headlight problems!

big olga

Hi, Last week I noticed that the l/h headlight dipped beam was not working but main beam was still there; I know only one burns out at a time. So I set out to change the bulb.

I found a box of bulbs that came with "Big Olga" in one of the lockers ,great I thought. So I tried to put the RING lamp into the hella fitting but could not close the spring loaded fitting ,then it dawned on me that they were the wrong bulbs!!

I bought a lucas one with the three prongs on it, fitted ok

time for switch on---still the same---- ;I made a note; side lights ON-- l/h much brighter than r/h.

Headlight Dipped r/h on l/h off.

headlight main beam l/h on r/h off! l/h very bright

I thought relay; changed the relay still the same!

Has anyone come across this type of thing before?

Best Wishes Dave and "Big Olga"

I agree with Derek check the earths first. From a wiring diagram for the 207 - 408 family I have the earth wire is probably brown and each light unit has its own short earth wire to to somewhere close to the unit.

Typically this will be to a nut and bolt or self tapping screw on the bodywork. Corrosion occurs between body and wiring terminal. Usually slacking off the screw and wriggling the connector with a dose of WD40 cleans things up and restore continuity for a while.

A more permanent cure is to unbolt and make sure there metal to metal contact before applying a coating of petroleum jelly prior to reassembly.

One of the handiest bits of kit to carry is a cheap(Euroes max) Volt meter. Failing that a 12V test lamp with a probe and crocodile clip on the end of the wire to make the earth connection. At least then you could check you have 12V arriving at the headlamp contacts.

Most auto factors and many continental supermarkets have meters and test lamps.

Some makes fuse each lamp filament individually.  So, lh dip not same fuse as rh dip, etc.  If the failed filament blew the fuse to that side, it would explain the non-operative dip, and a missing or poor earth would explain the reduced intensity of the other lamps.  Chicken and egg?

Hi, I have tried the advice given by Derek,George, and brian; With changing the four fuses that control the lighting circuits , checking the earth connections [ all that I could find] I can report an improvement-- but not 100%.

After all the head scratching and sore fingers trying to put the spring loaded holder back on in the confined space behind the headlamp; I am now back to where we started last week; no dipped beam on the l/h headlamp!!

I have learned a lot in the process and I am confident that I will find the fault.

I think the Out & About fourm is fantastic!

I have had great advice in the short time that I have been signed up.

Best Wishes Dave and "Big Olga"

phpwRUpoXAM.jpg.594ea325f156d085c5ef5c0827be98a9.jpg

If earth problems are suspected its worthwhile rigging up a temporary one with a decent length of wire and touching the parts of the lamp holder that should be earthed and noting if normal service resumes.

I can confirm from the wiring diagram that all six filaments sides included are fused.

Sparks can be interesting, see my pic at the end of thread 'where have all the pics gone?' in Chatterbox

Archived