"Weight spreading" boards/mats?

pepe63xnotuse

Hi Mel B and Pepe62,

You have a point with the mats that they might sink in. However, we carry one of those tent peg puller things which hoick them out easily and a swift bish bash bosh on the ground usually gets rid of the muck. Actually, as we all have found out, nothing is perfect. So yes, they do take up a bit of room and yes they will get a little dirty but to be honest we have found that they are really useful locked together outside the door of the van say when you are parked up on hardstanding and its wet! You can get your shoes on or off outside the van and slip into the indoor crocs. They seem to work well if you are parked up on grass and you get a shower. they are deep enough to keep your feet dry as you enter or exit the van. They are also useful for drying off the dog and keeping him above the wet grass or tarmac. a truely flexible piece of kit.

Cheers Ned

Ned..Thanks for the heads up..as they were pretty much what I was envisaging! ;-)

Okay,as some say,they may sink in a little but no more than "proper" leveling chocks(which are also "open bottomed")...and they've got to be easier to cart around than the array of wooden blocks,ply and scaffold boards that we do at the moment!? *-)

..and their thickness will help lift the front,which is always slightly low on a "level" pitch.

Chris

Guest Tracker
pepe63 - 2011-01-15 4:05 PM

Okay,as some say,they may sink in a little but no more than "proper" leveling chocks(which are also "open bottomed")

Chris

Mine are not open bottomed, and why not do I hear you ask - or maybe I don't?

It's because they are screwed to - yeah, you guessed it - a plywood base!

This keeps them clean(ish), stops them sinking, and because the boards are a few inches longer than the ramps it gives the wheels something to grip before they start climbing the plastic hill thus preventing the ramp from skidding away on hard ground.

Simples!

Guest pelmetman

Blimey how much do you lot weigh 8-)

All we have is a couple of timber leveling blocks made by the father in law 30 years ago, and we rarely use them, I am fascinated by this urge to be level :D

Oh, nearly forgot a couple of 5"x5" bits of ply for the steady legs if the ground is a bit wet :D

Guest Tracker
pepe63 - 2011-01-15 7:15 PM

Thanks for all the tips about using wood(..be it ply or other wise :-S )

..but as you'll notice from my OP,I already use timber in it's various forms and have been for years..and the object of the thread was to source something that WASN'T made of wood.. ;-) (lol)

Fair enough - but seeing as how wood does the job so well for many of us it does beg the question - and most of us are nosey gits anyway - what do feel makes wood unsuitable?

Mornin'..

I'm not saying wood is "unsuitable"(..if it was,I wouldn't have been using the stuff in the first place?! ;-) ).

..but I was looking for something lighter than the collection of ply boards and chunks of scaffold planks that I'm carting around at present(..again,as posted in the OP).. ;-)

To anyone interested in these Ground Guard Tiles(from Tool Station)..just to say that they've just turned up this morning(ordered friday) and they look just the job! :-D

Really sturdy but very lightweight(..all four are less than half the weight of just two of the double-thickness ply boards I am currently using!)

Nicely spotted Ned! ;-)

Archived