Btittany Ferries

rolandrat

Just priced the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and I've been quoted 727 GBP return and Portsmouth to St Malo 484 GBP return, thats for early March departure so the price for June/July will be much higher, still the relaxing cruise down and back will be worth it.

I have done Santander and Bilbao lots of times, it is now so expensive I drive to Spain.

I take 3 or 4 days to get into Spain and last year my fuel costs were about £400 for the whole holiday.

No contest for me.

Dover Dunkirk £54 return off peak.

I am off in February.

H

Guest JudgeMental
Calais to Santander is only 802 miles? You could do it with one overnight stop if pushed, or a leisurely few days.... Far more pleasurable then a Brittany ferries crossing :-S

If you are using Brittany Ferries regularly check out their Travel Club,

anyone can join and after the initial joining fee you can save up to

30 per/cent each crossing, (and free or half price cabins on French crossings.) You need to travel at least once a year to benefit but if you can share the membership with a friend and save costs.

The Santander trip makes sense for some. In my case using Santander saves me about 2300 miles. That is around 92 gallons of fuel costing around £460. My Brittany ferries trip with Travel Club membership including cabin is around £620 compared to a ferry round trip costing around £70 from Dover. ( All these figures are very approximate of course but are quoted to illustrate a point.)

So, travelling with Brittany Ferries to Santander costs me about £90 extra and for that I can get to my destination more quickly, leave from a Port (Plymouth) which is on my doorstep and save a lot of wear and tear on myself and vehicle. The downside is that you don't experience the enjoyable journey through France but this is less of a problem for me as I've been doing this on and off for nearly 40 years with tent, caravan and motorhome.

The 802 miles (1604 roundtrip) quoted by Judge between Calais and Santander is by Autoroute according to viamichelin so if you want to avoid tolls you need to add about another 50 miles round trip or if you don't you will have toll fees of around £200.

Travelling by BF is not as expensive as some make out but it helps if you live near Portsmouth or Plymouth. For me the worst part of any holiday is the trek from Devon to Dover so I'm happy to pay the £90 extra to go from my local Port and start and end my holiday in relaxation mode. However if you live near to Dover then the economics of travelling by BF is less obvious.

Well put Mike that is my view as well and you highlighted the road tolls which after all adds to the overall expenses to get to the Costas'. France is a lovely country with great scenery and we always enjoy our travels but the relaxing cruise to burn up some of the miles is very appealing to us.

Archived