Sooner or later you'll be happy you saw this!!

Way2Go

I've just spent a couple of hours on the internet trying to track down the cause of an error message on my NE183 Control Panel.  In addition, whenever I touched a button other buttons lit up and the thing was in a right state.

This was the first time I'd visited our MH since driving though piles of snow in Germany just before Christmas so was expecting the worst.

During my search I discovered that it was probably a comms problem between the Control Panel and the fuse box.  This sounded feasible as there was a rapid tick, tick, tick noise coming from the fuse box whenever I turned the Control Panel on.

Long story short - apparently you have to remove the cover from the Control Panel and pull out the connector from the motherboard.  Leave it out for 30 seconds and re-assemble.  Worked a treat.

I'm assuming that it's probably the equivalent of a re-boot as it re-establishes the link between the Control Panel and the fuse box (like 'pairing' a bluetooth device).

Anywho, this solution and many more can be found here http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/Nord_fault_finding_guide.pdf

The download contains a fault finding flow chart which is extremely useful.

Should you have problems in the future with your NE183 Control Panel you'll be glad you saw this and not take a few hours surfing the net or a very costly bill at your Swift authorised dealer ;-)

W2G

Guest Tracker

We are indeed indebted to our honourable friend for bringing this to our attention!

The afore mentioned proceedure works on lots of electronic devices these days - including computers when they 'crash' - and is always worth a try on almost anything before panicking.!

Having tried to reset and failed - then's the time to panic and ask this dubious audience!

Way2go,

The 'famous' power on reset or POR (to confuse the natives).

I used to be a Mainframe engineer in my past life, and often did 24/7 standby stints, the VERY first thing i always said, after listening to the symptoms of a failure (usually half asleep at 2.30 am) was 'have you tried switching it off, waiting 10 seconds (count out loud so I can hear you) then switch it back on again' you would be amazed at how many times it fixed the fault, and I was able to turn over and go back to sleep.

I even had to contact European support once in Montpellier, and got told the same thing (only with a French accent !). After which we all (the engineers) called it a 'Full Montpellier Power on Reset' FMPOR looks far more impressive on the 'Fix sheet'. Ray ;-)

I'm glad it was a useful link for you.  I just felt that there was no need for anyone else to search for the answer, should they have a faulty Control Panel, when I'd just found a possible solution.

Thanks for also sharing some great stories.

When I was in IT tech support if we had problems with Canon Bubble Jet printers we had to get them to disconnect it from the mains.  Just turning it on and off on the switch wasn't good enough, apparently.

We would talk someone through this over the phone and they would say "nah, still got the same problem".  We would then say did you pull the plug out.  Where upon they would say "No, I just turned it off and on again - same thing".

"No . . . . . it isn't" (we'd say through gritted teeth).  If you just pull the plug out, count to 20 then put it back in again you'll reset the printer (unless you'd like to stay here all day discussing it - we'd say under our breath.)

W2G

When we bought our ( now sold ) Swift Ace Airstream 680fb the guru at Brownhills made a point of showing me how to reset the control panel as you stated by disconnecting it when they did the handover which was very thourough because as he stated they had had some customers ringing from abroad with a duff panel and were able to talk them through the process , but it makes you wonder how many other dealers are not aware of the reset to inform their customers on the handover of the new motorhome. For once Brownhills were on top of the game.

I've just had a similar experience with my Internet connection getting slower & slower. Then saying it could not connect to numerous sites.

I received the silmilar advise as others have said.

"Unplug the wireless router for minimum 20 seconds then plug back in. If left switched on for long periods they get tired, like us & need a break"

Immediately back up to full speed, without even having to restart the computer.

flicka - 2011-01-16 8:33 PM

I've just had a similar experience with my Internet connection getting slower & slower. Then saying it could not connect to numerous sites.

I received the silmilar advise as others have said.

"Unplug the wireless router for minimum 20 seconds then plug back in. If left switched on for long periods they get tired, like us & need a break"

Immediately back up to full speed, without even having to restart the computer.

If that fails simply take an axe to the offending bit of kit. It won't fix it but you will certainly feel better.

Archived