12v electrics: Bessacarr E435 2009

WOJA

Bought a used Bessie 435 in November from a dealer in W Somerset.

Found that leisure battery flattened over 48 hours due to stated discharge of 0.65amp on control panel. Dealer said problems experienced with control panel and new one ordered, which took 7 weeks to arrive. ( I could have walked to Hull & back in that time) Checked when leaving workshop but on arriving home discharge still showing between 0.25 / 0.35 amp with everything disconnected. Handbook says control panel takes 60mA whilst hob & TV remain live unless control panel turned off.

Any ideas where this drain originates?

Need some ideas to throw at the dealer before I spend another £25 in diesel to get it sorted.

Hi Roger,

First a couple of thoughts.

Have you turned the control panel OFF when you take these battery discharge current readings?

Have you a satellite TV system on standby?

Have you a TV set on standby?

Have you an alarm fitted?

Have you an inverter running with nothing plugged into it?

Have you taken these battery readings using the control panel or have you used an independant digital meter set to AMPS connected in series with the leisure battery lead?

If you can answer these questions and tell us if your Bessy has either a Sargent EC200 or a Nordeltronic system (or anything else) fitted we may be able to advise further.

Regards

C.

Hi Clive,

The control panel is a Nordeletronnica NE183 and I am reading the discharge current from it whilst it is on.

The answer to your other questions is NO.

All other devices have been disconnected and removed to a safe location. The alarm system works off the vehicle battery. I have also removed the sat nav / reverse camera and the front of the radio in case these are linked to the leisure battery. I have not connected a voltmeter to the battery other than to confirm that it was being discharged after 2 days before the replacement control panel was fitted.

Regards,

Roger

Ageing has-been & technocarrot.

Hi Rog,

Thats a pity because Swift - Bessy used Sargent kit from 2003 up to 2008 and again from 2010. Sargent provide an excellant support service. Swift only used the Nordeltronic kit for 2009. If you have a digital multimeter I suggest you set it to read amps and connect in in series with the leisure battery negative lead. This will indicate real amps. Then note the amps with the panel turned off. Then with it turned on. Is the panel illuminated? The current draw you give could be the display backlights?? If the current draw exists with everything turned OFF and the backlights timed out and gone off then one at a time pull the leisure 12 volt fuses to identify which circuit has the current flowing through it.

C.

Situation changed a bit as leisure battery discharged again overnight which suggested it was poorly. Removed it to my bench and connected my German "smart" charger whereupon the display produced a code not in the handbook which I deduced as "istknackeredheinz." Although showing 13V, this reverted to 11.6v within an hour. Have installed a fully charged spare in the 'Van which is showing a constant 12.6v after 24 hours. Dealers have agreed to replace so I hope this will have solved the problem.

Incidentally have various other issues with the dealers over the paperwork & handover condition so hope to submit a full report on the overall experience in due course.

Archived