Croatia via Slovenia?

Cattwg

I know that several people on this Forum have been to Croatia.

Is it feasible to transit Slovenia en route to Croatia from Venice without using their motorways? I’ve just discovered that I will need two vignettes for Slovenia costing about £15 each – one each way as they are only valid for one week. A monthly one also costs about £30.

That with the increased cost of the ferries, travelling though Switzerland and the Bosnia section is begining to make this an expensive trip.

Thank you.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2011-01-20 9:59 PM I know that several people on this Forum have been to Croatia. Is it feasible to transit Slovenia en route to Croatia from Venice without using their motorways? I’ve just discovered that I will need two vignettes for Slovenia costing about £15 each – one each way as they are only valid for one week. A monthly one also costs about £30. That with the increased cost of the ferries, travelling though Switzerland and the Bosnia section is begining to make this an expensive trip. Thank you. Cattwg :-D

You could save the cost of the Slovenian motorways by avoiding Switzerland and going via the Fern and Reschen passes in Austria (avoid the A12 (toll), and stick to the B171/L76 from Imst to Prutz via Landeck). 

If you enter Slovenia from Trieste (logical if coming from Venice) on the Italian SS14 (You will find a sat-nav with up to date maps pretty much essential for navigating east Trieste and onto the SS14!), you will continue onto the Slovenian 7 (E61) that will take you down towards Rijeka in Croatia.  AFAIK, the 7 is not a toll road.  The transit of Slovenia is only about 20 miles/30 minutes.  (though the queue at the Slovenian border (to re-enter the EU) coming back, can take at least that long to negotiate!) 

I assume you intend visiting Dubrovnik (the "Bosnian bit")? 

Once into Croatia, it will probably pay you to use the A7 to by-pass Rijeka, whereafter you can use the old coast road, the Magistrala, for free, all the way to Dubrovnik, or the toll A6/A1 motorways nearly to the Bosnian border, and then the Magistrala.  You can either take a ferry from Ploce to Trpanj, on the Peljsac peninsula, and go round Bosnia, or cross Bosnia via the Neum corridor (about 15 miles).  If you choose the latter, check that your insurance covers Bosnia: many, I think most, do not.

Brian,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I understand your ‘via Austria’ reasoning but we want to visit Venice again and see a little of Switzerland en route. I’ll tuck that information away for a possible future trip.

Yes, we’ll be entering from Trieste so shall use the 7 through Slovenia. As you say I don’t think it’s motorway – have been unable to find a definitive answer so far. If it is we’ll just have buy the vignette with a smile!

I’ve checked with my insurers (Safeguard) and they won’t cover Bosnia. We will use the Ploce ferry as suggested in one of your past posts.

John :-D

We travelled from Venice to Rovinj in Croatia last year and we bought a vignette as we were then going up to Lake Bled anyway. Although we went on a short section of Motorway from Trieste through Slovenia to the Croatian Border there was no sign of toll booths or checks. On the motorways up to Austria there are toll booths or at least gantries through which you pass if under 3.5T if over 3.5T you should pass through an actual booth to pay. Cameras were in evidence at the gantries.

In Austria all traffic had to drive through a parking area at 15mph on one section of motorway, a camera van and police checked vignettes

Personally I`d rather pay up!

Cattwg - 2011-01-21 8:21 PM Brian, Thank you for your detailed reply. I understand your ‘via Austria’ reasoning but we want to visit Venice again and see a little of Switzerland en route. I’ll tuck that information away for a possible future trip. Yes, we’ll be entering from Trieste so shall use the 7 through Slovenia. As you say I don’t think it’s motorway – have been unable to find a definitive answer so far. If it is we’ll just have buy the vignette with a smile! I’ve checked with my insurers (Safeguard) and they won’t cover Bosnia. We will use the Ploce ferry as suggested in one of your past posts. John :-D

Resia (Reschen) Merano, Bolzano, Trento, Verona, Padua, Venice.  Bootiful! 

Switzerland too expensive, IMO, unless over 3.5 tonnes.

kevin hawkins - 2011-01-21 9:51 PM you can buy insurance at the border for travelling through bosnia for very little cost we have toured in bosnia it is not as bad as it is portrayed kevin *-)

Can you say at which border crossing this is possible, please, because there was no such facility entering the Neum corridor in '08, despite someone saying they thought there was.  Also, do you know what level of cover you had on this insurance, because I suspect it was third party only?

Archived