All time CL price high?

LordThornber

The main requirements for a CS site are two water supplies, (one for drinking the other for cleaning/etc) a sewage dump of some sort, waste/rubbish bin.

The site must have liability insurance and a saftey certificate for hook ups if it has them.

Maximum number of caravans/motorhomes/trailertents is 5 and the C&CC allow 10 tents. For a maximum of 28 consecutive days only.

Regards Pat

OK, here goes.

The CL is just the same as it always was. That's an observation - not a complaint. The owner had done some groundwork, nothing major, just some tidying around the grass edges.

The water situation has actually got worse. The single tap for drinking water is frozen, fair enough but the owner has done his best to box in and insulate his own outside tap, that's frozen also at times.

So overall there is a neutral situation of improvements, as I said in the OP, it didn't need improving.

We haven't had the opportunity to speak with the owner, and if we don't it will be quite sad as the prospect of us returning at this price are slim to nil. It's a shame though, we really enjoy our stays here, quiet and nice easy walking into the town and by the canal.

Martyn :-(

Having spoken to a few CL and CS owners they are finding more caravans are using the hookups for everything. Heating, Cooking, Water heating to save themselves the expense of gas.

One site I was on there was a van that had to go out and buy gas when he used £5 of electricity in one night. I used just under £1 on the adjacent meter point. The high use van had not even brought a gas bottle with them. This site had fitted meters as his electricity bill had gone through the roof from the year before. Another owner said if the electricity use went much higher he would have to cease being a CS site.

If people insist on this amount of electricity use, the prices for all will go up or more metering will appear.

Add other costs into the equation and the prices have to go up.

John, fair comment. Particularly about the rising cost (and use possibly) of electric, but, that said, the rise at the CL in question is 50%.

That's going some in my view. I could understand it if say it was say 12 - 18 months old (and he hadn't established any cost/usage patterns) but it's coming up for 8 years old now so there must be another reason for the rise.

I suppose there's also the diversity amongst owners to consider. Some no doubt will run them as a hobby but some will want a tangible return on their expenditure.

Martyn

The point regarding the increased use/cost of electricity is a valid one, I have a CS site and my electricity bill has gone sky high in the last couple of years!

I mentioned on another thread that if one of my campers uses the 10amp supply at it's max for 24 hours that is 57.6 units and that will cost just over £8 in electricity @ 14p per unit, so as I still only charge just £9 there is not much left to cover other expenses let alone a small profit!

I have bought 5 electricity meters and shall be having them installed in the very near future and will then reduce the nightly rate but charge for the cost of electricity used, which as I understand can only legally be resold at cost price!

Regards Pat

Thats correct you can only re sell at cost. Nothing to stop you putting a £1 service charge on the pitch fee though.

Seems to me that having none metered hook up is a bad idea because caravans / motorhomes having paid there £3 pn hook up or whatever are going to want there moneys worth so the fan heater is left on all day while there out walking the kettle is boiled frequently and the slow cooker is left on for 8 hrs etc etc you get the idea.

We dont have electric hook up and have no intention of installing it because I dont think we could get the cost of installation back for a long long time and also because we think that there are lots of caravaners, motorhomers having paid huge sums for there all singing all dancing vans with all the mod cons would rather be self sufficient and only pay £6 pn

The best way for CL/CS oweners to 'Manage' the high electricity bills is to fit 'lower rated' breakers in their electricity supplies ie. 6 amp. allow the user to be able to re-set the breaker when they 'trip it'. (so they don't keep bothering you to re-set it) a very cheap way of solving the problem with out going to the expense of fitting meters.

Then anyone using too high a rated appliance trips the breaker and loses their supply..... simple. Ray *-)

Just today been to see a CCC Cert Site at the Cotton Arms in Wrenbury, Cheshire. Just a pub, restaurant, shop etc in a village near the Llangollen canal.

Spoke to one of the staff. For a motorhome (19ft 6ins) £10 per night plus £4 per night for hook up and £1 per occasion to use a shower.

I don't think so!

Paul- - 2011-01-31 8:36 PM

The owner of a cl we use in Norfolk asked us (the regulars) if we wanted hook ups,

we all said we prefer it as it is......a tap, somewhere to empty the loo & £5 a night :-)

There you go then I rest my case. :-D

Just an observation. We tend to use CL's in the main and have noticed a change in the 'type' of person using them lately. Whereas us and the other 'regular' users are quite happy to not have all the 'bells and whistles' facilities including not requiring electric, there seems to be a growing number of those appearing that do.

Now my observation is, is this because people are finding the costs at full blown campsites (including the CC and CCC) are becoming prohibitive and therefore are looking to use cheaper sites but feel they cannot do without their home comforts? If this is the case and CL owners decide to upgrade to accomodate, will this mean the end to the sites that those with the same requirements and enjoyment as us look for?

Bas

Hello,

Just done a rough check on what our unit usage would be not counting the Van heater and It came to about 4kWh per 24 hours. At 15 p per kWh that's 60p......

Now we do use the Van heater in the winter, 1 kW, but once that has reached a set temp. it is controlled by the thermostat and as such not on full time.

Assuming ( Well, guessing) that it is on for a total 12 hours in 24 that is 12 more units at 15p - or £1.80.

Added together, that's an estimated cost of £2.40 and something that I find interesting.........

May be worth doing a "propper check" some time - the technology is out there.

Re the cost of CLs and CCs. Yes they do seem to be on the increase, but so is everything else. If the site is worth the £15.00 we don't mind staying there. It is only £7.50 each per night. Much cheaper than B&B.!

Dont think we frequent these sites on a regular basis, we do like the basic, quiet, out of the way sites, and being Tykes, rather keep our cash in our pockets. :-D

Archived