LED LIGHTS

Rocking Ron

ike - 2011-01-27 5:44 PM

One of my usual questions. Being a complete numpty and totally non technical - how easy/difficult is it to replace existing lights with LED. One of the posts mentions "butchering". Is that necessary?

Thanks

ike

It depends on the light-unit and on the LED-bulb.If the LED-bulb is dimensionally identical to the one it is replacing (say, with an MR16 spot-lamp bulb) then there should be no difficulties.If the LED-bulb is quite different in shape/size/desgn to the one it would replace, then it may be impossible to fit it or the light-unit may need serious 'butchering' first.Motorhome light-units often employ small G4 'capsule' halogen bulbs as standard and early LED-bulb equivalents often required light-unit modifications before replacement could take place. Nowadays LED-bulb G4 equivalents are much more compact and (if you are lucky) can be fitted without modifying the light-unit.

Bump in case anyone is interested in the replies on this and also as an aside to anyone who wants a good battery operated LED light.

I bought a Rolston 61770 72 LED camping light (see image below) today from a local shop for £3.99 (they had a choice of blue or black) which seems a good price seeing as I've seen them at shows etc for more than that (they're on Amazon for £9.16 at the moment).

We got it to put in our front overcab locker (aka the glory hole) as its so flipping big you can't see in the back/corners of it when grappling about for stuff. By heck is the light bright!!!!! 8-) As it has 3 magnets on the rear of it, I'm going to attach some washers to the top of the locker to pop it onto, that way if I need a bright light elsewhere I can just take it out as needed, it also has the hook on it so I can use it in an awning, for repairs, in the van's garage etc.

1425113858_Rolson72LEDcampinglight.jpg.f2b75700eccda5e71119b416c311ae1f.jpg

tonyishuk - 2011-01-25 4:04 PM

Intresting to note that some LEDs are polarity sensitive (Febs MMM article)

That could be a problem in some fittings.

Rgds

Just to add that further reading MMM says that some LEDs are designed for 240V to 12V mains fittings, I dont know what difference that makes regarding the tolerance in supply voltage and life.

But whilst buying some 12V Halogens for our home kitchen from the local Trade supplier. I asked if he had any 12V LEDS suitable for use in in caravan / motorhome.

He said that ones he had supplied from stock for 240V to 12V had been returned not infrequently as faulty when used for camping use, however when used in the domestic environment there appeared to be no problems.

So he would not recommend that I was sold them !

Nice to hear that people still think before they try to take your money.

Rgds

Guest pelmetman

This year I had to replace the bulb in one of our reading lights............its only lasted 20 years 8-)

As for LED lights, I have to say I dont like the quality of the light they give out, I much prefer the warmer light you get from the old bulbs :D

pelmetman - 2011-01-30 1:54 PM

This year I had to replace the bulb in one of our reading lights............its only lasted 20 years 8-)

As for LED lights, I have to say I dont like the quality of the light they give out, I much prefer the warmer light you get from the old bulbs :D

You are assuming that all LED light-bulbs produce the same 'white' colour, but this is not the case. 'Cool white' LED-bubs produce a light that is distinctly bluish, whereas 'warm white' LED bulbs produce a light colour much closer to that of a conventional non-LED bulb.

Cool white LED-bulbs are fine for shop displays and (possibly) for use in domestic kitchens, but warm-white LED bulbs are probably the better choice for motorhome interiors.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-30 2:35 PM

pelmetman - 2011-01-30 1:54 PM

You are assuming that all LED light-bulbs produce the same 'white' colour, but this is not the case. 'Cool white' LED-bubs produce a light that is distinctly bluish, whereas 'warm white' LED bulbs produce a light colour much closer to that of a conventional non-LED bulb.

Cool white LED-bulbs are fine for shop displays and (possibly) for use in domestic kitchens, but warm-white LED bulbs are probably the better choice for motorhome interiors.

But do they last 20 years (?) :D

Hello,

Sorry to be a little late in replying.

I used the term butchering to describe modifying both the MR11 lamp holder and the existing Bessacarr lamp holder.

I used the upper part of the Bessacarr lamp holder so that I could fit the modified lamp-holder into the existing socket.

Because there wasn't the space to accommodate the MR11 "bulb" I "stuck" them to a "collar" cut from ply.

I will try and find photos of the lights, or take some and post them on here later.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-29 6:51 PM

Mel

Just out of interest, is there any insulation in your Chausson's overcab locker?

It has a double skin and we haven't had any condensation on it and nothing in it got damp either (magazine, towels etc) so I would imagine so, I'm not sure how I can find out though ... any suggestions??! :-D

I did buy some matting to stick on the inside of the locker in case we did get a problem with condensation but don't know whether to bother now or not! *-)

Mel

As the GRP moulding is double-skinned, then you should be OK condensation-wise and, if you haven't found stuff getting damp in there by now, you are unlikely to find that happening in future.

I had a feeling that, when I last poked my nose into a Chausson's overcab locker (in 2004?) the GRP moulding looked like it was uninsulated single-skinned. Perhaps that was a wrong impression.

Sticking matting on the locker's interior surfaces can't do any harm and should help to minimise rattles if anything starts to move about in the locker while travelling. Anyway, as you already have the matting, you may as well use it.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-02-01 8:30 AM

Mel

As the GRP moulding is double-skinned, then you should be OK condensation-wise and, if you haven't found stuff getting damp in there by now, you are unlikely to find that happening in future.

I had a feeling that, when I last poked my nose into a Chausson's overcab locker (in 2004?) the GRP moulding looked like it was uninsulated single-skinned. Perhaps that was a wrong impression.

Sticking matting on the locker's interior surfaces can't do any harm and should help to minimise rattles if anything starts to move about in the locker while travelling. Anyway, as you already have the matting, you may as well use it.

It may be that some of the earlier models were not well insulated, 'ips' warned me about this last year as he found that his was very cold in winter and lined his with carpet, but his is the 2009 model I believe, whereas they might have changed it for 2010 as they did restyle the front locker a bit.

When the weather is a bit warmer I'll put the matting in anyway as, as you say, I've bought it so might as well use it. :-)

PS: You do know that we're gonna get 'bollocked' don't you Derek for going off topic!

:$ :D

See if I care...

There's actually a John Wickersham article on LED lighting on Pages 87-88 of the latest (February 2011) Caravan Club magazine. This shows an LED replacement for a G4 halogen bulb and it's easy to see how it might be necessary to remove parts (eg. the protective glass) from a light-unit to obtain enough clearance for the LED-bulb to fit.

• 5 months later...
Guest 1footinthegrave
I can only suggest you go do your advertising somewhere else, how many more threads are you going to disrupt. Or do what most businesses do and PAY for your advertising. >:-(

Archived