"Toast proof" smoke alarm

everhopeful

I've had to abandon my standard smoke alarm because the repeated false alarms were wrecking the nerves of the OH and the Dog.

There seems to be a new type of alarm using optical techniques, that, although not as sensitive, may be better than nothing.

Maplin are selling this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223978 and there are others.

Has anyone any experience of this type of alarm in a Motorvan?

Guest pelmetman

I fitted a smoke alarm in the camper a couple of weeks ago due to er in doors saying we need one :-S haven't had one in here for 18 + years :D

Now its like a dinner gong (lol) every time we cook it goes off (lol)

Bl***y thing is so sensitive I reckon a warm fart would set it off *-)

At the risk of being branded as a danger to all human life I will not have a smoke alarm in our camper. Quite simply the space is way too small for it not to go off every time anything is cooked. I do however have a Carbon monoxide alarm installed and lets face it, a fire in the motorhome is likely to produce a fair bit of CO so chances are the CO alarm will go off but it isn't affected by cooking.

D.

Just get one with a 'hush feature' button to press to silence it as has been suggested already, we have one of these in our camper (Chausson installed) and whilst being sensitive to just about anything, even when frying, I can press the button and it 'shuts up' for a while (... wish hubby had one of those! :D ).

There're some cheap ones on ebay at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smoke-Alarm-Batteries-/120543650467?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item1c10f622a3

Thanks all for your excellent advice.

Good to find that I'm not the only one who dares to take the battery out. But, needs must, and the option of leaving it to beep and then push a button to silence is just not acceptable anymore. Nerves are shot. Divorce is threatened. Whatever I do the alarm must NOT go off unless the van is on fire!

It's a 20' Motorhome and wherever the alarm is placed it sniffs out even a slice of toast with annoying persistance!

So, it's either an optical smoke alarm, a heat detector or a C02 detector - or take the risk of having nothing.

I quite like the idea of a CO2 detector beause that would be dual purpose, but the optical "Toast proof" alarm is also tempting. I really can't even try a new device that might give false alarms.

Maybe I should try the divorce option! :D

I am glad you raised that point Dave. I thought CO detectors were there to detect the results of gases from incorrectly burning boilers or gas fires. Whether burning upholstery will produce CO I do not no, but a lot of smoke and gases? certainly will kill you. I hope an expert can advise us.

As clive posted, local fire station give out free what are supposed to be toast proof alarms. Even with these it's best to position as near to bed and as far away from stove as possible. The hire van we had in US last year had smoke alarm, as well as CO and gas alarms, this was sited fairly close to stove, so was expecting it to be constantly going of, but not so, only once, so the technologies out there!

Hi

We have a FireAngel toast friendly smoke alarm above the habitation door, which on our Hymer is next to the hob and it works very well, with only occasional false alarms.

We also have a carbon monoxide detector near the ceiling in the bedroom, but don't rely on that as a fire alarm as it takes some time to sound. We wouldn't be without the CO alarm though, it has saved our lives!

P&L

peterandlinda - 2011-01-09 9:40 AM

Hi

We have a FireAngel toast friendly smoke alarm above the habitation door, which on our Hymer is next to the hob and it works very well, with only occasional false alarms.

We also have a carbon monoxide detector near the ceiling in the bedroom, but don't rely on that as a fire alarm as it takes some time to sound. We wouldn't be without the CO alarm though, it has saved our lives!

P&L

I'll be able to position the alarm some way from the kitchen area, so I think I'll try a "toast proof" alarm now.

Could you frighten us all into a CO alarm with your experience? Having your life saved is as serious as you can get!

everhopeful - 2011-01-10 7:21 PM

Could you frighten us all into a CO alarm with your experience? Having your life saved is as serious as you can get!

I too proboly had my life saved by a CO alarm at home, my friend was not so lucky in his van, he died using a badly serviced stove as a heater.

• 3 years later...

Archived