Electric bikes / electric bug killers

Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn - 2011-01-24 11:07 PM 

And have you used those electric mosquito killers? Are they effective? Can you recommend one? Thank you, Gwendolyn

The cheap 240v plug-in type that use the little "cardboard" tablets, sold as travel assessories & at airports, work for us.

But no use if you don't use sites with hook-up. 

Re electirc bikes- we have ezee liv bikes - medium priced and excellent. Wouldn't be without them.

There are now loads on the market it would be worth looking at pedelecs.co.uk It's a forum for electric bike geeks who are very knowledgeable and most helpful. You will also find reviews of bikes there. Also look at www.atob.org.uk for reviews and technical stuff.

Cheers

I notice Sunlova only do mail order, I don't see how it is possible to buy a bike without taking it for a fairly long test ride any decent cycle shop will let you this.

There are just too many variables, frame geometry, frame size, position of bottom bracket, handle bars, stem etc, that need to be taken into account. Not much point in buying a bike then leaving it in the garage because it's not very nice to ride.

A good dealer will make sure the bike is suitable & set up correctly for you & change parts on it if necessary.

If by "electronic bug killers" you mean the type that you plug in and either emit a high pitched whine, and/or a red light..........they don't kill bugs. They don't even claim to.

What they claim to do is discourage mozzies from hanging around in that room......and are thus preventative.

In our experience, having lived in Spain for 8 years now, they are utterly useless. Absolutely and totally useless.

The older type, which plug in and into which you insert a little blue tablet which then gets warmed and gives off a poison vapour, do seem to work at killing the mozzies in that room, so long as the room/MH is sealed so no new ones can get in.

The mistake that many people seem to make is that they plug these jobbies in only when they are about to go to bed. Don't.

It takes quite a while for the low-dose poison to build up to a level where it can kill any mozzies.........and in the meantime they will still be attacking you as you lie there with bits of skin exposed.

Instead plug one in, with a new tablet, in the room where you are going to sleep, a couple of hours BEFORE bed-time, and then close the doors/windows to that room. Thus the mozzies in there will have died before you use that room.

What we find works an absolute treat and is cheaper too is simply a can of ordinary fly/bug spray.

A blast of that in the room just before bedtime knocks down all the bugs/mozzies in a couple of minutes, then so long as the doors and windows remain closed (or have mozzie nets covering them), no more can get in through the night.

Re bikes. no, only pedal type

re Bug killers, We have a solar powered 'insect killer', the type that has a blue(uv)light and an 'electric fence' surrounding it. It is small, portable and is fitted with a couple of rechargeable batteries and a small solar panel on top.. We stick it up on the van roof when on site to recharge or hang it on a nearby tree as appropriate, and in the evening bring it into the van to catch the bugs etc.

you are supposed to clean out the dead beasties once in a while, but to date have found it necessary. Does it work? Not very well, and I had a very painfull bite on my toe last year to prove the point. It is true that the bite might have happened during the day, possibly while at the pool.

Costs about 10 pounds, but flyspray cans are cheaper and much more effective, Name of device "gotcha solar powered insect killer"

I wonder if anyone else has a similar device and what success or otherwise.

tonyg3nwl

Gwendolyn - 2011-01-24 11:07 PM And have you used those electric mosquito killers? Are they effective? Can you recommend one?Thank you,Gwendolyn

Still got one of the '240V blue light type' in the attic.  It certainly kills OK but first it must attract them and no matter where I positioned it they all do a stopover to feed on me on the way to it!

Now we use one of the electric vapour type like the scent dispenser used in the house. But the refills we use are from Spanish supermarkets as the product used in them is not licensed for sale in the UK.  Works well for us but just need to remember to stock up in Spain.

Not sure about the health implications?

• 3 weeks later...

I too have found the bug killers that have the blue light & supposed to attract the bugs pretty useless - smear loads of a repellent on your self 7 around any open windows / vents.

Regarding Electric bikes I can say that Freego & Whisper are of the good makes - decent build quality & good back up service. You are definately best buying from a 'Bricks & Mortar' shop that specializes in them - generally avoid mail Order particulary Ebay there's an awful lot of rubbish being sold that way.

Cheap often means crap quality & non existent back up of service & spares - another factor is the weight. If you are likely to use a rear rack to carry an Electric Bike bare in mind they are MUCH heavier than an ordinary bike - an awful lot of racks & their mountings cannot safely hold the weight

Archived