CAB DOOR LOCKS

hobby

hobby - 2011-01-07 3:59 PM

Hi Can you help i would like to fit dead locks to my fiat 03 sundance,any

advise with types the cost and where to get them would be great Thanks hobby.

It depends on whether you wish to be able to operate the dead-bolts from the inside-only, or from the outside-only, or from inside and outside.

If you just want to be able to operate the bolts from inside the motorhome, then the HEOsafe products (key-locking or not) should be easy to DIY fit to your Ducato-based motorhome and are readily available. Price range £130-£180 per pair and this is a link to one supplier.

http://www.elecleisure.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=229

There's also a lot of discussion about these on:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-14170-heosafe-deadlocks.html

If you want dead-bolts fitted within the cab-doors themselves, then things become more complicated and DIY-fitting may be unwise. For examples use the link provided above by "tracker".

For very simple fitting, I would suggest HEO locks.

These fit to existing door bolts, are operated from inside only, and can be removed if you need to change to another van.

The only thing to remeber if you fit them, do not try to open the door with them locked, as th ill ten to damage the door al rubbers.

I have had them on two vns and find them excellent

I had a set of these fitted to the van I bought last year, seem to work well without too much hassle fitting. When leaving the van, lock them and leave by the habitation door, which is secured by a large 'assist handle lockable set-up' Works ok for us.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Security/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Guardian-Security-Lock

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Security-Products-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Security-46-Pro-Security-Handle

Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-01-09 11:35 AM I had a set of these fitted to the van I bought last year, seem to work well without too much hassle fitting. When leaving the van, lock them and leave by the habitation door, which is secured by a large 'assist handle lockable set-up' Works ok for us. http://www.fiammastore.com/Security/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Guardian-Security-Lock ...........Ray

Since these seem to lock from inside via a turnbutton, I can't see what advantage they bring.  The easiest way into a vehicle is to break a side window.  Once that is done the turnbutton is easily released, as is the cab door lock itself.  To be effective, a supplementary lock should be key operated from the inside (as is the Heosafe), not operated via a turnbutton or a simple shoot-bolt.

I think a lot of us look at our M/H and think its not very secure ,and to a professional thief it probable isnt ,But we can defend it in little ways from the opportunist thief,

I look at it this way, When I,m in the Motorhome, I will defend it with the last drop of my Blood, anything or anyone coming into the M/H Uninvited I will attack without Mercy using any mean,s at hand to defend me and Mine and I have a few means, not all legal but what an intruder is doing isnt legal, That said I have added Milenco sliding habitation door locks (2) to the outside of the  Habitation Door, also I have a Fiamma Guardian 2 door lock on each of the cab doors, this is mainly for the periods were away from the Motorhome and the Immobiliser/Alarm are on,Just for Peace of mind that I have at least tried to secure my Property whilst I,m away. 

I would also intervene in what I though was an attempt to gain entry to any other Motorhome near me ,no matter the cost, I feel that strong about Thieving B------s.

nb,I used Milenco because it has a normal Key opperated lock not the round type Fiamma use.

Guest JudgeMental
plain madness in my opinion, and looking at your avatar no surprises there:-D ..... It is all covered by insurance? That is what you pay the VERY large premiums for? what is the point of putting yourself at risk of getting stabbed to death for a laptop or sat nav! *-)

JudgeMental - 2011-01-09 2:35 PM plain madness in my opinion, and looking at your avatar no surprises there:-D ..... It is all covered by insurance? That is what you pay the VERY large premiums for? what is the point of putting yourself at risk of getting stabbed to death for a laptop or sat nav! *-)

We put ourselves at risk the moment we wake up, and step out of our safe home environment, Your,s is the choice, I makes not an Iota of difference what possessions are at risk, the mere fact of the attempt to take something which does not belong to the Perpetrator is enough for me, My avatar, very life like as it may be should not influence your response, No offence offered or taken my friend. its just the way I feel,I look at America and see the way they have gone as They never get involved and people die on the streets and it is starting to happen here Because people wont get involved,  Apologies off Subject,

lizken - 2011-01-09 5:25 PM Not true, Brian. The turnbuckle is locked with a key. Ken

Are you sure?  You seem to be saying that the Fiamma lock, as linked by Rayjsj, is key operated from the inside.  Neither the Fiamma website, nor their installation instructions, show a key cylinder in their lock, or mention keys.  You posted about Heosafe locks, which is why I said: "a supplementary lock should be key operated from the inside (as is the Heosafe)....... "  But Fiamma?

lizken - 2011-01-09 5:25 PM

Not true, Brian.

The turnbuckle is locked with a key.

Ken

I believe Brian is correct...

I considered mentioning Fiamma's "Safe Door Guardian" locks as they were so much cheaper than the HEOsafe products. However, I wasn't sure how straightforward it would be to DIY-fit them to hobby's 2003 Sundance. (There's a special version for post-06/2006 Ducatos).

Rayjsj's posting indicates that they CAN be fitted to pre-X/250 Ducatos, but his wording seems to suggest that someone did it for him.

It's perhaps worth adding that HEOsafe locks are marketed in key-less or (more expensive) key-lockable versions.

RhinoInstalls - 2011-01-09 3:35 PM

Any form of physical security which can be seen works as a good deterrent, and will send a thief to the next easiest opportunity. Unless they really want that they are going for and theres no stopping them.

