motorhome registration in france

nailsea12c

I am looking to buy a winniebago motorhome to wander in southern spain/portugal/france during the winter. I do not want to bring the vehicle back to the uk so I would like to know if anyone has re-registered an american motorhome in france/spain, and what did you have to do to get over the certificate of compliance.

Tom

What will you do with it after the winter? 

Within the EU, you must be resident in a country to register, tax, or insure a vehicle in that country.  The vehicle will then have to be periodically tested as in UK (MoT test), although the frequency varies depending on country, and on vehicle type/size. 

As a generalisation, it will be far easier, and probably cheaper overall, to register, tax, and insure the vehicle in UK (as that seems to be where you are based), and then take off around Europe.

I would also suggest it will be easier still if you do this in a European made motorhome, based on a European base vehicle, than with an American import, where spares and servicing may not be widely available throughout the countries you intend visiting.

If you want left hand drive, buy in France or Germany, which will be cheaper, get it imported back to UK, re-register etc in UK, and then go off.

Hi,

Isn't there some rule in France, that you cannot register a motorhome with a door from the living quarters that exits on same side as the traffic. That virtually debars UK vans, but Winnibargos are probably OK in that respect.

I have read that Jap grey imports are unregisterable in France .... but I've seen a few. ????

Archived