Biggest Channel ferryl steams in to port

duetto owner

Hope no one forgets which deck they left their van on when disembarking 8-) and I just wonder how long it will take to get off it , it must have been all thought about, but I think I will use the normal sized ferrys unless there is a big cost saving, which I dont think there will be, but hey dont lets stand in the way of progress.

Pity they dont use it on the western channel ports and put some competition back for lower prices.

Guest JudgeMental

surely this must mean slower loading/unloading and more crowds on board? we had the journey from hell returning in august from Italy via NFL. hard to find a seat, a horrible crossing when tired after a long drive up......more like a refugee ship! *-)

have booked tunnel for this summer, cost £10 more then the ferry's for more civilised crossing times as well, and not a noisey crowd or refugee in sight!

This boat is designed to carry more freight nothing else!

Hello all,

I was told about this ferry last year; one of the berths at either end of the journey has been modified to provide loading and unloading of all 3 decks at the same time, so in theory it should not take longer to disembark at Calais but the traditional queues at Dover to exit the port will certainly not be any better! The ship will run to specific times (see the Stena website) so you can chose whether to use it or not when you book/arrive at the docks, but they will normally just put you on the next one that will be leaving. There will be no difference in price between this ferry and others from the same carrier.

My favourite ferry is the older, smaller freight one. Better food in the trucker's restaurant and more comfortable but it takes an age to unload.

Nick

JudgeMental - 2011-01-10 12:15 PM

surely this must mean slower loading/unloading and more crowds on board? we had the journey from hell returning in august from Italy via NFL. hard to find a seat, a horrible crossing when tired after a long drive up......more like a refugee ship! *-)

have booked tunnel for this summer, cost £10 more then the ferry's for more civilised crossing times as well, and not a noisey crowd or refugee in sight!

This boat is designed to carry more freight nothing else!

But surely Eddie, if your last "sentence" (sorry!) is right, then that'll mean LESS crowds on board? There's only one driver (or occasionally a mate) to each lorry, which takes up the same space down below as quite a few cars!

Archived