Motorhome security

peterrosey

Didn't have the best start to the New Year as the motorhome got broken into some time on New Year's Day...

The thieves had hammered around the standard-fit Ford deadlocks (the muppets) and then put the cab quarter-window through to gain entry. They got my satellite-in-a box (£60 from Maplins) and my reversing camera screen (useless without the camera, which was still on the van). The damage to the motorhome is going to be around the £2,500-mark...

Anyway, what are your top tips for protecting your motorhome from internal theft (it sits on the drive with a big security boot on it and the Ford immobiliser can't easily be bypassed, so vehicle theft is a lesser concern).

I'm definitely going to get anti-shatter glass film, but I'm in two minds about an alarm.

A good quality alarm and don't leave anything of value within arms reach of any window or anywhere it can be seen from outside to tempt the toerags. regarding the reversing camera screen, you might not think it is of any use without the camera but they'll sell it down the pub to some other muppet for a fiver or a tenner then splash that on drink or drugs or both.

D.

In edit: I'd also fit a security camera to watch over the motorhome and a BIG sign advising of its presence and that it records to a remote location, even if its a dummy camera it will help to make the twonks think twice.

Guest JudgeMental
my 2007 ford transit based camper has a Cat 1 alarm:-S Armourplates fitted to cab door locks (to prevent easy access with a screwdriver, Fiat even easier *-)) and Heosafe dead locks to cab doors as well. Sooooooo they have to break out the glass and climb in with the alarm sounding 8-)

I've installed a driveway alert which is a battery operated pir which sends a signal to activate a receiver inside the house whenever anyone approaches the van. The receiver can be set to a variety of alarms, chimes etc. and is quite loud.

So far it's been sucessful in deterring some youths who approached the van at 3am as they heard the alarm which is situated just inside the back door quite close to the van. It also woke me up and by the time I'd got to the window they were legging it down the road.

The van also has a Strikeback alarm but by the time that's activated the damage is done.

For an outlay of around 30 pounds I've found it to be very worthwhile.

Roly

peterrosey - 2011-01-12 5:02 PM Didn't have the best start to the New Year as the motorhome got broken into some time on New Year's Day... The thieves had hammered around the standard-fit Ford deadlocks (the muppets) and then put the cab quarter-window through to gain entry. ............

Sorry to hear of the damage Peter, how very annoying.  But, I'm a little puzzled.  With the deadlocks set, it should not have been possible to release the cab doors even with a broken window, because when deadlocked (at least on ours - 2.2 FWD Transit), the internal release is completely disengaged from the lock.  You can waggle the lever all you like, and push the internal locking triggers, but the door stays resolutely locked.  So, my questions are: 1) are you sure your van had the deadlocks, and 2) might the hammering have been a way to negate the deadlocking function? 

Not seeking to dance on your misfortune, but perhaps relevant experience for all with Transit bases (self interest duly declared!)  :-).

I got it on eBay early last year. Just had a look and the place I got from no longer lists the same combination of transmitter and receiver. Mine came with two external battery operated pir's and a mains plug in receiver and it was the best I could find at the time. Their current one looks to have the same pir transmitters but has a battery operated receiver.

It's here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/X3-NEW-WIRELESS-DRIVEWAY-GARAGE-ALERT-ALARM-SYSTEM-/300459326194?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item45f4c57af2

Bearing in mind the relatively low cost the pir unit is very well made and it works exceptionally well.

If you prefer a mains operated receiver you could always give them a call.

Roly

Hi,

I had the misfortune of a break-in last year, the local bobby advised me to remove all traces of Sat-Navs (circles on the Windscreen) if possible same with reverse cameras and leave the glove box open with nothing in it.

The determined criminal will still get in if necessary through windows etc. Brian is quite right the deadlocks should keep the doors locked unless disabled in the damage

I have also put chains through the door handles, but it makes you think, glass damage £50 excess on insurance against damage to motorhome 'thousands' and possible losing no claims bonus, if not a hike in next years premium?

No easy answer

Cheers

Tony

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-13 1:03 PM
peterrosey - 2011-01-12 5:02 PM Didn't have the best start to the New Year as the motorhome got broken into some time on New Year's Day... The thieves had hammered around the standard-fit Ford deadlocks (the muppets) and then put the cab quarter-window through to gain entry. ............

Sorry to hear of the damage Peter, how very annoying.  But, I'm a little puzzled.  With the deadlocks set, it should not have been possible to release the cab doors even with a broken window, because when deadlocked (at least on ours - 2.2 FWD Transit), the internal release is completely disengaged from the lock.  You can waggle the lever all you like, and push the internal locking triggers, but the door stays resolutely locked.  So, my questions are: 1) are you sure your van had the deadlocks, and 2) might the hammering have been a way to negate the deadlocking function? 

Not seeking to dance on your misfortune, but perhaps relevant experience for all with Transit bases (self interest duly declared!)  :-).

Brian, my understanding of Peter's posting is that the miscreants tried to overcome the locks by hammering around the lock but when that failed they broke the quarter light to gain access which then allowed them to remove the camera monitor and prat nav.D.

Dave Newell - 2011-01-13 6:23 PM ............Brian, my understanding of Peter's posting is that the miscreants tried to overcome the locks by hammering around the lock but when that failed they broke the quarter light to gain access which then allowed them to remove the camera monitor and prat nav. D.

That was my first thought, Dave, but Peter actually said they "then put the cab quarter-window through to gain entry", which I take to mean they had opened the door/s and physically entered the van, as opposed to just reaching in through the broken window.

I have given a bit of thought to this problem but decided there was little point beefing up the vehicle doors if it remains relatively easy (large screwdriver to lever through door or window) to gain entry via the conversion at the back.

