Carbon Monoxide detector

t5tripper

Hello everyone,

We have a T5 California which I would like to put a carbon monoxide detector in. My problem is that all the ones I have seen have to be placed quite a way away from the actual gas points - this is almost impossible in a small van - can anyone tell me if they have seen one for a small space or if they use a normal one without it going off every five minutes.

Thanks very much K :-D

Guest pelmetman

This trip we have taken the carbon monoxide detector which we have for the log burner at home, and I have been amazed how often its gone off, wind changes direction, not left the vent open enough etc etc *-) ....At home that is.............here it's been just a occaisional green flashing light which means all's well.

So along with the dinner gong........sorry smoke alarm *-) we are all alarmnd up :D

Hello t5, we always take our detector from home, (supplied by Brit. Gas) it's on our pre. trip list of 'must haves' At home we have it above the lounge door attached with blue tack so all we do do is transfer it to the MH and still fix it with blue tack. We have never had a false alarm but with the blue tack if it goes off wrongly it can be easily moved around your van until you find the best place and you do not have to drill holes to mount it.

Hope this helps!

Barbarian

pelmetman - 2011-01-10 7:04 PM

This trip we have taken the carbon monoxide detector which we have for the log burner at home, and I have been amazed how often its gone off, wind changes direction, not left the vent open enough etc etc *-) ....At home that is

I would suggest you get advice on your log burner, it should not be producing CO, one day the alarm might not work!

Ours is placed just below the cooker and as close to the floor as possible, as carbon monoxide is heavier than air. Never had a false alarm.

Hi Peter,

Has it never crossed your mind that it has never gone off because it is in the wrong place???

CO is almost exactly the same density as air.

CO2 is heavier than air.

Under certain circumstances, CO can gather in the roof area but if you have a bit of a draught through your van, CO will be carried around just like the air.

The perceived wisdom (although not by everyone) is that a CO alarm should be placed at about the height that your head would be when sleeping.

If you have a fan assisted heating system, it gets a bit more complicated. 8-)

I believe there was a thread on here a few months ago that might help (or confuse) :D

Hi Everyone, sorry I haven't been back to thank you all, it's been a busy few days. I really appreciate all your tips and advice and I am of the same opinion as most, better to have one on board that not at all.

I will put it in and be done with it

Thanks again - nearly half way through January YEE HAA !

• 5 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
colin - 2011-01-10 8:34 PM

pelmetman - 2011-01-10 7:04 PM

This trip we have taken the carbon monoxide detector which we have for the log burner at home, and I have been amazed how often its gone off, wind changes direction, not left the vent open enough etc etc *-) ....At home that is

I would suggest you get advice on your log burner, it should not be producing CO, one day the alarm might not work!

A some what delayed reply :D

Our stove is multi fuel and as its only small so we need to use boiler nuts(coal derivetives) to keep it in over night and if the wind changes then that causes the problem :-S

Which is why I have the alarm :D

Guest pelmetman
Are your nuts bigger than mine 8-) ............We have recently changed our nut supplier and have not had the alarm go off, since we have been home :D

Archived