Camping Card International

John  Anne

Advice required please.

How essential is it to have a CCI when holidaying in France? We bought one last year for our two week trip and never used it. We did try to present it on one or two occassions but the sites seemed only to be interested in our ACSI card.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

John & Anne *-)

John & Anne - 2011-01-26 8:47 PM

Advice required please.

How essential is it to have a CCI when holidaying in France? We bought one last year for our two week trip and never used it. We did try to present it on one or two occassions but the sites seemed only to be interested in our ACSI card.

Thanks,

John & Anne *-)

Well if you only use ACSI sites I assume you don't need a Camping Carnet, but there are hundreds of non ACSI sites.

As we also use a lot of municipal sites we have always taken a Carnet with us.

Guest pelmetman
Not had a camping carnet since the late 70's :D Nowdays they seem more interested in our passport, than the ACIS card, although I did notice it changed the price B-)

When ever I am asked for my Passport I hand them the Camping Card and they accept it, after all its got all the information they need and of course offers the campsite limited insurance cover if you run off without paying. I do agree that with the ACSI Card they tend not to bother with any other form of ID. Some campsites offer a discount to holders of the CCI. The only country where I have had a little difficulty is Itally where a few sites have insisted on seeing the Passort.

David

We have a CCI card and always offer it at a site. It is usually accepted as suitable ID and is quite often retained until departure.

This applies to France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Austria, but usually not Norway (they seem uninterested).

spospe - 2011-01-26 10:10 PM

We have a CCI card and always offer it at a site. It is usually accepted as suitable ID and is quite often retained until departure.

This applies to France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Austria, but usually not Norway (they seem uninterested).

In Norway and Sweden we used their own Scandinavian Camping card which was accepted everywhere.

kelly58 - 2011-01-27 11:52 AM We use the CC/ASCI card but have never had a CCI card , so where do I get one from ? please

Camping and Caravaning Club, or Caravan Club, and possibly Motor Caravaners' Club.

Full name Camping Carnet International, hence CCI.  It is not a discount card, but it carries an automatic third party/public liability insurance.  It will generally be accepted in lieu of your passport, and in some cases - though not all - in lieu of both passports.  It will frequently be retained by the site reception for the duration of your stay, and is sometimes accepted in lieu of a deposit for an electronic barrier "key".  Many French municipal sites give a discount of around 5% in recognition of the insurance.  If you both want to retain passports, it may be worth considering getting a carnet each.

Are the CCI's still available ?

If so are they only valid for year of issue ?

I tried the Caravan Club website & search gave NO results.

General search came up with this:-

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3606

Although the CTC reason for discontinuing issue should not apply to the Caravan Club as they are already an Insurance provider under the FSA regulations.

flicka - 2011-01-27 1:55 PM

Are the CCI's still available ?

If so are they only valid for year of issue ?

Still available from (at least) both CC and C&CC at a charge of £5.50.

AFAIK, they are still valid for 12 months from date of issue (or more correctly, valid for the start/end date on the card - I have had mine dated to the start of the holiday).

flicka - 2011-01-27 2:13 PM

Thanks Robinhood

I will shoot an e-mail off to CC.

Q: Are Camping Carnet International & Camping Card International the same thing. I think so, but not having had one previously I'm now confused.

See:

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/extras/campingcardinternational

...which should answer the question (I've always had mine from the C&CC).

The only reference to obtaining one (separately) I could find on the CC site was at the bottom of:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your-trip/overseas-trips/overseas-caravan-sites/overseas-sites-network 

Try here: http://tinyurl.com/6zjbthc  It seems to have been re-named to Camping Card International, although I had thought that was just what was printed onto the UK version.  There are 4 UK sources listed, the three I gave plus Hymer Club International, though I think you have to be a member to get it from them.  You'll probably have to ring either CC or CCC to get the card.

I wouldn't worry too much about CTC, that is the Cycle Touring Club!  :-)

John & Anne - 2011-01-26 8:47 PM

Advice required please.

Thanks,

John & Anne *-)

We are not generally site users and I have from time to time had both ACSI and CCI cards and hardly ever used them. Having said that I used my 2010 ACSI card in Spain in Jan this year and paid 15E instad of 19ish euros.

I don't understand this reluctance for not leaving your passport at reception, we do this at hotels all over the world!

I always keep a photocopy of our passports in the van if it gets lost or stolen I can always prove who I am, which seems better than getting chipped like the dog!

Seriously sites usually ask for your passport for the info their government require, and will, in my experience always photocopy your passport if you ask for it back. They will also return your passport, if you pay there and then for your stay.

Will I buy another ACSI & CCI for this year, no its a waste of money if you free camp loads.

starvin marvin - 2011-01-27 5:47 PM
John & Anne - 2011-01-26 8:47 PM Advice required please. How essential is it to have a CCI when holidaying in France? We bought one last year for our two week trip and never used it. We did try to present it on one or two occassions but the sites seemed only to be interested in our ACSI card. Any thoughts and advice would be welcomed. Thanks, John & Anne *-)
We are not generally site users and I have from time to time had both ACSI and CCI cards and hardly ever used them. Having said that I used my 2010 ACSI card in Spain in Jan this year and paid 15E instad of 19ish euros. I don't understand this reluctance for not leaving your passport at reception, we do this at hotels all over the world! I always keep a photocopy of our passports in the van if it gets lost or stolen I can always prove who I am, which seems better than getting chipped like the dog! Seriously sites usually ask for your passport for the info their government require, and will, in my experience always photocopy your passport if you ask for it back. They will also return your passport, if you pay there and then for your stay. Will I buy another ACSI & CCI for this year, no its a waste of money if you free camp loads.

