LED LIGHTS

Rocking Ron

I replaced all of my halogen units with so called 10-15 volt DC safe units at great cost from Ultraleds, sadly after very little use the majority started to fail. Ultraleds said voltage spikes were responsible and that voided their warranty. Not sure if the ones you are talking about are "voltage safe" but my experience is keep your halogen bulbs with you in the van just in case they fail too.

I and I' sure other forum users would be interested to hear of others experiences with LED "bulbs"

Van just over a year old. Four of our LED strips have been replaced under warrenty, first one started to fail within a couple of months others progressively throughout the year. Now another of the originals has started to go.

I have contacted the Converter and the LED manufacturer/importer!

Waiting to hear the outcome.

David

Yes, 100,000 hours life span eh, unless you have the "voltage spike", voltage surges, lightning strikes,bad luck, or a pigeon take a poo on your roof. Are we being conned I wonder. Interested to hear others experiences as well.

I have bought some from Ebay direst from Hong Kong now at a fraction of the UK price, not a surprise that they too have started to fail, but at least they only cost a fraction of my Ultraleds units.

ekka - 2011-01-25 1:29 PM I replaced all of my halogen units with so called 10-15 volt DC safe units at great cost from Ultraleds, sadly after very little use the majority started to fail. Ultraleds said voltage spikes were responsible and that voided their warranty. Not sure if the ones you are talking about are "voltage safe" but my experience is keep your halogen bulbs with you in the van just in case they fail too. I and I' sure other forum users would be interested to hear of others experiences with LED "bulbs"

....Interesting.

I had problems with an initial set of the older voltage-tolerant LEDs I bought from UltraLEDs which they tried the same argument on. I told them that the voltage I measured in my 'van was stable and within the quoted limits, and as they sold them specifically for motorhomes, they ought to be fit for purpose - at which point I got the offer of replacement. I didn't have any more problems with this set.

For the current 'van, I needed a different mount, and bought several more LEDs, again from UltraLEDs. These lasted a very short time, with a consistent failure rate. (again, the voltage was well in spec).

They initially (and very quickly) pleaded that there had been a known issue with a bad batch, and immediately sent me several replacements. Unfortunately, these also failed at consistently the same rate.

On complaining about these, they told me the issue was mine, and I mustn't order anything more from them (though they did refund the original order cost).

I spent the refund on similar, but not quite the same, items from Aten Lighting (who I'd had some different items from previously), and these have worked perfectly ever since.

Having got replacements and/or money back, my ultimate level of complaint about UltraLEDs customer service is not high, but seeing that someone else has had problems with their products reinforces my (previously isolated) concerns about the quality.

I replaced all my halogens with LEDs bought from "Suntek" in Hong Kong - very cheap compared to UK prices.

All have been in the 'van for a year now with no failures and that includes one on a dimmer switch - well pleased with both the quality and the light output which is better than the halogens they replaced.

I have to say I was involved in protracted email correspond with the bloke at Ultraleds, not the most helpful chappie I have to say having spent around £160 with him ( I have a lot of lights fitted in my van )

He said he would replace some despite me "quote" his words having had them six months, the argument that during this time they had probably been used less than 20 / 30 hours in total was lost on him. These too started to fail, he told me he had never had a complaint and it must be all down to me. I too took detailed readings with my meter to confirm the voltage was well within spec, he was not swayed by that either. So in short my experience was £160 down the drain, so much for the longevity claimed, and the less than useless guarantee.

I too was told not to order anything further from them, I guess they just hope sufficient people do not make a fuss or claim so they van make a stonking good profit, Hong Kong price 50p, their price anything from £7 upwards, nice work if you can get it ! !

Frankkia - 2011-01-25 2:53 PM

I replaced all my halogens with LEDs bought from "Suntek" in Hong Kong - very cheap compared to UK prices.

All have been in the 'van for a year now with no failures and that includes one on a dimmer switch - well pleased with both the quality and the light output which is better than the halogens they replaced.

Thanks Bernie, any chance of telling us the website / supplier you bought them from, a Google search threw up nothing, thanks, Ekka

Hello, for info:-

I replaced all of the lounge high current lights 4 1/2 years ago with leds from China via flea bay.

Four are single led narrow beam, individually switched, mounted under the eye-height cupboards and can be "directed" slightly (On to any reading material or the curtains etc.)

Four others are "multi-led" wide angle and form the "lounge" lights.

All are of the MR11 format and are fitted into Screwfix brass plated units. ie. cheap!

The lounge lights were adapted (butchered) and fitted via collar to the existing sockets that are fitted into the ceiling.

The lights are "Warm white" rather than the harsher (IMO) "Cool white"

I have not had any problems with any of them. They are bright enough and when they are all "on" they use less current than one of the original lights.

Hi, I think that the new flat surface mounted led's have better voltage regulation than the old round types, I have both types in my van, some of the round ones have failed, so far the new type seem ok. I use the mains version in our home kitchen and bathroom, again no problems so far.

