Fiat reversing camera system

grahamw

On page 98 of my 2010 Fiat Ducato Owners Handbook is a picture of the optional Fiat rear view camera mounted in a plastic casing in place of the rear high level brake light. The rear high level brake light is then repositioned into the plastic casing.

It strikes me that the plastic casing could be very useful for mounting a reversing camera of my own choice and probably superior to Fiat's offering. Does anyone know if the plastic casing only is available as a separate part and has anyone maybe a part number for it. I thought I'd ask here first in case anyone has experience of it before I approach my local Fiat dealer.

Graham

Thanks Nick for the information.

I absolutely agree with your comments and would also add that the camera used by Fiat could be bought for about £40 or less. Its a very basic and cheap (to them) camera. The pricing is nonsense but a pity because it does offer a method of attaching a camera without any drilling or marking of the vehicle. Useful for future maintenance or removal.

Oh well! Will simply have to get fabricating something myself to achieve the same.

Graham

euroserv - 2011-01-18 6:06 PM

It annoys me considerably that items such as this cost 3 to 5 times as much to buy the various parts as opposed to the original option.

Nick

I had a similar experience at Burstner. A bed cover original option price £99, if you wish to (or could afford to) buy it later £365.

We bought a camera and monitor off ebay, about £40-£50 delivered from memory. It works very well and I got round the 'where to mount the camera' problem by attaching it to the bottom of the high-level rear light casing, see photos below, the wire for the camera feeds up in through an existing 'gap' in the bottom of the casing and then is fed along as required. The system is 'stand alone' in that it is not hardwired into the ignition so we can use it as a reversing and rear view camera as we please, just plugging it into the existing 12v power supply under the dash cover in front of the driver, and also means that should we wish to move it to another vehicle in the future, we can do so without any obvious signs it was ever there!

:-D

475637544_13-CameraMonitor.JPG.93ca8f99d778f940c92ace51c8c5d446.JPG

289857415_12-Camera.JPG.419af9b4529a90841ae4710bf0b468ba.JPG

JasmineAnders - 2011-01-19 6:55 PM

Wonder if you get camera shake.

Nope, no problem with our set-up at all, it works a treat! Even though its only a small camera without any infra-red lights for night time, it actually performs very well even in the dark! If we want to reverse we would have our reversing light on so that illuminates the area we need to be able to see with it anyway.

silverback - 2011-01-19 7:27 PM

nice toys Mel :-D caricature perhaps 8-) (?)

and i reckon the van needs a wash too :D

jonathan

Cheeky b*gger! The 'caricature' is of our dog Lily (Savage rather than Langtree! :D ) and yes the 'van did need a wash at the time but as we had 4ft icicles on the bungalow guttering it didn't seem the best time to start getting the bucket and sponge out! 8-)

You offering to come and wash it for me Jonathan? :->

556626733_LilySavage.jpg.d3f640ea512b211bfa9224d1176d17ea.jpg

Savage.JPG.30961ec4f227b8efb1d32d7e7974fc7c.JPG

Archived