Autosleeper Eton

sysinfo

sysinfo - 2011-01-23 4:29 PM

Hi, just about to get a 2007 model with the Ford 2.4 engine. Only done 6600 miles. Wondering what Mpg I am likely to get.

Bob

I notice you've asked about this on the MHF forum.

I believe the Eton was fitted as standard with the lowest power version of the 2.4litre motor (90PS) coupled to a 5-speed gearbox. This is not a great recipe for economy - on the other hand Eton is a quite compact design and probably won't be that heavy even fully loaded.

I can't remember if Auto-Sleepers offered higher-powered versions of the 2.4 motor for Eton, but, for the 90PS powerplant, upper-20s to lower-30s mpg would be a realistic expectation.

Guest Tracker

Any modern motorhome has sufficient power and torque to go almost anywhere these days - all that varies is the velocity and noise level - and mpg.

Drive it with 'cut and thrust style' like you would when in a hurry in a car and expect low to mid 20's - drive it gently avoiding high speed (much above 60 mph) cruising and lower 30's should be possible.

One final word - if you are asking because it helps you plan and budget fair enough - but if you are concerned about rising fuel costs or have a limited budget - maybe, with respect, a motorhome is not the right mode of holiday transport for you - unless you are happy to curtail the mileage to an affordable level?

Thank you for the reply, cost is not a problem, curiosity is. I have had in the past 1 Winnebago Brave, 2 hymers 1 rapido, 2 bessacars 1 swift kontiki, 1 autotrail, 1 burstner delfin, 1 autosleeper Symbol 2 Vdubs plus numerous caravans.

Ps mileage is not a problem as we go to France Italy, Switzerland and Austria.

Bob

sysinfo - 2011-01-23 7:11 PM

Thank you for that, the more I post it to the likely I am to find someone who has one, but if I can get into the 30s I will be happy. Can it be remapped for better economy and power?

You could certainly get more power by having the standard Ford ECU settings fiddled about with, but it's very debatable that you'd get better economy if you exploited that power increase.

The best place to seek advice (though not necessarily good advice!) about this would be via the Ford Transit forum

http://fordtransit.org/

We have a 2008 Eton. The engine is the 2.4 100ps version. I have not measured fuel consumption but it is not alarming. We normally cruise at 60 for economy but it will hold 70 without any trouble. Toured the Scottish Highlands this summer and it was more than powerful enough for the terrain there. I think you will find the standard engine perfectly adequate.

Archived