cleaning the roof of the MH

duetto owner

A dirty roof is what causes the black streaks that plague motorhomes, not rubber window seals so often blamed.

Its surprising how filthy the air is around us, which we also breath in, which can also be blown in on the wind, take the brown dust that we sometimes get from the Sahara.

If the price of fuel continues to rise, cleaning the van will be our only enjoyment. :-(

vindiboy - 2011-01-30 3:23 PM

My theory is that if you cant see it don't clean it

But cleaning it allows you to see if there are any problems up there under the muck ... we had a large seal across the top of one of our previous motorhomes, where the overcab moulding joined the rest of the roof, and it was only with washing it that it was noticed it had got some 'cut' marks in it which needed sealing before they went right through.

Mel B - 2011-01-31 7:43 PM

vindiboy - 2011-01-30 3:23 PM

My theory is that if you cant see it don't clean it

But cleaning it allows you to see if there are any problems up there under the muck ... we had a large seal across the top of one of our previous motorhomes, where the overcab moulding joined the rest of the roof, and it was only with washing it that it was noticed it had got some 'cut' marks in it which needed sealing before they went right through.

Blimey Mel, I've seen seagulls and crows on top of ours,

but a large seal ??????

You must have been too close to the coast I think. ;-)

nuevoboy - 2011-01-31 7:59 PM
Mel B - 2011-01-31 7:43 PM ............. we had a large seal across the top of one of our previous motorhomes, ................
Blimey Mel, I've seen seagulls and crows on top of ours, but a large seal ?????? You must have been too close to the coast I think. ;-)

They will free camp on beaches, you see.  It was low tide when they parked......................................:-D

I've just come up with a brilliant solution. Why not cover the roof with the same plastic sheet that racing drivers use as tear-off strips on their visors the when the roof gets dirty all that would be needed would be to remove the outer strip.

My nurse, who looks after me in my less sane moments thinks it's a brilliant idea, unless she's just humoring me.

Colin Leake - 2011-02-03 3:38 PM

I don't know if it is still available but Halfords used to sell a rotating car cleaning brush on a long handle that would be ideal for cleaning roofs. Next time I go in one I'll have a look.

Colin, I think Halfords stopped selling these because there wasn't much call for them. Apparently there weren't many customers with rotating cars.

;-)

Thought it might save you a wasted trip anyway. *-)

I'll get my coat....

Archived