"Weight spreading" boards/mats?

pepe63xnotuse

Sorry about the unclear title but I was unsure as to what you'd actually call 'em... :$

I'm refering to the chucks of boards that most of us lug about and use to park up on when on soft pitches etc..

I've been carting around an assortment of sections of thick plywood and short sections of scaffold plank but I'm now looking to replace these with something a fair bit lighter(..and with something that doesn't soak up water like a sponge and end up with moss growing on 'em! *-)

(I'm not looking to have something fabricated out of aluminium treadplate or something purposely supplied/cut from a composite materials supplier ;-) )

..I'm more on the lookout for something in the way of a heavy duty honeycombed plastic,that maybe is used to make pallet bases?..Has anyone come across something like this anywhere?

I also thought that maybe something along the lines of those boards that builders/utilities companies use to cover holes in pavements would be ideal(cut down obviously)..

Any thoughts or ideas?

Chris

(I don't know why my smilies aren't smiling??)

There are some stiffer boards that were available from the Newark show but if you want something that is megga strong why not approach a metal supplier or builders for aluminium sheet with footprint markings that is often used for walkways.

I would suggest a minimum of 6mm over pattern and consider a heavier if you have a monster vehicle. These come from the mill in large sheets so you dont have to limit yourself to skinny sizes or lengths.

Be interested to know how you get on as it is possible to go into scrap bins and pay very little if you are fleet of foot ;-)

Hi Pepe,

The bottoms of commercial bread trays make perfect grip mats, but they are not that easy to get hold of. I managed to purchase some damaged second hand ones from a wholesale bakers and cut them down with a power saw. They are very light, flexible and strong.

I had cause to use them under my front driving wheels whilst in France last June and they worked a treat :-D

Hope this is food for thought?

Cheers, J&A.

Thanks for the replies folks..

I wasn't really keen on using ali' tread plate(...I used to work with it when I was a fabrictor/welder), as I think it'd be,quite expensive in the size/thickness I'd need(..having no realistic way of "obtaining" any,other than buying it ;-) ),would have a tendancy to "curl",if not thick enough and can be quite dirty to handle..

I have thought of the bread crate bases in the past but I'd always assumed that they were quite flimsy and only really for use as "grip mats" and not really for spreading weight?..

...I didn't realise that you could get them that strong..

I'll have another look down that route.

Thanks again

Chris

Chris

I use fibreglass sand ladders bought off eBay for about £60. You can get different thicknesses/lengths to suit your needs. They are very strong ( used as bridges by LR owners) and are easy to hose off. I found them invaluable with my previous Fiat MH and still use them as insurance with the Sprinter. They double up as loading ramps, bench seats and table tops when needed!

Super bit of kit.

Guest Tracker

If you laminate two sheets, about 12" square, of 8 or 10 mm plywood together with a proper wood glue and add a few screws just to make sure and then paint them with several coats of whatever paint you happen to have or fancy they will take the weight of the van and not be too heavy and be easy to store as well as cheap to make.

We have 6 altogether and when overnighting on grass we always use them and have never yet failed to get away no matter how much rain.

It is the intial climbing out of the trough that the wheels, being round, create for themselves as they settle that causes wheelspin and once they are spinning you will be very lucky to get away without carving craters.

So that takes care of bogging down and if you want to use ramps or level chocs simply place them on the boards - using two to support the ramps - hence having 6!

Just like some earlier replies above, the bread baskets are the best.

If you go to any supermarket and have a look around the loading bays you will find ample damaged surplus baskets just or the asking. The suppliers dont want the damaged ones back and the supermarket has the problem of disposing of them, so you are doing them a favour by asking and taking what you need.

I'm with Barney & John & Anne. I've been using the base of bread trays for the past ten years; they fit easily into a black plastic bag when not in use & travel behind the driver's seat. I use two full ones for the front wheels but you could probably cut them in half & use for all four. They were used in France last year when a French van sank into soft sand & they couldn't get it out!