Phil

Agreed, but you can't see the additional locks on the inside, surely something more visible externally would be more sensible if this is what is wanted?

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-09 1:12 PM
Rayjsj - 2011-01-09 11:35 AM I had a set of these fitted to the van I bought last year, seem to work well without too much hassle fitting. When leaving the van, lock them and leave by the habitation door, which is secured by a large 'assist handle lockable set-up' Works ok for us. http://www.fiammastore.com/Security/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Guardian-Security-Lock ...........Ray

Since these seem to lock from inside via a turnbutton, I can't see what advantage they bring.  The easiest way into a vehicle is to break a side window.  Once that is done the turnbutton is easily released, as is the cab door lock itself.  To be effective, a supplementary lock should be key operated from the inside (as is the Heosafe), not operated via a turnbutton or a simple shoot-bolt.

Brian, I agree with you up to a point, the 'Fiamma' locks in mine are mounted low down, past the level of the arm rest. But a Kleptomaniac Orang-utan could reach for sure. I did have 'Lockable ones' in my last van, but never used the keys when sleeping inside, incase a rapid exit was required. Ray

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-09 6:23 PM

lizken - 2011-01-09 5:25 PM

Rayjsj's posting indicates that they CAN be fitted to pre-X/250 Ducatos, but his wording seems to suggest that someone did it for him.

It's perhaps worth adding that HEOsafe locks are marketed in key-less or (more expensive) key-lockable versions.

I fitted them, as i wanted them low down out of reach. Ray

At the end of the day, we're driving round in a vehicle with plastic windows and if someone wants to get in it they might try the front doors, see or realise the door has extra locks and just flick open the plastic window catches and get in that way.

We've got an alarm with flashing LED light, alarm stickers and extra Fiamma lock on the hab door and "shed" door as a visual deterent, and rely on sensible "defensive" parking measures, luck and our insurance cover for all other eventualities

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-09 6:18 PM
lizken - 2011-01-09 5:25 PM Not true, Brian. The turnbuckle is locked with a key. Ken

Are you sure?  You seem to be saying that the Fiamma lock, as linked by Rayjsj, is key operated from the inside.  Neither the Fiamma website, nor their installation instructions, show a key cylinder in their lock, or mention keys.  You posted about Heosafe locks, which is why I said: "a supplementary lock should be key operated from the inside (as is the Heosafe)....... "  But Fiamma?

Brian is Correct in my case my Fiamma Guardian 2 only have turn button,s and I have not seen any with key locks on them, I found  Hoesafe too expensive for what they are.

I have fitted deadlocks to every door and locker door, they are visible from outside.

I have, and will use, a suitable means of self defence if forced to.

If I get killed, I will go down fighting.

I might even take one of the b'$t@rd$ with me!

H

If the base vehicle cab doors do not have deadlocks, it is sensible to add some additional security to these doors.  I assume the main intention is to prevent someone gaining entry through the cab doors.  To be effective, such supplementary locks need to prevent the doors being opened, and to do this they must either be placed where they cannot be reached even if a cab window is broken, or they must lock by key.  Whether a thief will persist with the cab doors after breaking a window will depend on how much time he thinks he has.  If the lock can be seen, and looks easy, and he thinks he has time, he will release it if it can be reached, even if that involves some discomfort.

If the lock is visible and looks difficult he will turn his attention to the next softest option, either the cabin door, or the windows.  If the cabin door has a Fiamma locking handle he will probably give that a good yank in passing, and will then simply force one of the plastic windows as they only have plastic catches.  He will not be concerned at damage caused along the way.  If he thinks he has the time, and the van has valuable contents, he will persist until he is in.

The best way to prevent a prolonged attack is to park your van in proper car parks, aires, or campsites that are busy and/or extensively overlooked.  Vans tucked away from view, on waste ground, deserted lay-bys, down lanes, or in empty car parks on the edges of town, are likely to attract attention, simply because they offer opportunity.  If an area makes you think it may be a bit dodgy, don't park there, and definitely don't sleep there.

I don't understand the grounds for the raw fear that seems to be promoting some of the posts above, but can only assume they stem from people stopping where their own common sense tells them they should not stop.

Tomo3090 - 2011-01-09 10:15 PM

At the end of the day, we're driving round in a vehicle with plastic windows .....

Yeah,I agree,I was waiting for someone to post this (lol)

..and I suppose there is the argument that the more locks you put on,the more damage they'll end up doing trying to crowbar the thing open...

Some of these additional lock that folk fit to their habitation doors could be easily wrenched off with a small crowbar..resulting in quite major(as in "time consuming to fix") damage to any framework...and assuming that you've locked any valuables away in a secure box anyway,they'll end up with what?..a couple of cds..a transistor radio...hardly seems worth the damage really..

Probably better off with a decent alarm...

pepe63 - 2011-01-10 2:42 PM

hallii - 2011-01-09 10:45 PM

....I have, and will use, a suitable means of self defence if forced to.

If I get killed, I will go down fighting.

I might even take one of the b'$t@rd$ with me!

H

Blimey!... 8-)

I thought that too !! My Labrador gives a good impression of an angry Black Bear when she is disturbed (she even scares me !) but then I know I only have to say the 'magic' word 'Dinner' and she rolls over to get her belly rubbed. Scary Huh !

Archived