Aire just off A 20

hymer1942

Good morning all, and first thanks to all who helped with my many requests in the past. We leave next weekend for Spain via Limoges, I have done the trip lots of times but so far have not found a good place to overnight adjacent to the A 20 just south of Virzon, if anyone knows one that would be a good help. Barrie

Guest JudgeMental
Barrie, I have just emailed you the most comprehensive list of Aires that I have for download to a Garmin sat nav. I will be surprised if it does not contain what you want.....Have a good trip

JudgeMental - 2011-01-09 1:37 PM

Barrie, I have just emailed you the most comprehensive list of Aires that I have for download to a Garmin sat nav. I will be surprised if it does not contain what you want.....Have a good trip

Thanks a lot for that, but I have not a clue how to put them on my new Garmin. HELP Please Barrie

Guest JudgeMental

have you no POI installed on the Garmin? you need to download Garmin POI installer and follow instructions. I haven't much of a clue either as my son does mine *-) so not sure how to explain...someone will be along soon! the files are already in Garmin format so should be straightforward :-S

have you auto route 2010? at least open that file, and you will see the Aires on the map and can at least browse on the computer...

hymer1942 - 2011-01-09 11:36 AM

Good morning all, and first thanks to all who helped with my many requests in the past. We leave next weekend for Spain via Limoges, I have done the trip lots of times but so far have not found a good place to overnight adjacent to the A 20 just south of Virzon, if anyone knows one that would be a good help. Barrie

There are 'aires' at Vierzon itself and at Mery-sur-Cher just west of Vierzon (details/photos on the campingcar-infos website). That seems to be it, except for 4 France Passion sites that will be no use to you if you aren't a member of the scheme.

Have you tried Massay or Vatan, as both are very close to the A20 and not too far south of Vierzon? If you are only planning a one-night halt, I would have thought any small town/village car-park that looks reasonably safe should be OK.

There is an Aire at Mery sur Cher it's in All the Aires book..around 4/5 miles from the A20 just North of Vierzon along the N 76 Eastwards..The barrier was credit card operated and cost 5.60 Euros (Jan/April 09)when we used it down and back..Facilities are/were Fresh Water..EHU (with the EHUs there are 7 spaces but only 5 EHUs for some reason) Waste/Black water dump and a proper WC on site The site is well lit some slight road noise but nothing to worry about..The site is on the left hand side of the road just as you enter the village..and around 100 metres down the road on the left a belting bakers for the fresh baguettes next morning

Hope this helps

Guest JudgeMental

Once you get the file loaded into your sat nav it makes life so easy, and this latest file has so many Aires on with a good description it is worth loading?

just save the file to your desktop from the email? drag and drop? download and open garmin POI loader? and it is easy!

have you auto route 2010? the "Aires eiurope axe" is in that format and is really easy to load? if you have autorouts on your PC just copy file from email to desktop and open it? it should then open within autorioute.

just play with it, you wont regret it!

here is the POI loader:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

JudgeMental - 2011-01-09 6:04 PM

Once you get the file loaded into your sat nav it makes life so easy, and this latest file has so many Aires on with a good description it is worth loading?

just save the file to your desktop from the email? drag and drop? download and open garmin POI loader? and it is easy!

have you auto route 2010? the "Aires eiurope axe" is in that format and is really easy to load? if you have autorouts on your PC just copy file from email to desktop and open it? it should then open within autorioute.

just play with it, you wont regret it!

here is the POI loader:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

Hi Judge, have printed France, Masses, but for some reason cant open then europe, will have to wait for Youth to arrive, but looks good and will certainly get Autoroute. Barrie

Thanks to all help.

Another, a little further off the A20 along the N76/D2076 at Mennetou-sur-Cher, bordering the Briare canal, 47.268627 / 1.865711 (10 places), with Euro-Relais dump station nearby (Place du 11 Novembre 1918, jeton required, local shops or tourist office 2€).  Looks quite attractive and should be quiet, as across canal and behind buildings from N76.

Archived