Brian B.

I should have clarified that all of the ones I have had that have slowly failed were the latest SMD chip ones with individual SMDs slowly failing on each PCB, these were supposed to be voltage safe for use in leisure vehicles. Out of the original 12 bought at a cost of £169 only two of the originals are working. My faith in this technology as a result has been shaken, but perhaps it's early days yet. Tends to be the case with newer technologies,and when they are working they are fantastic, I could have nearly all of my lights on for about the battery discharge of a single halogen ( 10 watt )

"Thanks Bernie, any chance of telling us the website / supplier you bought them from, a Google search threw up nothing, thanks, Ekka"

The lamps I have used for the hab area are: http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/day-white-90-lumen-g4-base-9-smd-led-bulb-12v-ac-dc.html

and I also bought these festoon type for the awning light: http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/2-x-white-1036-smd-9__led-festoon-car-bulbs-lamp-lights.html They are much brighter than the originals and cast a bright white light. The ones in the living area are soft white and you can't tell much difference from the originals except they use a fraction of the power.

Note: The supplier was very quick (to say the goods were shipped from Hong Kong) I wouldn't give the web site as much praise though as searches on it rarely find the item you want.

I've had two lots of G4 type LEDs from Aten Lighting, the oldest bought over two years ago, and they're all still going well.

Early failures of LED units is most disappointing when you consider the life expectancy usually quoted for electric lamps is based on a 50% failure rate, ie 50% survive much longer.

Voltage fluctuation sounds a poor excuse for failure when the units are intended for automotive applications and should be expected to withstand variations in supply during switching operations.

Failures could be caused by overheating of the units when they are not matched to luminaires. LEDs are heat sensitive and usually need a heat sink to dissipate their waste energy. If your existing luminaire hasn't got one the LEDs may be getting too hot!

With the right luminaire and a quality unit LEDs are a good tool, much more economical to run than incandescent, more versatile than fluorescent and nearly as efficient.

The SMD type which I have to say were fantastic when first put in. The ones I purchased were advertised as being suitable as direct replacements for halogen units into existing fittings. As these SMDs are virtually cold to the touch I'm not sure what you mean by a heat sink, and as each SMDs are individually mounted on miniature PCB boards surely like a power transistor this is where a heat sink would be incorporated if it was required, but now you have put this forward it may be worth trying to get advice from the manufacturers, if only I could write or speak Chinese. The problem is you cannot seem to get a definitive answer from the suppliers as to why they fail,and in my case the failures were each individual SMD first starting to "blink" then failing altogether. It also may well be that Ultraleds stock was sub standard, who knows, but I will be trying another supplier as you suggest.

This is an earlier thread mentioning failure of LED 'bulbs':

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16632&posts=24

Since then two of the bulbs I had fitted to my Hobby have failed, both MR16 design. One was an old-tech bulb with multiple individual LEDs and the whole front detached itself from the rear reflector during operation. The second was SMD-type and failed partially, with two or three of the LEDs no longer illuminating.

ekka - 2011-01-25 1:29 PM

I replaced all of my halogen units with so called 10-15 volt DC safe units at great cost from Ultraleds, sadly after very little use the majority started to fail. Ultraleds said voltage spikes were responsible and that voided their warranty. Not sure if the ones you are talking about are "voltage safe" but my experience is keep your halogen bulbs with you in the van just in case they fail too.

I and I' sure other forum users would be interested to hear of others experiences with LED "bulbs"

Unlikely to get voltage on the 12v supply in a Motorhome you have got a huge great battery smoothing the supply, go back and argue with them " item not fit for purpose".

I brought one lot of LEDs from an ebay UK supplier & another cheaper lot from a Hong Kong supplier also have some G10 240v ones in the house all have been fine with no failure's.

The Hong Kong MR11's were only £2.87 inc. postage.

Have a look at this web site:

http://www.philipslumileds.com/technology/thermal

You can see the construction differences with good quality Philips lighting in the above technical pages. You are right about the heat being removed from the light source, as the Philips drawing shows, but in some cases, depends on your existing luminaire (light fitting), you may need a means of dissipating the heat further. I believe about 9 sq ins of exposed luminaire surface is required to get rid of the heat from a 1W source.

All LEDs produce waste heat and like diachroic lamps, properly designed luminaire and 'lamp' combinations will throw heat in the opposite direction to their light output,ie they appear cool (thats why shops love diachroics).

Thanks for that info on the link provided, at least that dispels the illusion I was under and it may well be that the units I bought were failing due to being poor quality construction as so much of the junk that comes out of the far east is. Perhaps when some main stream manufacturer brings these units to the leisure market at reasonable cost I'll give them another go, right now I'll sit on the fence, don't want to chuck another £160 down the drain. Thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences and knowledge.

Archived