19 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-08 7:19 AM

It might not do the neoprene/rubber tank seals any good though.

Mind you Formaldehyde (used in most toilet fluids) is pretty strong too,and that doesn't seem to damage them ?

Ray

I wouldn't argue with that.

I tip neat bleach down the sink, wash-basin and shower-tray waste outlets. I also clean the stainless-steel kitchen sink by filling it with water and then adding a good dollop of bleach. But I always ensure the waste outlets and sink are well flushed through with copious amounts of clean water once it's evident that the bleach has done its work.

Mel B - 2011-01-07 7:44 PM

Hi How Much????? - welcome to the mad house! :-D

I assume the OP didn't have enough water in to cause a problem. Some people like to put some stuff in the fresh water tank to keep the loo bowl smelling sweet.

That's got me thinking though - I was wondering if anyone has ever used a freshner in the loo bowl in a motorhome? I wouldn't use anything strong, but wondered if something a bit milder, like a dishwasher freshner, would be okay? Thought please.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. You are probably right re. the amount of water left in the tank. Even so, sooner them than me!

I started from the outset (nigh on a year now - how time flies!), by not using anything in the flush, as the van came complete with 'black bits' from the previous owner.

Having done copious amounts of research re. motorhoming before we bought our first van, i knew immediately what the cause was, and the remedy.

I also started using Asda bio liquid in the cassette, but the mrs reckoned it didnt get rid of the odours well enough, although it was doing the 'breaking down' very well. So, after a bit more research, i swapped to Fenwicks top n tail, but just in the 'tail'. Now, the mrs is happy, but myself less so. I think the chemical smell is a bit strong, but maybe im putting too much in? Ill be experimenting next trip out. ;-)

ps we also give the bowl a squirt of 'smelly' from a spray now and then.

Archived