Delamination of Floor

ANN

I have just discovered that we appear to have some delamination in the floor area in the nearside locker in our Pioneer Tasman 2007 (purchased by us in July 2009) All the seals were changed on all exterior lockers in early 2010 as we had experienced some damp in this area not long after we purchased the van. The main habitation service was carried out in June/July 2010 by the dealer who we purchased the motorhome from and they gave it a clean bill of health. Our motorhome is used regularly for rallies on most weekends and is stored on our driveway so has not been standing in remote storage. The majority of time it is on mains hook up and during the bad weather we have a small oil heater on a timer and the van is checked on a regular basis. Does anyone think we may have any recourse back to the dealer we purchased the van from. Alternatively does anyone have any company they could recommend preferably in the Midlands who could assist with repair. *-)

Its not a lot on a newish van. It may be that there was in fact no delamination when it was last checked, but id still approach them and see what they say.

Thinking about it, having had to change the seals - on a very recent van, suggests they may have been failing from day one. If that was the case, the locker has had a fair bit of rain in there over the last 2/3 years, so the 'damage' will have been done before the seal changes were made.

It could be awkward getting any redress from the dealer if this is the case.

Good luck.

You should have gone back to the dealer as soon as you found damp. Instead of changing the seals yourself. The dealer may now say that you have contributed to the deterioration of the floor, by attempting a solution yourself. As you have now also told the world what you did and why, you would now possibly have no chance that they will now accept liability.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

On the other hand you may be lucky inasmuch that they don't read any forums, so give it a try, you've nothing to lose. :D

Presumably the seals were replaced under the warranty you had, and it could be argued the floor was also damaged at same time but not noticed and certainly caused by the failure of the original seals. I think you have a strong case to claim against the dealer.

If you fail to succeed then depending how damaged the wood is and extensive it may be a very simple repair and not beyond the competant DIYer.

Hi ann

if all the above fails send me a PM with your phone number or address and if you live close to me in Staffordshire I will see if I can help when I purchased my first motorhome at the time I did not even know what delamination was but I ended up repairing almost 90% of the floor it is not as hard or expensive as you think.

Mike.

Ann,

delamination of the floor isn't the 'End of the world' and quite easy to fix, It isn't necessarily because of water getting into the lockers, although it might.

I had a floor delaminate on a 'perfectly Dry' caravan that i owned in a past life. The fix was to inject the special adhesive down into the floor over the whole area. Worked well, and only cost a few quid (less than a £100). PS I have a 'Starburst' so i'll be 'testing' the floor now !

8-) Ray

Archived