Insurance/recovery/storage advice needed please

Zyroman

Hello everyone, well we have gone and done it, we bought a Burstner 820i at the weekend and am now looking for recommendation regarding the best insurance, someone who can offer roadside assistance for a van that large (5000kg) and a good storage facility in the Burnley area. Am I likely to get an insurance discount if it is on an approved site ? I have already had some great help on here so I am hoping for more of the same.

Thanks.

David

Hi David - welcome to the 'club'!!! :-D

We're with Safeguard. Our current van is a 3.5 tonne MAM Chausson and the insurance includes breakdown recovery in the UK, we also pay for European breakdown recovery too, and it has proved to be well priced. One thing you must check though is what restrictions, if any, there are for recovering a vehicle of your size, usually anything over 3.5 tonnes has clauses placed on it. As an example, we found that our previous van, a Rimor with a 3.5 tonne MAM at 7.14m long, was fully covered, but if we had uprated it to 3.85 tonne MAM (which we had considered doing), we would have to forego some of the recovery items, such as no 'hotel' or 'loan vehicle' cover, so make sure you check this out carefully with any breakdown recovery you may be offered, as well as if there are any length/width restrictions.

I would have thought that you may be able to get a better deal on insurance if you use a 'recognised' secure storage site, but it will depend on each individual insurance company policy.

Hi and welcome,

I have a 28ft Euramobil 5000 Kg,s and am Insured with Safeguard. The policy includes UK and European breakdown, roadside assistance and recovery etc. They have no size or weight restrictions. Others have questioned this in the past on forums as to whether this was in fact correct so I checked with Safeguard and have an e mail response that there are indeed no size or weight restrictions. As mentioned above there are some what I consider minor limitations such as hotel accommodation etc.

However you need to check for yourself the details with any insurance provider/broker and ensure that they provide everything that you require and double check the small print. Have a look at Safeguard website for general details. I,m sure other companies provide the same cover and some separate the breakdown cover from the insurance. I think Comfort do it this way.

Can,t help with storage in your area, sorry.

Dave

Hello and welcome,

I have a van of similar size and I use Caravan Guard. They cater for larger vans and I know there is a discount for storage. If the storage facility is CASSOA rated then the discount could be even more.

I have never made a claim but my insurance premium has only crept up in line with inflation. I believe some companies have hiked up their premiums lately, so shop around.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, storage is now sorted and I have a couple of quotes for insurance so far and they are both around £450 which is more than I expected but I guess that as breakdown cover is included it maybe is about right. *-)

Re the breakdown cover: do check that it actually covers a van of the size and weight you now have.  It seems some of the telephone sales staff take the details for insurance purposes but don't cross check the limits on the associated breakdown service.  If stuck, I know Comfort have relatively few restrictions on size, weight, or age.

Archived