Swift group Motorhome - check your V5C

flicka

Owners of SwiftGroup manufactured Motorhomes.

Swift, Bessacarr, Ace, Escape, Autocruise

Check the seating capacity stated on your V5C Registration Certificates.

Current thread on "Swift-Talk" has identified there are numerous owners with the incorrect No. of Seats (belted) relative to the actual No. in the Motorhomes.

Our is incorrect as V5C states - 2 including the Driver, where the actual No. is  - 4 including the Driver.

See - http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/forum/topics/travelling-seats?commentId=2976642%3AComment%3A56027

My V5 for my Swift vehicle was also incorrect. The certificate showed that I owned a 130bhp model whereas I own a 160bhp model and the engine number was incorrect. Swift indicated that the fault was the dealer's but they provided me with a letter from their Legislation Compliance Officer which I have presented to the DVLA.

I await developments. Others might want to check their V5's.

Our Adria Compact's V5 reads the same, that is 2 belted seats, when there are actually 4.

I contacted the dealer and was told this was normal practice with motorhomes. It was just before Christmas, and to be honest I forgot all about it until your timely reminder.

I'm not sure if there are any legal implications, but it is worth checking.

Thanks for the reminder, Flika.

Hi Sundowner

Reading the thread on Swift-Talk, implies there are Legal implications & also Insurance implications.

Whether perceived or actual I am not qualified to say, but I will be getting my V5Ccorrected by DVLA.

Note:- I informed Swift's late last night & have received the necessary documents by e-mail,from them this morning.

So, thanks Swift for the your prompt corrective action.

scramblers - 2011-01-21 11:54 AM Thanks to your post, I have checked the V5 for my Burstner Nexxo T660 and found the same problem. Burstner say 4 seats, V5 indicates 2 seats. What is involved in changing the V5, do I need documnetation from Burstner?

Hi Scramblers

The document supplied to me by Swift is on Company headed paper & titled:-
"V5C Correction - Declaration for number of travelling seats"
It then details:-
1st Stage -- (Base Vehicle make & model)
2nd Stage -- (Converters Name )
Model Name ("Nexxo T660" for you)
VIN No.

EDIT -Hereby Certify that the above Vehicle has 4 travelling seats (including Driver)

End of Edit

It is signed by their Legislation dept.

The instructions from Swift's is that you need to notify any change on the V5C section 7 box 25, then sign the declaration box (bottom left)

You must also produce Documentary evidence with a covering letter explaining the changes.

You will need to include the Registration Certificate, the Converters Declaration & the covering letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA (or your local DVLA office)

Look like DVLA may get swamped with change requests.

Correct, but I would point out that this problem is potentially far wider spread than just Swift group, or Burstner, vans.  It is the dealer alone who provides the registration information to DVLA for eventual issue of the V5C.  In effect, dealers are issued blocks of registration numbers by DVLA, so that they can make up number plates for the vehicles to be driven away.  The dealer is responsible for completing the registration process, paying the first registration fee and the VED, and completing all paperwork which is submitted to DVLA.  I'm not sure, but believe, the dealer does this on line, so there is no chance of someone at DVLA misreading the dealer's writing.  So, inaccurate information on a V5C (and it is not just number of seats, MAMs have also been found to be wrongly declared, affecting taxation class and potentially causing further insurance issues) is entirely the fault of the dealer.

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-21 12:36 PM

It is the dealer alone who provides the registration information to DVLA for eventual issue of the V5C.  The dealer is responsible for completing the registration process, paying the first registration fee and the VED, and completing all paperwork which is submitted to DVLA. 

Yes Brian, your dead right, so if I was Sundowner I would go back to the dealer, give him a good kick up the a**e, then give him the V5C for him to sort out.

After all its their mistake so why should he have to sort it out.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2011-01-21 1:59 PM

It is the dealer alone who provides the registration information to DVLA for eventual issue of the V5C.  The dealer is responsible for completing the registration process, paying the first registration fee and the VED, and completing all paperwork which is submitted to DVLA. 

Yes Brian, your dead right, so if I was Sundowner I would go back to the dealer, give him a good kick up the a**e, then give him the V5C for him to sort out.

Dave

Unfortunately this does not always apply as I bought my motorhome second hand, so the original dealer has no responsibility to me.Thanks Flicka for your post and info.

scramblers - 2011-01-21 4:16 PM
nowtelse2do - 2011-01-21 1:59 PM

Dave

Unfortunately this does not always apply as I bought my motorhome second hand, so the original dealer has no responsibility to me. Thanks Flicka for your post and info.

I wasn't seeking to imply the dealer should put it right, though I think he really should.  But even in respect of a secondhand van the dealer should, IMO, check that the V5C is correct.  After all, he has to send off the document to DVLA to register the change of ownership.  I would regard this as basic professionalism.  This is his day job, so he can surely be expected to have some knowledge, and exercise some care on behalf of his client.

When buying a new 'van it is always best to check the V5 you get yourself. Mistakes are fairly common both by the dealer and DVLA themselves. Sometimes it's just bad handwriting on the application form and on others just plain stupidity.

One new Frankia we got was registered as a 5 tonne 3ltr MOTORCYCLE!(probably the only one in existence).

It aint only the V5 - If you have your drivers licence changed (maybe for a change of address) make sure that you photocopy the old one before sending it off and check that the new one has the full list of entitlements.

Frankkia - 2011-01-21 11:07 PM

When buying a new 'van it is always best to check the V5 you get yourself. Mistakes are fairly common both by the dealer and DVLA themselves. Sometimes it's just bad handwriting on the application form and on others just plain stupidity.

One new Frankia we got was registered as a 5 tonne 3ltr MOTORCYCLE!(probably the only one in existence).

It aint only the V5 - If you have your drivers licence changed (maybe for a change of address) make sure that you photocopy the old one before sending it off and check that the new one has the full list of entitlements.

When I imported my 1992 Hymer S700 I filled in the forms correctly and got them checked by the Local DVLA office. I then had to post them to Swansea.

The V5c came back as a Merceedes, Renault Scenic, Pickup.

John

Hi Flika (and nowtelse2do!),

I spoke to my dealer yesterday, and he reckons that it the DVLA have allways automatically defaulted to 2 seats as soon as they read the word motorhome.

However in view of the interest shown on this thread, he will investigate further, and come back to me.

Thanks and regards Sundowner. :->

• 1 month later...

Hi

Hopefully this post will move this thread higher up the topics list.

Many people, like me, will have just purchased a new van and especially if it is from the Swift Group need to check the V5C.

Fortunately I remembered this thread as my Accent, with 4 belted seats, has come back as only having 2. Swift have sent me the documents I need to get it changed but it's a bit of a ..... that the dealer has just passed the problem to me.

So CHECK your V5C.

Dave

Hi Dave

Just to update this thread.

I found Swifts' to be very prompt with their submission of the necessary CofC and from my 1st notification to Swift's until return of the corrected V5C from DVLA was 20days.

For those Swift Group owners their contact is John Fisher.

e-mail him with your 17 digit VIN, including your contact details.

Email:- jfisher@swiftleisure.co.uk

gdf - 2011-03-15 5:45 PM

Many people, like me, will have just purchased a new van and especially if it is from the Swift Group need to check the V5C.

Why especially the Swift Group Dave? I thought it had already been pointed out that it is the dealer not the manufacturer who creates the errors.

Archived