LD lines (ferrys)

ips

Anyone sailed with the above ? just priced a return trip from newhaven (werever that is) to Dieppe in Aug for £200 ish dep on a monday ret on a sat, good times too. Looks like a good price to me but what do I know :-D

ips - 2011-01-21 1:46 PM

Anyone sailed with the above ? just priced a return trip from newhaven (werever that is) to Dieppe in Aug for £200 ish dep on a monday ret on a sat, good times too. Looks like a good price to me but what do I know :-D

Newhaven is on the South Coast about 10 miles or so aast of Brighton.....I think crossing time of about 4 hours to Dieppe, which is a nice little port/town.

However price for me is way too high, when you can get from Dover to Calais/ Dunkirk for about £50/60 return, depending how flexibile you are on times/days. Have checked it over the last couple of years since living here in Eastbourne and there's no comparison, even taking into account the saving in mileage/fuel by arriving in France at Dieppe, which is probably100 miles nearer our preferred route south/west, it's still not viable.

Don't know where you live, but guess it's most likely your trip to Dover would be easier than Newhaven, and certainly thats where the savings are to be obtained, simply due to competition!If you are in the Caravan Club try looking on their website Ferries Comparison 'short crossings', to see what else is available for your preferred crossing/times.

We are only 25 miles from Newhaven still prefer to go to Dover (95m across country or 115m around motorway).

Limited crossing times from Newhaven also it's a truck ferry so unless you pay extra for a cabin only the cafeteria to sit in, not very comfortable for over 4 hours especially as most of the bench seats have truckers spread out asleep on them.

Last time we did it took over 5 hours would never do that route again.

As you will, I think, be coming from north of London, the distance to Newhaven compared to than for Dover is not that significantly less, and the A23/A27/A26 roads are not as direct, or coherent, as the M2/M20 to Dover.  It may pay you in time/distance once in France but, IMO, only of going towards Normandy/Brittany.  If going that way, I think I'd look at Portsmouth - Cherbourg (forget Caen!) because the crossing time is similar, the Portsmouth docks approach is easy, and the departure from Cherbourg is a breeze!  Don't know about prices.

If you're coming from the north and you collect Tesco clubcard points you can get a good deal on Harwich the the Hook of Holland with Stena. Tesco give you £30 worth of ticket for £10 worth of vouchers. Works out under £200 with a cabin one way and you avoid the M25.

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-21 11:01 PM

...If going that way, I think I'd look at Portsmouth - Cherbourg (forget Caen!) because the crossing time is similar, the Portsmouth docks approach is easy, and the departure from Cherbourg is a breeze!  Don't know about prices...

Nowadays the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route is predominantly 'fast ferry', while the Postsmouth-Caen route is predominantly 'cruise ferry', so it's not easy to compare crossing times and fares directly. Distance-wise in France, there's little to choose between the Cherbourg or Caen routes if Brittany is the planned destination.

lennyhb - 2011-01-21 5:10 PM

We are only 25 miles from Newhaven still prefer to go to Dover (95m across country or 115m around motorway).

Limited crossing times from Newhaven also it's a truck ferry so unless you pay extra for a cabin only the cafeteria to sit in, not very comfortable for over 4 hours especially as most of the bench seats have truckers spread out asleep on them.

We have used this route the last two years as we needed to visit a relative nearby and I must admit we found the price not too bad for a four hour crossing. The boat was not at all as described above. We travelled on the Seven Sisters and agree with the company's web site blurb:-

"The Seven Sisters is a superb new ship launched in 2006 and since operated by Transmanche Ferries, a sister company of LD Lines. She is capable of speeds of up to 22 knots (more than 40 km/h) and is equipped with ultra-modern stabilizers, therefore offering optimum comfort whatever the sailing conditions.

Tastefully decorated, the excellent leisure facilities of the Seven Sisters include a magnificent panoramic lounge, a bar, restaurant, boutique, internet, two children’s play-areas and 50 high-quality cabins. Relax and enjoy yourself because for a few hours, you’re on a cruise.*"

Perhaps things have changed for the better since Lenny travelled L D Lines/Transmanche ferries. Hazel

• 7 months later...
lennyhb - 2011-01-21 5:10 PM

That is completely wrong. There are three comfortable seating areas with reclining seats that are akin to business class aircraft seat. There is a also restaurant , a cafe and a huge seating area at the rear of the boat. Two crossings a day- one in the morning and one in the evening.

The crossing takes FOUR hours, not five.

