All time CL price high?

LordThornber

We've been staying at a CL regularly since it's opening in 2003. That said, for various reasons, it's about 12 months since we last went. It was £10 a night, a figure we considered to be fair value for money.

Imagine my surprise to see a 50% price rise to £15 a night. We're staying there soon and I'll report if there's any substantial improvements - not as it needed any though. I will of course attempt to ascertain the reasons for the 50% rise from the owner.

Please, no comments along the lines of don't go then, stop moaning, pay your money take your choice, etc. etc. etc., I'm merely expressing my surprise at the increase and asking if anyone has indeed paid more.

Has anyone paid more for a CL?

Martyn

Like any small business they are being hammered with increasing costs apart from utilities water,sewage etc. It is economies of scale,insurance costs are increasing especially now when people will claim if they trip over a blade of grass. A 5 van CL may find it difficult to cover the costs.Nevertheless I would be interested if you can find out why the 50% increase.

Most we have paid for a cl was £12 for a cc cl in east yorkshire. Very nice site with hook up but no shower or wc.

Has the owner of your cl done some ground work or something and therefore considers the price rise justifiable, would have to be VERY good to warrant £15 pn though. Incidentally we charge £6 pn for basic (but very nice, clean site with 2 hardstandings and 1 acre field with views over open countryside) site with no hook up. We recently spent a few quid and a lot of hours installing paddock fencing and the 2 hardsatndings plus we planted and landscaped as well and we couldnt justify a price raise of 50%

Oh and just to put things into perspective I dont think there are many 5 van sites that acctually make any profit to speak of, unless you were charging £10pn minimum and had a full site most of the year. More of a hobby really.

Lancashire, c&cc members only.

Site is listed on the above "campsite finder"

Not sure if I am allowed to blatantly advertise it or add a link here so if you would like an info sheet please pm me your email address.

Guest pelmetman
ips - 2011-01-28 12:26 PM

I've heard the owner is a grumpy old git :D (lol)

pelmetman - 2011-01-28 12:55 PM

ips - 2011-01-28 12:26 PM

I've heard the owner is a grumpy old git :D (lol)

Site is acctually owned by mrs ips ... she isnt grumpy at all, but your right the unpaid maintenance/gardener etc is a grumpy git :-D

Guest pelmetman
ips - 2011-01-28 4:43 PM

Site is acctually owned by mrs ips ... she isnt grumpy at all, but your right the unpaid maintenance/gardener etc is a grumpy git :-D

Sorry Mrs ips I know how you feel:D its a shame nowdays you just can not get the staff (lol)

pelmetman - 2011-01-28 5:14 PM

ips - 2011-01-28 4:43 PM

Sorry Mrs ips I know how you feel:D its a shame nowdays you just can not get the staff (lol)

LOL ... (lol)

nowtelse2do - 2011-01-28 5:04 PM
Dave Newell - 2011-01-28 1:25 PM I'm going to Dorset this weekend for two nights on a CL advertised at £3.50 a night, I ll let you know what its like and if it is indeed £3.50 a night :D . D.

I hope the decimal point is in the right place Dave. 8-)

Dave

Oh I don't know, I wouldn't object to paying £0.35 per night :D .D.

We were at a cracking independent campsite in Northumberland, all the facilities and everything in for £15 a night. We wanted to stay on longer, but were struggling as they were busy.

There happened to be a brand new CC CL over the road - a field with leccy, and that was it, for the same £15! I told them they were having a larf! *-)

ps we managed to get another couple of nights where we were after all. ;-)

If it's the one I think you're referring to Martyn, at that price it doesn't have facilities either. I'm typing this from a CL a mile further down the same road, hard standing, electric, aerial & water supply on bollard, toilets and showers, £13.

Personally, my limit for CLs is £15. If at that limit I expect facilities though.

I use CLs as well as CC sites but some CL sites are equal to or more expensive than CC sites for me as I holiday on my own.

The CC charges per person rather than a flat rate including 2 persons as the CLs and most commercial sites seem to do. This penalises those camping alone but it doesn't stop me using CLs as I prefer the smaller, quieter nature of CLs.

However, I'm off the the CC Broadway site next weekend for a week as a heated toilet block is nice this time of year and it's only costing me £10.60 per night. B-)

John

How Much??????? - 2011-01-29 2:41 PM

We were at a cracking independent campsite in Northumberland, all the facilities and everything in for £15 a night. We wanted to stay on longer, but were struggling as they were busy.

There happened to be a brand new CC CL over the road - a field with leccy, and that was it, for the same £15! I told them they were having a larf! *-)

ps we managed to get another couple of nights where we were after all. ;-)

We also gave the Yorkshire war cry (HOW MUCH) when they told us what they charged (lol)

We've booked into a CL at Guyzance for spring bank instead :-D

Well I'm here on the CL near Blandford Forum in deppest darkest Dorset. Its a huge feld but there doesn't appear to be any facilities at all, I tell a lie I've just spotted a stand pipe but I've also just been told by the owner that the water's frozen. No problem as I have everything I need on board. I thought CLs were limited to 5 vans at any one time, there are 12 caravans in various positions around this field.

Anyway it is only 3.50 a night, its good firm ground and level with plenty of space so we're not on top of each other and I've got a cracking 3G signal on my phone so t'internet is up and running quite well.

D.

Archived