Habitation door security

Caroline

We have seen a lot of people have extra security on their habitation door, we have a Fiamma security handle but on offering it up to attach it

a) we would have to take the fridge out

b) the type we have will not close over the door handle which is not flush to the van

Can I ask is it really necessary to have it on a modern van (I would say yes)?

If so what do you use?

Do you have something for internal use at night as well?

i would say that additional security is very desirable, standard habitation door locks are no challenge to a thief.

Removing the fridge is not a big job if you know how.

Can't you lower or raise the height of the new lock to clear the existing handle?

Internal locks can be a simple bolt, or similar, you need to be able to open it quickly in an emergency.

A simple solution might be a "Yale" style lock if your door is suitable.

H

Caroline - 2011-01-29 9:47 AM We have seen a lot of people have extra security on their habitation door, we have a Fiamma security handle but on offering it up to attach it a) we would have to take the fridge out b) the type we have will not close over the door handle which is not flush to the van Can I ask is it really necessary to have it on a modern van (I would say yes)? If so what do you use? Do you have something for internal use at night as well?

From what you say, I think you probably have the wrong version of the Fiamma handle.  It should be possible to mount it so that either the upper, or lower, side of the loop lies over the lock.

However, within reason, if the lock itself is of reasonable quality, IMO, there is no great need for additional security devices.  If the lock is not very good, why not try one of the much smaller and neater external locks such as the Fiamma Safe Door.  It should be as good a visual deterrent as the Security handles, see here: http://tinyurl.com/6dt6y4l

Does your van have OEM (Fiat: Mercedes) cab door deadlocks?  If not, I would be inclined to fit supplementary locks to the cab doors as a first priority.  Breaking a cab window, reaching in, and releasing the cab doors is far a quicker, less obtrusive, less obvious attack than fighting the habitation door.  See here for some good quality alternatives: http://tinyurl.com/25yob8w

But do remember, there is no point in fitting "Fort Knox" locks to motorhome doors when there are plastic windows closed by plastic catches.  Strong fingers are all that is needed in many cases.

If someone is going to break into an occupied van at night they will either be prepared to take on the occupants, or will plan on fleeing if disturbed.  There are very few cases where folk are robbed while in their vans, and very few such cases indeed, where vans have been properly sited in places designated for overnight use by motorhomers.  One cannot say "never", because thieves exist, but they are rare and I think your anxiety probably misplaced.  However, that will depend greatly on where you stop.  If it feels wrong, move on, and do not stop after dark, so that you can properly see what kind of area you are in before deciding.  You need to consider locking yourselves in very carefully: you may need to get out fast in an emergency.

My feeling is to assess the real risks you want to protect against before spending money on security devices that protect against a different risk, and then consider whether there are simpler routes to security than locks.  After all, locks do not remove the risks, they merely make it a bit more difficult for an assailant to enter.  Stopping your van in low risk places is the best protection, when closing and locking doors and windows normally should give adequate protection against casual thieves, while the cleverer ones will just go and look in areas more favourable to their passtime.

Guest pelmetman

Like everyone we always try to reduce the risk of a break-in when away from the van but I am of the opinion that if someone wants to break in they will. Now I am not very strong but I know that if I wanted to break into our van I could break one of the habitation windows and just climb in!!

We have a habit of leaving a largish dog bowl outside by the door and a dog lead in a place that can easily be seen. If I was a thief and was unsure as to if there was a dog inside I would choose another vehicle.

Also when we are parked up in a busy place such as when we do shows -when I leave the van I then return, tap the door and look in the window as if I am talking to someone then wave goodbye. This way if someone is watching you leave they can never be quite sure if someone is still inside.

Sue

:-D

Thanks all.

The habitation door does seem to have two point locking and not just on the ordinary lock so we feel a bit reassured with that.

Will follow up on the suggestion of the front door dead locks.

We had come to the same conclusion about the windows, but do like the idea of the dog bowl and lead or the radio.

The other thing we thought of was removing the stirring wheel and padlocking it to the gas bottles or something, shame we can not put in in with the spare wheel and it is just to big for my handbag!

We have looked at different external door security locks but the internal gap between the door frame and the first cupboard wall is to narrow or to large if you take the cupboard wall in to the calculations

I agree with what has been posted already(..close curtains leave radio and light on)..there's not a great deal of point in trying too hard to secure a hab' door,when the vehicle has plastic windows.. ;-)

A decent alarm,that is designed for motorhomes,would be a better option(..not cheap but more effective..)

Caroline - 2011-01-31 1:00 PM Thanks all. The habitation door does seem to have two point locking and not just on the ordinary lock so we feel a bit reassured with that. Will follow up on the suggestion of the front door dead locks. We had come to the same conclusion about the windows, but do like the idea of the dog bowl and lead or the radio. The other thing we thought of was removing the stirring wheel and padlocking it to the gas bottles or something, shame we can not put in in with the spare wheel and it is just to big for my handbag! We have looked at different external door security locks but the internal gap between the door frame and the first cupboard wall is to narrow or to large if you take the cupboard wall in to the calculations

I have fitted Two,Yes Two, Milenco sliding door lock,s to our Autotrail Hab door, I have not placed them over the original double locking points on the hab door, but gone for where I could mount them with ease of tightening the retaining nuts on the inside, also being a balanced distance apart,  one fell ok for access of the nuts the other I had to drill two 1" holes in the side of cabinet to gain access to the fastening nuts,which I have since blanked off with furniture plastic plugs from diy shop, the Machine screws that came with the lock,s were too short for the walls of the M/H so a small pack of longer ones were purchased from Toolstation, the length of the screws would allow a spacer to be inserted under the lock to give extra clearance of the door should it be required, Spacer,s are available from the supplying lock Manufacturer especially for the job. as most have said the windows are the weakest part of any Motorhome, but I just like to know I have at least hindered anyone from going through the door, cab doors have internal Fiamma guardian door lock,s fitted too. Maybe just expensive piece of mind, only time will tell.  your,s is the choice

Archived