If your passport is stolen, you will have trouble if you try to re-enter UK without it, and a great deal of hassle getting a replacement abroad.  So, best avoided if possible.

Some site receptions are better than others: you are where you are when you stop, so you can take it or leave it (literally!), but if you do refuse to leave your passport, they will probably refuse to let you in.  As you say, some will return it immediately, taking a copy, but not all.  Some will take payment for one night on arrival, returning carnet or passport then and there, but others insist you pay the following morning.  On balance, I just prefer to have it under my control, rather than someone else's.

Many European countries require you to be able to prove your identity if requested to do so.  Their citizens carry identity cards, we do not, so cannot comply if challenged.  Potentially, more hassle.

Easiest, therefore, and good protection against theft from reception, or even leaving without collecting it, is to leave the CCI instead.  That way, you can present your required identity document if you have to and the worst that can happen is you forget the CCI.

I'm not at all happy at this legal necessity to carry passports, because of the rather greater danger from pickpockets, and would be far happier if we could have Euro ID cards - at least for travel within Europe - reserving the full passport for travel outside the EU, but that seems far too simple an idea for UK governments to grasp.

malc d - 2011-01-26 11:06 PM

spospe - 2011-01-26 10:10 PM

In Norway and Sweden we used their own Scandinavian Camping card which was accepted everywhere.

malc d

We also have used their card (in 2001 and 2002), but it was more expensive than a CCI and did not seem to have any advantage over it.

we get our CCI from the RAC -

you need to be a member of one of their member clubs because of the insurance cover

have had it dated in advance to match our ferry dates without any problem

although some Scandinavian sites will accept CCI [mainly Denmark] they prefer that you use their card

some of the CCI discounts can be quite good

many sites don't seem that bothered about qualifying dates either - we've used old cards without any problem

just head over the water and ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't wait :D :D :D

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-27 6:07 PM
starvin marvin - 2011-01-27 5:47 PM
John & Anne - 2011-01-26 8:47 PM Advice required please. How essential is it to have a CCI when holidaying in France? We bought one last year for our two week trip and never used it. We did try to present it on one or two occassions but the sites seemed only to be interested in our ACSI card. Any thoughts and advice would be welcomed. Thanks, John & Anne *-)
We are not generally site users and I have from time to time had both ACSI and CCI cards and hardly ever used them. Having said that I used my 2010 ACSI card in Spain in Jan this year and paid 15E instad of 19ish euros. I don't understand this reluctance for not leaving your passport at reception, we do this at hotels all over the world! I always keep a photocopy of our passports in the van if it gets lost or stolen I can always prove who I am, which seems better than getting chipped like the dog! Seriously sites usually ask for your passport for the info their government require, and will, in my experience always photocopy your passport if you ask for it back. They will also return your passport, if you pay there and then for your stay. Will I buy another ACSI & CCI for this year, no its a waste of money if you free camp loads.

If your passport is stolen, you will have trouble if you try to re-enter UK without it, and a great deal of hassle getting a replacement abroad.  So, best avoided if possible.

Some site receptions are better than others: you are where you are when you stop, so you can take it or leave it (literally!), but if you do refuse to leave your passport, they will probably refuse to let you in.  As you say, some will return it immediately, taking a copy, but not all.  Some will take payment for one night on arrival, returning carnet or passport then and there, but others insist you pay the following morning.  On balance, I just prefer to have it under my control, rather than someone else's.

Many European countries require you to be able to prove your identity if requested to do so.  Their citizens carry identity cards, we do not, so cannot comply if challenged.  Potentially, more hassle.

Easiest, therefore, and good protection against theft from reception, or even leaving without collecting it, is to leave the CCI instead.  That way, you can present your required identity document if you have to and the worst that can happen is you forget the CCI.

I'm not at all happy at this legal necessity to carry passports, because of the rather greater danger from pickpockets, and would be far happier if we could have Euro ID cards - at least for travel within Europe - reserving the full passport for travel outside the EU, but that seems far too simple an idea for UK governments to grasp.

Brian, I respect your views here, but it all strikes me as speculation, with a dose or two of a belt and braces view from someone who it seems to me to be (and I apologise if this is inaccurate) a non or a very very minimal risk taker. As a long standing (now sitting) football supporter, I personally know people who in a drunken stupport have lost their passports. Did they have any real problem getting back into the the UK?...not on your life, just cost them a few quid, certainly not the end of the world. As regards a Euro ID, no thanks, very happy with my British passport.

There is NO way I would give up my passport to a camping site :-S the CCI card cost £5 + but a replacement passport cost you in excess of £70 .

I dont think you have to be a member of the clubs to get one you ust ring up and tell them what you want and they put you on the relevant dept;

maggyd - 2011-01-27 9:19 PM

There is NO way I would give up my passport to a camping site :-S the CCI card cost £5 + but a replacement passport cost you in excess of £70 .

I dont think you have to be a member of the clubs to get one you ust ring up and tell them what you want and they put you on the relevant dept;

you have to be a member of an associated club

who do you 'just ring up'?

B-)

Archived