Used Van Problems

Pc Plod

Hello All,

I am a new member and i have just purchased a 2007 timberland endeavour x1x for my retirement, hoping to tour europe this year.

I had a vehicle inspection done buy a local garage who highlighted a few problems so i haggled on price knowing that i would have these to rectifie after purchase.

I have what appears to be three problems.

The previous owner told me that the batteries were not holding charge so i have changed these to 80amp varta semi traction batteries.

On connecting them up i noticed that the cables are what i think are only twin 2.5mm gauge .Is this correct or should i change them to a bigger size.

The electrics are controlled buy a sargeant unit and i have noticed when the vehicle is on charge the battery voltage goes up to 18 volts and the charging current is 20 amps. These readings taken from the remote display unit. I am a litttle suprised that the cables underneath the vehicle are just cabled tyed to various points and not in any sleeving or tubing.

The second problem concerns the tip up sink.

I have to keep lifting it up and down before the water makes any attempt to empty, sometimes there is a whoos noise and the water rushes away.If i leave it to drain on its own it can take anything up to two hours.

The third problem is the alloy wheels. They are all flaking, is this normal on a vehicle of this age or am i expecting too much.

Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Hi Harry and welcome. There'll be help along soon, that's for sure.

Prob 1 - no idea.

Prob 2 - I had the same problem, I remedied it with a few doses of hot, (not scalding), water with some bleach in. I gave it a really good flushing.

Prob 3 - I'd be gutted if 3 yr old alloys were rotten unless you have a very high mileage van, (unlikely). As for what to do, I'll leave that for others to advise.

Good luck.

Martyn

1)

18v is to much 14v is the max. Check with another meter across the batteries. The amps will drop when the volts are correct but 20 amps charge on a low battery is OK.

2.5mm max current is 20 amp, I would have expected at least 5mm.

If the cable is sheethed with PVC outer it will be fine.

2)

Yep, you got gunge! Drain cleaner or caustic soda will clear it. You might also have an air bubble that stops the flow, try moving the hose keeping it as straight as possible.

3)

The wheels can be refurbed, try a local shot blaster and powder coater, the tyres will need to come off but they will look like new.

H

Normally a tip up sink can be pulled out. Beneath it will be a trough and you will probably find that its bunged up with toothpaste and hair. DO NOT use drain cleaner as this will corrode the plastic sink irrepairably as most probably will boiling hot water.

Pc Plod - 2011-01-14 7:56 PM

...The second problem concerns the tip up sink.

I have to keep lifting it up and down before the water makes any attempt to empty, sometimes there is a whoos noise and the water rushes away.If i leave it to drain on its own it can take anything up to two hours....

I guess you are referring to a tip-up wash-basin like the one shown in the bathroom photo on this webspage.

http://www.timberlandmotorhomes.com/products/timberland/endeavour/timberland-endeavour-xix-(08)_1_1/

If pouring stuff down the basin's plug-hole doesn't improve matters, then the problem almost certainly lies in the hose-run arrangement between the basin and the waste-water tank. Difficult to advise on how best to tackle the issue without actually seeing your vehicle. The fact that the water sometimes whooshes away suggests that the problem should be fixable fairly easily.

Archived