TYRES

hobby

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-23 11:03 PM

Well, I hestate to reveal this, but I've seen Transit Mk 7 based coachbuilts, including at least one Hobby Van, on Vanco Camping tyres, as well as on Vanco 2 tyres (like ours).  I have merely assumed Conti can't/couldn't produce enough Campers to meet demand.  That, or Ford's QA on assembly isn't what it should be!  Not that I habitually crawl around campsites spying on peoples' tyres, you understand!  :-)

That doesn't surprise me greatly as Hobby (and Hymer) both have a policy of fitting 'camping car' tyres to their motorhomes as the original equipment norm.

It's also the case that Continental European motorhome buyers have become habituated to that type of vehicle having camping-car tyres as original equipment and (as regular questions on French motorhome forums and in French magazines prove) can get very up-tight when they aren't.

(Incidentally, I would have guessed that your 2007 Hobby would have "VANCO-8" tyres, not "VANCO 2")

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-23 11:03 PM Well, I hestate to reveal this, but I've seen Transit Mk 7 based coachbuilts, including at least one Hobby Van, on Vanco Camping tyres, as well as on Vanco 2 tyres (like ours).  I have merely assumed Conti can't/couldn't produce enough Campers to meet demand.  That, or Ford's QA on assembly isn't what it should be!  Not that I habitually crawl around campsites spying on peoples' tyres, you understand!  :-)

Doesn't surprise me much either, since I'm pretty sure (though the picture is indistinct), that the platform cab pictured on the motorhome section of the German Ford site is wearing Michelin XC Camping tyres.

(Mind you, the pictures for the van conversion base, and the chassis-cab on the same bit of the site show Goodyears and Hankooks respectively- no camping tyres from these manufacturers  - though of course these bases are regularly used for things other than motorhomes, so they may have used "library pictures")

Try obtaining information from tyre distributors a to the difference between standard tyres and correspnding camping tyres. The only reason I got was that campingtyres are bettr on wet grass, due to more wrap round of tread onto the sidewall.

I do not spend so mucvh time on wet grass to justify an extra £200 on a set of tyres, when considering that the load and speed ratings are the same.

If standard tyres are good enough for the driving characteristics of white van man, they are good enough for my more restrained of driving.

Ken

When I recently had to replace the front tyres on my Burstner, which was originally fitted with Continental Camping Tyres, it was more a question of availability of anything suitable, rather than a specific choice. In he end, ATS locally sourced Michelin Camping tyres, and having had these on my Rapido,was quite content with this.In fact the mileage obtained from Michelin was far greater than the Continentals, but that may be down to a different vehicle/chassis.

Pricewise they did me a good deal, and when I have needed to use ATS have always found them as good as any and better than most - both on service and price.

I understood that camping tyres have thicker side walls to make them more resistant to deforming or cracking if the motorhome is left stationary for long periods of time. Presumably this is less of an issue if it is driven regularly.

PCC - 2011-01-24 5:31 PM

I understood that camping tyres have thicker side walls to make them more resistant to deforming or cracking if the motorhome is left stationary for long periods of time. Presumably this is less of an issue if it is driven regularly.

Yeah,that's what I had always understood to be the reason..

Archived