£8 a gallon, or fuel tokens anyone

ekka

Further to my previous post just a few days ago about our fuel hitting £1.37 per litre, anyone getting nervous or angry yet at the prospect of £8 a gallon, or being issued with tokens, as reported in todays press. Not sure how high up the queue they will put our leisure vehicles though, and how many tokens we would get. Anyone in Dover got digs to let.

It's the old trick used by politicians. They spread it around that petrol could reach £8 a gallon.

Then when they only put it up to £7 a gallon we will all be very grateful to them.

The token system seems to be just speculation at the moment and I can't see that happening. Why should it ? There's no shortage.

Of course if they did introduce it they would also add another few pence to the petrol prices to cover the cost of administering the scheme.

;-)

nowtelse2do - 2011-01-24 11:03 PM
ekka - 2011-01-24 9:38 PM. Anyone in Dover got digs to let.

Not in Dover, but at £8 a gallon (your supposed to think in litres, looks lot less you see) I'll have a small self contained flat (sorry' apartment) on my drive to let. Sleep's 2 adults + 2 children.

Dave

I'm likely to spend most of my time in my driveway sitting in my van if these fuel prices continue to escalate. We use our van at every opportunity but this may well mean not going anywhere in future apart from sitting in it ! !

Hi, I dont know what sort of tokens you are talking about, but I already use tokens, those issued by Bank of England. Those labelled '1 pound' come in small round metal pieces which are designed for supermarket trolleys, so you can load up the trolley with other items and then use paper tokens labelled '10 pounds' and exchange them at the till for a couple of packets of cornflakes if you are lucky.

If you wish to fill you fuel tank then you need to take a handful of the paper ones labelled '50 pounds' .

Abroad, we use similar tokens , only this time they are called 'euros' and there is very little difference between them and 'pounds', . you still need buckets full to go on a tour in your motorhome, and that causes more problems. The bigger the bucket, the heavier the van, so you need an even bigger bucket full to get yourself back home again.

I understand that between WW1 and WW2, in Germany they found they need a wheelbarrow full of their tokens at the time (called 'Marks') to buy a loaf of bread.

Politicians call the problem 'inflation', and pump it up by printing more and more paper tokens, and letting the bank hide them away in their vaults, and then giving them out to their staff as presents at christmas.!!!!!

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2011-01-25 8:36 AM

Hi, I dont know what sort of tokens you are talking about, but I already use tokens, those issued by Bank of England. Those labelled '1 pound' come in small round metal pieces which are designed for supermarket trolleys, so you can load up the trolley with other items and then use paper tokens labelled '10 pounds' and exchange them at the till for a couple of packets of cornflakes if you are lucky.

If you wish to fill you fuel tank then you need to take a handful of the paper ones labelled '50 pounds' .

Abroad, we use similar tokens , only this time they are called 'euros' and there is very little difference between them and 'pounds', . you still need buckets full to go on a tour in your motorhome, and that causes more problems. The bigger the bucket, the heavier the van, so you need an even bigger bucket full to get yourself back home again.

I understand that between WW1 and WW2, in Germany they found they need a wheelbarrow full of their tokens at the time (called 'Marks') to buy a loaf of bread.

Politicians call the problem 'inflation', and pump it up by printing more and more paper tokens, and letting the bank hide them away in their vaults, and then giving them out to their staff as presents at christmas.!!!!!

tonyg3nwl

The story I read ( and I know you cannot believe everything in the papers ) is a proposal to issue fuel tokens, a bit like a ration book I guess that you could use or sell/give to someone else. The question posed is if you were not in an "essential" user group would we even get enough tokens to get us of our drives. But I'm glad to see from the replies so far no one it seems apart from me is getting too stressed over this particular proposal.

ekka - 2011-01-25 11:42 AM

tonyg3nwl - 2011-01-25 8:36 AM

tonyg3nwl

The story I read ( and I know you cannot believe everything in the papers ) is a proposal to issue fuel tokens, a bit like a ration book I guess that you could use or sell/give to someone else. The question posed is if you were not in an "essential" user group would we even get enough tokens to get us of our drives. But I'm glad to see from the replies so far no one it seems apart from me is getting too stressed over this particular proposal.

