Fitting external antenna socket.

deerhound

Is there a best place to fit the external aerial socket on my Swift Royale 590 2000yr? The cupboard on wall to left of main door has the aerial booster and probably this might house the satalite receiver, the box below it houses the gas cylinders and no way of getting coax through there, would it be wrong to drill through from outside to come out inside the cupboard where the aerial booster is, (this would mean external socket would be above door?) or just drill through the side near the wheel arch and lead coax up outside of cupboard wall, (this would look unsightly) This is to enable me to use yagi type aerial as the small round type on roof is useless and also to use satalite dish etc. Dont want to drill where I should not. Thanks for any help. :-(

You need to fit the socket on the outside, as close to wherever its needed on the inside. As long as its not going to foul anything, and you can access it from the inside easy enough to do the connecting.

ps just make sure the hole/joint is watertight!

We ran ours through the outside electrical socket point. Just enough room to make a small hole for the cable with plug put onto end of coaxil which went into wardrobe and up to booster. We had seen this arrangement on new motorhomes and thought we'd copy, cheaper than external point and no drilling into van!

Hi, I fitted an Vision Plus External Tv& Sat Socket £16.00 .The kit comes complete with fittings and two 5mtr lengths of white cable.

I had to drill one 22mm hole for the twin cables to go into the van and four 2.5mm holes for the s/s self tappers. I know what you mean about drilling holes in your Motorhome!

I measured three times to ensure that the hole entered the wardrobe; but I was 1/4 of an inch out and drilled the end of the wardrobe wall! But this practice hole became usefull later[and was sealed and covered by the unit cover] you have to put both cables through the cover before you screw it in place--[ the fitted ends are too big to push through the 22mm hole from the back] The pilot hole was the correct size to test the drill size for the self tappers 1/4inch drill! a happy accident! The cables pushed through the insulation and I cut the hardboard in the wardroble wall to let the cables through.

I was pleased with the job and the unit is neat on the outside wall of the van.

Good Luck Best Wishes from Dave and "Big Olga"

phpxEGaNJPM.jpg.412f697bfc4c68977e223b2b27ae5274.jpg

Lorrie - 2011-01-26 8:54 PM

We ran ours through the outside electrical socket point. Just enough room to make a small hole for the cable with plug put onto end of coaxil which went into wardrobe and up to booster. We had seen this arrangement on new motorhomes and thought we'd copy, cheaper than external point and no drilling into van!

Good idea - I think I'll copy that! :D

Archived