German Wanderlust

kelly58

kelly58 - 2011-01-24 12:02 PM BBc2 Fridays 19.00 Julia Bradbury walking in Germany just watched the 1st program of a 4 part series on BBC i-player a must see for anyone thinking of motorhome touring of Germany.

Being a walker, I've posted elsewhere about this particular program.

I was somewhat disappointed with both the content, and the quality. Not up to the standard of the UK-based series of the past IMO. 

I thought it made the Rhine Valley look considerably less attractive than it really is, and that the colour and focus of the filming was less then decent. (The particular area South of St Goar is one that I've cycled and walked a few times).

Having said that, I will watch the other programs both out of interest and to see if they improve (both the Bavarian Alps and the Bastei - the subject of the next two) are areas we've visited several times, and the last is the Baltic Coast, which might be a target for later this year.

Am I the only one to have enjoyed it? Not sure I saw the one on the Rhine but saw several others and thought they gave a reasonable introduction the the areas being dealt with. I was particularly interested in the programme which visited Rugen as we plan to go there this year.

David

starvin marvin - 2011-01-25 8:41 AM

kelly58 - 2011-01-24 12:02 PM

BBc2 Fridays 19.00 Julia Bradbury walking in Germany just watched the 1st program of a 4 part series on BBC i-player a must see for anyone thinking of motorhome touring of Germany.

Is this a computer program? or a TV programme?

Originally a TV series but then available of the BBC iPlayer via a computer?

David

I think the program is intended to be of interest to walkers rather than people like us in Motorhomes :-S but I did find it interesting having flashed along the Rhine from the Koblenz area and only finding I think!! one Stal; we might just go back this year and take the time to walk and find some of the hidden places that J.B. found.

I have often watched her walking in the Lake district doing the Wainright walks.

I certainly will be watching the rest of the series with interest she might just give us an idea of just where we are heading for this Summer.

Having seen many, if not all, of her programmes I think she does a very good job.

However I did get the impression that the German walks were a little restricted..........however that was from the point of view that we travel on the roads and not on our feet as she does.

Having lived there for 20 years she taught me a few new things.

We enjoyed the programme althought we thought some of the walks were a bit tame compared to those she has tackled in the Lake District and other places. Perhaps she is getting old. I know she said her german was poor but she could at least have learnt the correct pronunciation for the River Elbe.

I enjoyed the program and thought it was aimed to give a taste of the areas not aimed at serious walkers like the Wainwrights. It must be hard to make a general interest/holiday program to fit into the time slot. I've decided to have a 2 week June holiday to Munich and bavaria so it sold me a holiday :-)

• 3 weeks later...

....well, I've watched all 4 now, having today caught the one on Saxon Switzerland on iPlayer as I forgot it on Friday.

I remain fairly disappointed with the series, though in fact the last was, IMO, probably the best. Even then it didn't show off the best of the area, which we've now visited twice, and would go again.

I wanted to see the one on Rugen to make a decision on visiting or not, but it left me underwhelmed. Given my similar reaction to the other three programs, which covered areas I know fairly well, and have enjoyed, is this simply a reflection on the program, or is it really not a prime target for visiting?

Ah well, decisions decisions. No doubt, as usual, the preferred destination will change several times between now and when we set off.

*-)

Archived