Downloading POIs onto Tom Tom

DonB

Yes, again...We have been sent a very helpful email from the Portuguese tourist office, including this link http://www.campingcarportugal.com/index2_uk.htm

which is a list of Portuguese aires. There is a satnav download option, which says download the zip file and extract it and proceed as usual!

I do have POIEdit installed but do not know how to connect this with that download. I know all this has been on the forum many times but I do it so seldom I always have problems! If somebody could look at the Portuguese site and lead me through it click by click I would be very grateful. SheilaB

This is not for the feint hearted and I cannot be responsible for any loss or damage to your existing files. If you are not confident don't do it, you could well end up with a non working Satnav But here goes

First you need to ensure you have a program called winzip installed on your computer, if not you need to download it from here.

http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm Its not free but you can use it for up to 45 days free of charge. Make a note of where on your PC you download it too, then install it by double clicking on it.

You then need to access the files on your satnav device, the easiest way is if it has a removable memory card containing the maps take it out and connect it to your computer via a memory slot or USB card reader. Otherwise you will need to connect your satnav via a usb slot, windows may at that point install some software that enables you to see the contents of your satnav.

I would urge you to make a full copy of all the files on your device or memory card to your hard drive in case you mess up the next step.

Browse to the POI portugal zip file you downloaded, double left mouse click on it, it will then open in Winzip, this is the important part, you need to click on the "extract" tab at the top of the Winzip window, then select your Map folder from the window that opens this can look very complicated to the casual user,and this could be direct to your memory card/maps, or your device/maps depending on how you connect your device. The correct map folder will be Western_Europe if you have all of Europe. BUT DO DO make a backup in case you get it wrong then you can just copy the backup back to your memory card/device. Hope that helps. I would be happy to do this for you but you would need to send me the memory card and pay for all postage costs.

:-)

DonB - 2011-01-22 2:41 PM

Yes, again...We have been sent a very helpful email from the Portuguese tourist office, including this link http://www.campingcarportugal.com/index2_uk.htm

which is a list of Portuguese aires. There is a satnav download option, which says download the zip file and extract it and proceed as usual!

Thanks for the info on the download Sheila, have just added them to my Tomtom ready for the off in Feb.

H

PS If you use Tomtom "Home" sofware (free download from Tomtom) it will add or delete POIs for you. You still need to download them and unzip but then it's simple.

Glad to be of service! Yes I have Tom Tom Home, it was the unzipping and extracting I didn't understand, then I realised that the download opened into an unzipping programme, and I was able to figure out how to extract the files to Tom Tom. I have tested it and it works. The only thing I haven't yet figured out is how to put the four (there were 5 but I deleted one cos it was empty!) Aires files into one POI folder! SheilaB

Archived