I don't buy newspapers so the only info I have seen on this subject is from on-line sources.

One thing I have not come across is the term " user groups " and I wonder where you have seen that ?

I don't really see this scheme getting off the ground because it has nothing to do with the price of fuel.

If the price was £8 or even £10 a gallon, what difference would it make having a token ?

One day petrol rationing may well come due to the increasing world demand, but I don't think that time has come yet.

Best not to get stressed over what politicians say, it's what they do that counts.

;-)

Well so far this lot have demonstrated they do NOT carry out manifesto pledges, like reform human rights legislation, have a referendum on continuing EU membership, or the tuition fee's sage, or reforming immigration. And I was one of the idiots that voted for them, perhaps UKIP next time.

I think by now the French would have taken to the streets, perhaps we are too apathetic and that is what they rely on. And let's not forget the pricing structure on fuel here in the UK, with tax, then vat on that, otherwise fuel would be about half what it is, so this is not about supply in isolation adding to costs.

There is talk about a rebate for HGV users, perhaps I'll get my van reclassified LOL............Oh well

Hello Campers,

During my lifetime the inexorable increase in fuel duty (referred to as an 'escalator') has been 100% necessary to encourage people to use more fuel efficient vehicles or to use them more efficiently, thereby helping the UK to meet it's obligations to reduce CO2 emissions. The money raised from this was going to be used to improve public transport and the infrastructure in order to provide people with an efficient and sustainable alternative to personal mobility.

Lovely.

I am pleased to say that from my own observations that it has (at least in part) been an immense success. People do indeed buy more fuel efficient vehicles and the demand from the consumer has led to the manufacturer's developing much more clean and efficient engines.

Bravo.

Indeed on the streets of the UK today I reckon that there are fewer cars, and less congestion than I can ever remember; but this may be more due to the efforts of the world's bankers to reduce employment and hence the need to travel. Nonetheless, I do believe that the stick has prevailed where the carrot would not have done and we have been taxed off the roads and so this has been a well executed plan and that is to be applauded.

'clapping of hands'

Unfortunately though, the public transport infrastructure is inadequate, expensive and inconvenient to all but city dwellers. The taxation of fuel and VED rises have resulted in our older vehicles being worthless and anybody that actually needs anything more substantial than a shopping cart on a day to day basis is severely penalised.

'furrowing of brows'

The bit that is bothering me most though is that the continued escalation of duty on fuel is no longer justified. The cost of fuel has reached a point ( and will continue to rise) and this is evidence of the demand and eventual scarcity of the raw material leading to traditional 'market forces' dictating higher cost. Petrol and Diesel prices are now a matter of 'self-rationing' for the man in the street and careful consideration must be given to the cost of your planned journey.

This must surely be what the politicians had in mind!

Now though, we continue to suffer increases in the duty regardless and cause hardship to the public while no longer having a 'green' flag to wave. We get it! Enough!

The risk now is that the cost of fuel will have a very adverse affect on inflation due to the fact that increased costs for delivering our food and LCD televisions will be passed on to the consumer.

In a world where nothing is produced locally, and nobody works any more this place will resemble Zimbabwe in no time at all!

If the fuel price does reach £8.00 per gallon, are we really going to just sit on our behinds and moan quietly at the injustice that our government is pocketing £6.75 of it?

I expect that students will offer courses in organising and executing ineffectual demonstrations, but will that be enough?

I would suggest that a large scale demonstration is called for and that it should be as simple to execute as possible, causing noticeable effects while at the same time risking no illegal activities.......

This Royal wedding/other spurious holiday season; why do we not all stay at home? Drive nowhere and spend nothing! Our government has generously given another bank holiday (to be funded by employers) and expects us to spend millions at the pub or travelling on the magical weekend, and I say stuff em!

'applause'

This ends Nick's Tuesday essay.

N

Sorry EKKA for being to brief, its a political thing, for years my wife has wanted another tour of scotland, but as I cant take the dominance of scottish influence in our parliament the increase in fuel pricing has given me the perfect excuse to moan about it, pathetic I know but their we are.

TD

Archived