I don't know why people are so against the crossing on here. It is extremely convenient for people in the area and anyone who is visiting Normandy. As most people in East Sussex know, the drive to Dover is awful on the A259 and the alternative on the M25 can be a nightmare if you are caught in a jam.

Considering how far the boat goes down the coast of France I do consider it excellent value for money, particularly as it is more than double the duration than the likes of the P&O and Seafrance Dover to Calais services.

Newhaven is not difficult to get to either and there are facilities at the port and just outside. The queue for the ferry is never particularly long either.

As in the a couple of comments above you say the boats have improved, I was booking a ferry on Tuesday for this Saturday so I thought I would give it a go as we only live 25 mins from Newhaven.

It just does not make economic sense best quote was £296 so I booked P&O Dover/Calais sensible times out at 2:10pm returning 3 weeks later on Sunday at 12:05pm cost £71.04.

Taking an average fuel price between UK & French prices of £5.72 gal, getting to Rouen, Dover route would use an addition 12.5 gal and that's going the long way via M25 at cost of £71.50.

Overall cost saving of £153.46 and we get more time in France, I like ambling down the French coast and spending the the odd night here & there.

This spring, having travelled over to France via Dover/Calais we decided to try a slightly more 'western' route for the return. We used LD lines from Le Havre to Portsmouth (we live in Somerset). The fare was £150 for the 'fast' trip and the boat was a brand new, much larger, version of the fast catamaran used out of Weymouth.

We will definitely consider this route next time over. 

lennyhb - 2011-09-01 11:19 AM Just had a quick look at Portsmouth LeHavre, night crossing £251, sensible daytime crossing £413, I'll think I'll give it a miss. If I could get a daytime crossing for £150 I would give it a go but not at £413.
Bear in mind that it was the end of June when we returned on LD Lines. The £150 was for the 'fast' crossing, to 'cruise' it was only £130. 

Prices now are bound to be higher and I would agree that the lower differential/premium on a 'peak' Dover crossing makes this more attractive even for us in the West Country.

Whether you are keen on driving or prefer to sit and pay the extra is up to you. After you have crossed the water check on where in France you are aiming. France is like the spread of a fan once you've landed.

As an older person I 'mostly' prompt for avoiding the driving although the cost is important.

From Portsmouth I prefer St Malo to Cherbourg, much better to sit quietly on the boat than drive, me thinks.

Newhaven is the nearest for me but I've only used it once in 20 years.

art

I have relations in the South West Of the UK and live in the S.W of France. We have tried every option to travel between incl. Dover -Calais, the Brittany Ferry routes and L.D lines.

We eventually settled for L.D who we have been using now for five years ( The Portsmouth-Le Havre route) the crossings suit us, we arrive in the UK at 21.30, ready to overnight having spent the voyage in a quiet lounge with reclining seats and the other way we arrive in Le Havre after a good nights sleep in one of their comfortable sleeper seat cabins at 08.00 ready for the off.

I have yet to have the impression that these are 'Trucker' lines indeed they compare very favourably with any other company. The prices shown earlier do not match our experience, we find they are at least 50% less than the comparable BF prices!! ( Mind you, I always book well in advance :-)  )

Went Newhaven/Dieppe in I think 2006. I remember it was a new ferry andI think must have been the Seven Sisters. Very smart and relaxed but the staff said it had originally been built for a company for use in Portugal but the company had gone under before delivery. They said the kitchens had been fitted out for Mediteranean type food and not hot early morning food desired by the English punter.

With P&O deserting Portsmouth it was a good option for us as it is a long slog to Dover and even more boring on the way home . Obviously the Dover ferry is cheaper but many only cost in the price of fuel from Calais to say Rouen compared with Dieppe/Rouen and forget the fuel getting to Dover as opposed to Newhaven.

Still looking for a stressfree way round Rouen!!

bobalobs - 2011-09-03 8:24 PM............................Still looking for a stressfree way round Rouen!!

Coming from where, and heading to where?

I haven't found the route/s I take from A28 down toward Evreux too stressful. The worst bit is the big, and apparently unending hold up, between Nonancourt and Dreux, around St Remy-sur-Avre. However, I think I've now sussed a way round that - yet to be tried in anger! :-)

Perhaps it is just me . We came down from Dieppe on theN27 with the aim of going to Bernay without resorting to the Peage and ended up on the Rouen inner ring road in the rush hour. Put me so off that the next time we crossed the Seine further downstream at Duclair which is crosscountry but better for my bloodpressure!! A simpletons guide to traversing Rouen with road numbers will be gratefully received. All that has been suggested to me isto buy a satnav!!

Archived