Wheel nut torque

Arthur Brown

Brambles - 2011-01-13 11:46 AM

160 Nm for 14mm bolts (15 inch wheels)

180 Nm for 16mm dia bolts (16 inch wheels).

so I make that 103 and 118 poundsfoot .

your 82.5 is presumaby poundsfoot which is way too low.

Torque up in stages, and diagonally.

I believe you'll find that 160Nm = 118 lb/ft and 180Nm = 133 lb/ft

160Nm = 118 lbft for 14mm bolts , 15 inch wheels

180Nm = 133 lbft for 16mm bolts , 16 inch wheels

There how is that? I am just getting so confused today, I have been making loads of errors today on all sorts of things - one of those days.

I was obviously thinking 14 and 16 mmm bolts - did the same 1st time working out lbft values used digits 14 and 16. Cracked up, need a holiday in motorhome.

Brambles - 2011-01-13 7:13 PM

....p.s. it is lbft not lb/ft for the units.

Jon.

If we’re talking about “foot-pounds”, the abbreviation should logically be “ft-lb”, though “ft-lbs”, “ft.lb” or “ft.lbs” also seem to be in common usage. I wrote “lb/ft” (that seems to be pretty common too) because it happened to be the abbreviation employed on the conversion website I was using.

Whatever abbreviation is used for torque forces, it really should not to be “lbft” (though it’s evident that’s also used) as, for clarity’s sake if nothing else, there ought to be a separator of some sort.

http://forums.finalgear.com/questions-and-answers/torque-lbs-ft-lbs-ft-ft-lbs-or-nm-16996/

Hi Derek, I just mentioned because lb/ft could be read as pounds per foot which would be wrong.

You are correct in convention being to order as ftlbs.

But when converting using a calculator or pen and paper the hard way it is easy to write in same order as Nm so lbft seems to just flow.

My brain really was not in gear yesterday, and not much better today.

dikyenfo - 2011-01-14 11:27 AM

I always take a torque wrench with me and a socket set and it helps to re-check torque when you have warmed up the tyres and rims after a run.

Is warming up the rim significant?

What I do know is the torque setting is specified with wheels and hubs cold not hot. So I fail to see why it helps when the rims have warmed up.

If I tightened an alloy wheel while hot, I would most certainly check it again when alloy rims where cold.

Brambles all the books I read tell one to torque up the nuts and re-check after a run and this is surely worth doing as there are quite a lot of reported nuts coming loose and this could be one explanation.

I also think that another reason could be not going round the wheel in opposites working like that progressively diametrically opposite nuts a bit at a time until full torque is attained.

dikyenfo - 2011-01-14 2:45 PM

Brambles all the books I read tell one to torque up the nuts and re-check after a run and this is surely worth doing as there are quite a lot of reported nuts coming loose and this could be one explanation.

I also think that another reason could be not going round the wheel in opposites working like that progressively diametrically opposite nuts a bit at a time until full torque is attained.

I am not disputing above, you said after the tyres and rim have warmed up as if that was significant rather than a run to settle the rim should it not be bolted up properly.

Archived