Dead flies in skylight!

pepe63xnotuse

We've accumulated several dead flies in the "glass" cavity of our large skylight.I've only had a quick look at it so far but does anyone know how to go about getting to 'em?

They obviously got in somehow but I can't see where !? *-)

(..the skylight,which has "Dometic" on the "glass" and "Seitz" on the hinges,is of the windup type...)

Thanks

Chris

..just had another quick look.

..and I can see a couple of 3-4mm holes,(diagonal to each other in the corners)and one of them is missing a blanking plug..I'm assuming this is how they got in :-S

..the only option I can see,is to gently open the lower hole up,so that I can feed a small flexible plastic pipe in and them attach that to the hoover...and when I've finished,seal the hole with a grommet..

If they got in, they should also come out through the same sized hole!

Why not tape a narrow pipe to your vacuum cleaner pipe and then do the same at the hole (or hold it tightly against it) so that no air can get in to 'reduce' the suction, then turn the vacuum cleaner on ... you might find that they are sucked out anyway.

I had the very same thing!!

One of the plastic bungs in the corner of the skylight was missing and the flies loved the hot air - but then, without food and water, they passed away!

To solve, I took the skylight off, then using a powerfull vacuum cleaner, I shook the flies into the area of the hole - they then popped out one by one!

I have now bunged the hole up with clingfilm wrapped into little plug, can't even see it is there. Stopped the FLIES.

As I suggested, if you use a vaccum cleaner, so long as you have 'sealed' the pipe so it is only pulling the air from within the skylight (ie full suction) it should certainly suck the flies out without a problem even if the flies appear to be too big, as they're dead they'll be ... er ... as they say in the Fry cooking oil advert "crisp and dry" so should break down in order to suck them out anyway.

You've nothing to lose by trying it .... :-D

But if you try the above, keep an eye on the temperature of you cleaner, as the sucked air is what cools it and with lower flow it will overheat.

Now ther is a clever trick you can do, you get a duster and some polish and polish the inside of skylight, then with the correct 'polishing' movements of cloth you create static and the flies bounce arounds atracted by the static and eventually you work towards hole and suck out with vac cleaner, better if you remove other plug so some air can get in. Then cover holes with some clear self adhesive film. Pierce with a fine sewing needle or pin a tiny hole in the tape to allow air when it expands to get out.

Now this might all sound a bit iffy, but I have done it twice with success, a bit of skill is needed in how you wipe with the duster, but it can be done.

If you fail, do other suggestion and remove window and shake down to one of the holes and suck out.

Archived