Driving Licence renewal

tonyg3nwl

Hi, The time has come around again where I am obliged to renew Driving licence once again.

As I considered renewing grandfather rights to 'over 3.5 tonne ' rating I enquired at the doctor as to cost of medical exam and was advised it would be at least £85.

After careful consideration, and bearing in mind that our van is rated 3500 max, I decided to just renew the 3500 type licence as we have no intention of changing the van in the foreseeable future, more likely the time will come to give up licence (but not just yet!!!!).

I duly filled in the on line application on tuesday and today's post arrived (2nd class stamp) at midday today (saturday), with my new licence. Is this some sort of record ?

Compliments to DVLA for a speedy return.

tonyg3nwl :-)

This is another scam. The last time I had to re-new my HGV licence the medical cost was £85 four years ago. My firm reimburse me so no expense was occurs by me but my doctor obviously new me and already had all my details in his files.

The examination takes 20 minutes and outside of practising hours, so it was his extra income. There were three of us having the medical so £255 for 1hr's overtime 4yr ago.

Dave  

£85 is good, I have been paying about £117 for several years. the BMA recomend about £130, daylight robbery for 15 mins. work, considering he has all my records. We do'nt have to use our own Doctor for the medical, so I think it is time to shop arround, as some Doctors charge much less.

Regards Marcob

Vernon B - 2011-01-30 9:15 AM Can someone answer this please? If you apply to retain over 3.5t entitlement but fail the medical does that bar you from applying for a sub 3.5t licence as well? V

No, It doesn't bar you but if you have failed the medical then it's because there is something wrong with you. So it if it is a serious problem (Diabetes, Heart problems etc,) your doctor may advise the DVLA of your condition, after all he knows why you wanted the medical. If he doesn't then you are obliged to tell them and your insurance company. So you have two choices

1) Don't tell and you get your 3.5t licence but with all the risks involved (don't forget your doctor knows your condition,)

2) Tell and you risk loosing your licence, but if the problem is treatable you should be OK.

If you went down route one, please make sure you don't injure any of my family. 8-)

Dave

Thanks, thought that might be the situation. In other words chances are 70+ drivers of over 3.5t vehicles are more likely to be "fit for purpose" having been subjected to a medical than those driving a 3.5t mh. And of course it therefore follows that those "fitter" drivers should be restricted to lower speed limits!

V

nowtelse2do - 2011-01-30 1:55 PM
Vernon B - 2011-01-30 9:15 AM Can someone answer this please? If you apply to retain over 3.5t entitlement but fail the medical does that bar you from applying for a sub 3.5t licence as well? V

So it if it is a serious problem (Diabetes, Heart problems etc,) your doctor may advise the DVLA of your condition, after all he knows why you wanted the medical. If he doesn't then you are obliged to tell them and your insurance company.

Diabetes is only notifiable if you are type 1, or you inject insulin supplements with type 2.Type 2 diabetes controlled by tablet or diet, is not a notifiable condition to the DVLA.

Hi,

I did a year (1984) as team leader in Medical Branch at DVLC ...... which doesn't qualify me to offer any advice ..... but I'm surprised that any diabetes is not notifiable, although DVLA may take no action.

I understood, in 1984, that the worst culprits for not following doctor's orders were young male diabetics .... probably rebelling against the hand that life had dealt them.

My mate had a quad by-pass, said he was told that he didn't have to notify DVLA, cos he would be better within the three months.

Interestingly, if DVLA have got a grip on the scuff of your neck because you have something serious, and they refer you to a consultant on a regular basis, AT THEIR EXPENSE, that counts as your medical for Groups C & D etc. Its an ill wind ......

If you google "notifiable conditions to dvla" it will give you a comprehensive list of what is, or isn't.

Always best to check. If you are found driving and haven't notified what you should have, you can be charged with driving without a valid licence, which would lead to no insurance etc.

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-02-01 9:04 PM

Encourage him to buy the best one possible, then tell him after he's bought it, then he will pass it on to you :-D

Dave

You haven't seen his driving 8-) I have no need for a pile of scrap *-)

Guest Tracker
passionwagon - 2011-02-01 8:45 PM

Tomo3090 - 2011-02-01 8:32 PM

I've only recently found out you need to renew your licence every ten years if you have a photo one. It's illegal not to apparently.

8-) You have to renew the PHOTOGRAPH every 10 years until 70y when the licence is renewed. *-)

DVLA should send you a reminder but don't count on it and they will still charge you twenty quid for the pleasure of filling in another form and them 'processing' your application.

At £2 a year it ain't expensive - unless you die young!

At £2 a year it ain't expensive - unless you die young!

Hi

Barbara's photocard expires 3 months before she turns 70. Now, that does work out expensive.

Even though your photocard has expired, you are still licenced to drive.

You MUST renew your photocard, even if you have decided to give up driving. Your options are ...

Renew your photocard.

Surrender your licence

Pay the fine (but has anybody been fined yet?)

Hi all,

or if you are like me.. i kept my paper licence..doesnt cost me owt yearly, plus its a conversation topic when i produce it to the fuzz, PO, and the like, i would change it, but i dont see why i should have to pay for the privilege, and you shouldnt have to pay when your 70 either, it should be payed thro road tax funds etc..cos they sure dont use them funds to improve the roads!!

jonathan

Hi. It seems strange to me that you need to be more medically fit to drive one type of vehicle than another. I would have thought that you were either fit enough to drive or not fit enough to drive. Surely the type of vehicle that you can drive comes with training and experience. 8-)

Brian B.

Guest Tracker

The bigger the vehicle the greater the carnage when you hit something after a heart attack and I guess someone, in their wisdom, decided that at age 70 we suddenly become much more vulnerable to be caught in another money raising idea from the DVLA and the BMA - bless 'em - another fine example of British ingenuity!

Is that one of they there Paraprosdokian thingies wot Bruce was on about yesterday!

Tracker - 2011-02-02 9:49 AM

...I guess someone, in their wisdom, decided that at age 70 we suddenly become much more vulnerable to be caught in another money raising idea from the DVLA and the BMA - bless 'em - another fine example of British ingenuity!

Never mind though eh!..they can use their Winter Fuel allowance.. ;-)

(..that is if they haven't already spent it on their Christmas booze shopping,as most of the recipients that I know,seem to do.. *-) )

We've only just noticed that the OH's photo license expires next month..we didn't realise that they needed renewing(..although I suppose it's obvious they'd need updating really.. :$ )

donna miller - 2011-02-02 12:17 PM

If you look on your licence next to each class you are entitled to drive, it will give an expiry date.

DVLA dont do renewal notices, we are supposed to be educated adults who can read . *-)

Now, now, young Donna. Don't be nasty to us old folk.

DVLA do a renewal notice when you are seventy.

;-)

donna miller - 2011-02-02 12:17 PM

DVLA dont do renewal notices, we are supposed to be educated adults who can read . *-)

Well,that's odd..as on page 10 of the information booklet that came with my license says..

Quote:"..When your photocard is due for renewal DVLA will send you a computer-produced application form to the address on your license."

..unless this booklet is out of date...

Edit: It also mentions "reminders" here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

Archived