I can see the point of an audible alarm on the vehicle but unless close by yourself who takes any notice of car alarms sounding off? If you are automatically contacted by a system it is likely to be all over before you get there.

I can also see the point of a light and noise alarm set to respond by movement on your own property, again you would need to be present yourself to effectively intervene.

There is no easy or foolproof answer and I suspect the main benefit is the illusion of security added devices bring, although to confess I might, quite illogically, fit something after the fact.

I have been through the same considerations with bikelocks which even the most expensive are fallible.

Guest JudgeMental

Dear Oh dear, definitely a glass half full kind a guy!:-D Find it hard to fathom anyone in this day and age does not at least have a cat 1 alarm, that can be armed when sleeping......

as for bike locks, some are good, some very good and a lot more utter rubbish..you need to do the homework. And at the end of the day decent insurance helps*-)

We have a full blown cat 2 alarm as required by our insurance company but we also have one of those security lights that come on after dark. The difference is that ours has an additional box that plugs into the mains and sounds an alarm in our bedroom if anyone steps onto the drive. We have it on a timer to prevent it going off all day. Cost very little and I seem to remember we got it from B&Q or Homebase. We also have a very serious professional CCTV camera wired back into the house with a little flashing red light inside the housing. Only problem it has never worked since it fell of the wall of the premises where I used to work.

Both our neighbours are in the met which should help if needed as well.

We are also members of neighbourhood watch and recently providing the police with details of a suspicious character and his car number has brought to end a number of house break-ins in our area.

We are members of our Local neighbourhood watch, at the last meeting with the local Constabulary I brought up the subject of Motorhome security when at home and away, and the Police officer said any visible security device has the potential to deter the would be thief,its a matter of not making it easy for them, On that advice I fitted two external Milenco sliding locks to the habitation door and two Fiamma Guardian 2  internal door snibs/turn locks to the inside of the cab door, I also have a cat 1 Immobiliser / alarm fitted, I now have peace of mind. so value for money to me.

peterrosey - 2011-01-14 3:58 PM They didn't get around the Ford deadlocks, but got in via the broken quarter window (after levering around two others and wrecking the trims). The van was still locked!

Oh good!  No help to you I'm afraid, but I have been telling myself the locks are good, so taking a laid back attitude to general security.

I guess you have three general approaches to this.

1 They were a random event, unlikely to be repeated, so not worth spending money to resist/deter.  They certainly weren't fully equipped or knowledgeable, and seem to have been stoned, drunk, or thick (or any combination to choice :-)), so maybe more a bloody nuisance than a permanent threat.

2 They represent a local problem, in which case I think I'd be more inclined to try for deterrence via PIR switched lighting and maybe an internal alert in the house.  How practical that may be will largely depend on the layout of your house, and whether you can arrange the PIRs to respond only to people nosing around the van, while missing legitimate callers and/or animals.

3 Fit an alarm to the van.  It won't prevent the initial attack, though flashing LEDs in front/rear lights should signal its presence and deter some.  Others will merely give the van a shake and watch to see what happens.  If you go for the alarm, then I would only say get a really good one, and get it installed by someone who knows the Transit electrics and motorhomes in general.  I guess it may be possible to install PIRs on the van, to emit an initial warning, possibly into the house as well as a chirp from the van, to deter before any damage is done, but I may just be fantasising!

One firms stands out on reputation, Van Bitz with their Strikeback alarm, here: http://tinyurl.com/6bstbqh

They may be able to suggest a few extra tricks that would suit your circumstances and give extra peace of mind.  Not the cheapest but, I understand, very well regarded by those who have one.  We don't, so I can't offer any advice from experience, but doubtless others can.

I had 30 years of dealing with thefts of & from vehicles. My approach to vehicle security is to try to combat each level of attack.

Level 1 is the local scroat who usually tries to force the lock and/or smash a window. Solution:- extra locks, an alarm with a glass break detector & not leaving anything of value in the cab.

Level 2 is the thief with a bit more knowledge. May attempt entry by forcing/ cutting plastic windows, forcing garage (rear under bed storage) doors or forcing/cutting roof vents. Solution:- alarmed doors, movement detector & extra sirens that are so loud it's hurts to be inside the van when they go off. Also hide valuables when away from the van in case of a thief with ear plugs

Level 3 is the knowledgeable thief who can deal with the audible alarm & standard immobiliser and takes the vehicle. Possible solution:- alarm with remote controlled immobiliser (Phone the alarm with a code that immobilises the engine when ignition next turned off) & a tracking device.

Level 4 is the profesional steal to order gang with an alarm expert, mobile phone signal blocker & recovery vehicle. Solution:- insurance. *-)

It also helps to be street wise. When parking or overnighting be aware of your surroundings. Don't stop there if there's broken glass on the ground from smashed veh windows or beer cans or bottles all over the place. When returning to the vehicle look out, BEFORE you get o the van, for anyone loitering nearby or sat in a vehicle close to yours. If in doubt walk on by & observe from a distance. If 'wildcamping' try to park so that a single vehicle can't block you in.

When I've posted this advice before someone always comes up with 'how do you get out in the event of a fire with the extra door locks'. I would get out through the window at the end of the bed. When we take the grandchildren away for the first time this summer they will have a practice fire escape before we leave.

It's easy to become paranoid about security/safety but all you need is common sense and awareness to assess the risks. Some people will tell you it's not safe to stop on motorway rest areas in mainland Europe. I've been doing so for 15 years and never had a problem. However I have driven out of many having assessed them as risky and moved on until I have found one I'm happy to stop on.

There is no guaranteed solution we can just take the precautions we each feel safe with. Even then sods law has to come into play. On one trip to Portugal a rat chewed through the tracker's GPS antenna and I didn't find out for months :$

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me :-D

Archived