I found mine on the roadside & have seen several since. Hope this helps. :-)

Bread tray bases are the best by far ... best invention since sliced bread! :D

We have 2 lots, one shorter set which are a bit less robust but work well, and another set which are quite solid, depending on the pitch we use whichever is the most suitable.

It's also best to actually park on them as soon as you go onto your pitch, rather than try to use them when you've sunk a bit and realise you should've used them. :$

' Cut Down Bread Crates' Light, easy to hose mud off, 4 fit together and take up less space than an outside chair.

Stop even a heavy motorhome from sinking into the bog.

But, of course their use is strictly illegal, and i am not condoning their use at ALL (but they are good). Ray ;-)

I too use bread crates cut a couple in half to gives me 4 bases. If the ground is very soft I put them under all 4 wheels. They often bend a bit but straighten out after a couple of days in the warm.

Found mine at the roadside discarded by a mobile trader after a carnival.

I did ask at our local supermarket about what they did with any damaged crates and they reckoned that they all had to be returned to their supplier..

(..and I don't really want risk being caught nickin' a couple of plastic crates from around the back,by the skips!? :-) )

...so burgers vans in laybys may be the best option.. ;-)

(..the trouble is,if I do find any,I can see that if the crates are in reasonable nick,I'll end up thinking they're to good to cut up..and they'll end up being chucked in the shed 'cause "..they'll come in handy.." *-)

Sand ladders were something I'd looked at a few years back(as we attend a lot of Music festivals)..but I just never got around to getting any...

Chris :-)

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2011-01-13 10:33 PM

Why should it be illegal if you've sourced them legitimately?.

Because they belong to the bread company? not the supermarket or shop they are knicked from......The Pillsbury dough boy is coming to get you! :-D

Hi pepe63

To vear away from mugging your local baker. You might like to try this product. It is in the Tool Station catalogue, page 141 and is called a ground guard mat. It is 585 x 385 x 38 mm. It is a recycled plastic product and each section can be interlocked with another. It is a 'honeycomb' injection moulded mat and is really tough but reasonably flexible. Each mat is designed to take 250 tonnes per sq metre so it should last a long time. Each one costs £4.48p and we carry 4 of these and they work very well. We find that one of these mats per driving wheel gives a good sound drive off situation with really wet ground but if you put the other two in front you can drive off by placing each one after another as you drive off. We just store them on the floor of the garage which keeps the kit from sliding around.

Cheers Ned

The Tool Station mats are interesting, but I'd be concerned that on softer ground they'd just push in, also they are quite tall at 38mm (approx 1.5 inches).

The chap on ebay does grey ones too which appear to be a bit 'thicker' plastic on the bases - they also come in blue!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/brandsequipment/m.html

There's also someone selling loads cheaply if you want to 'pig out' on them!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STACKABLE-PLASTIC-BREAD-TRAYS-X-28-/130474989088?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item1e60ea5620

Well,I've just ordered four of those ground mats..

I know that bread crates and the like would've done but it's getting hold of 'em around by us...

..as for them sinking in,well we carry a few of those cheap(Tesco 99p)car mats,so we could sit them on them,if there was a problem. ;-)

(..I just hope they don't try and deliver those mats on a bl**dy great truck,complete with grab!?..as they'll never get down our lane!

:-) )

Guest Tracker

They look as if they would be ideal for the job except that being hollow and 38 mm thick they are going to stick to the ground and collect a lot of mud and someone will have to pick 'em up and clean them whereas painted wooden ones wipe clean easily and quickly - great when it's hissing with rain?

peter - 2011-01-13 10:33 PM

Why should it be illegal if you've sourced them legitimately?.

because they never 'belong' to anyone except the Bread company, they have a sign burned into them that says so.

So although i was given mine by a hotel owner, they werent 'really' hers to give, although the bread company refused to collect them, and they had stood outside the kitchens for 2 years. I am now 'en route' to return them via the Hebrides/Mull/Dingle/Spain/Portugal etc., etc. they should be returned by about 2030 if i'm still alive then. Until then i'm just borrowing them. Ray ;-)

Just seen the E Bay Ad, thought the bread company must have bought them from somwhere.

Archived