campsites scotland

kevin hawkins

If you follow the coast road from Glasgow it will proboly take you weeks to get to Oban if you're looking around :D

But seriously, there are plenty of sites, I always recommend C&CC big book my 2006 issue lists about 250 sites north of Glasgow, a big area I know, but thats still plenty of sites.

BTW This June we hope to be going from Applecross northwards.

Depends how long you've got but hugging the coast from Glasgow northwards is not a serious option. I would go via Loch Lomond (Caravan Club and Camping & Caravan Club sites there) to Oban (sites CC. & C&CC across Connel Bridge) then follow the main route towards Durness (good site there) via Inverness (site at Bunchrew) and Ulllapool (good site) branching off when it takes your fancy. There are plenty of sites all the way. Please dont be put off by all the shouts about midges. You may encounter them and if you do move on. Contrary to popular belief they are not universal either in time of place !

Hi Kevin,

We had a fabulous 3-week trip, right round the coast of Scotland in late August/early September last year (2010). If you have copies (or can get hold of them) of MMM for August Sept. & Oct. 2010 the the route ( plus campsites used) that Andy & Marion Stothert used is (coincidentally) almost the one that we took. We used a 'mix' of full-scale campsites, 'C.L.'-type sites and a nearly 'wildcamping' one at Shieldaig.

You don't tell us what make/type of 'van you have -- if it is one of those 'horse-box'-sized coach-built motor homes (or worse, R.V's!) then some of the coast roads ( e.g. the hairy B869 route from Kylesku to Lochinver!) and smaller 'sites won't be suitable, nor would they be if you need electric hook-up and toilet/washing facilities everywhere, but, if you are small AND self-contained -- read on.

After working our way up Scotland via the Great Glen, with stays on sites at Luss (C&CC next to Loch Lomond) and Onich, we did a route around the East Coast ( very nice C.C.site At Dalchalm/ Brora) and across the 'top' of Scotland (on a varied mix of campsites) before visiting Cape Wrath, from the Sango Sands site at Durness,and heading down the West Coast.

If you have the Andy Stothert articles mentioned above, then my suggestions will repeat his recommendations. Either way, I would suggest that you buy this month's MMM -- which has 'Escape 2011' included with it -- from page 243-248 it has most of the campsites in the Highland area -- C.C., C&CC and privately-run sites.

Our route was in total reverse to what yours is likely to be -- if you get that far! After Durness we used a wonderful little C.L. at Kinlochbervie ( from the Caravan Club Handbook) then to the private/commercial site at Scourie ( for a boat trip to Handa Island). Then the scary coast road (see above) to the site at Achmelvich ( no dogs on this family-friendly site -- I think that all of the others welcome dogs -- but as we don't have one I'm not quite sure). From there we went to another wonderful sea view site -- at Ardmair (above Ullapool) overlooking Isle Martin.

Another series of stunning coastal views: Little & large Lochs Broom, Gruinard Bay and Loch Ewe took us to the lovely (and sheltered) C&CC site at Poolewe , from where we walked to the famous Inverewe Gardens.

Our final site was the 'wild' site at Shieldaig, before turning for home and the C.C. A/S site outside Stirling ( in a walled Garden) so that we could get to the M6 without going thro' Glasgow!

Other people can tell you about routes/sites below Kyle of Lochalsh (you might well wish to visit Skye -- there is a good site there, I'm told) but I hope that this has been helpful -- have a great holiday -- Avon 'Skinsosoft '

should deal with any midges!

best wishes,

Colin.

P.S. Even where the C.Club H'book had missed out a C.L. site (at Kinlochbervie) I was able to find it from the O.S. (1/50,000) map -- several other obscure ones also signposted on these -- could be very useful if you are 'stuck'

C.

P.P.S. If there is anything else that I can help with, just ask -- or send me a P.M.

C.

There are some nice camp sites on the peninsula towards Mallaig especially at "The Back Of Keppock" near Arisaig.

Also a really isolated site at Ardtoe near Acharacle. If you have a small boat or a canoe there are hundreds of islands to explore and some wonderful hill walking away from the popular area of Lochaber.

If you cross the Corran Ferry to Moidart there is Resipol Campsite just past Strontian. There are also plenty of wild camping outside the usual school holiday period.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived