Using a TV via an inverter

Roamer

Hi all

I am about to buy a LED television with a power rating of 26watts, however, it does not have a 12V input only 240V. This is not a real problem as most aires etc that we use have hookup, however, there are the odd occasions when we wild camp. I have concluded that a 75 Watt or larger inverter could be used for those occasions and would be interested to know if any one uses their TV via an inverter and if so, is it ok to use one that produces a modified sine wave output (the cheaper versions) or is a pure sine wave version required?

The answer to your question is that it depends on the combination of inverter and TV. Some will work and some will not, the only way to be sure is to try them out together.

Sorry to be so vague, but that is the way it is in my personal experince :-S

Generally (and I have never seen otherwise) a Pure Sine wave inverter will work fine. Some modified sine wave inveters will fry the TV mains inputs and some TV,s will fry the modified sine wave inverters, I have seen both.

But Interferance (picture lines and buzzing on sound) depends on several factors. Pure sine wave is good but you can also suffer from inadequate earth bonding when using inverters.

When you are coupled to real "mains" the NEUTRAL is bonded to earth back at the local sub-station. Most inverters have a fully floating output with no bonding and this can upset some TV,s. The solution is to link the inverter neutral to the incomming inverter negative (which is the vehicle chassis" AT THE INVERTER and nowhere else.

Hope that helps

C.

I have a 600 watt modified sine wave type ( manufactured by Ring )with some serious heavy duty cables direct to the leisure batteries with a 30 amp in line fuse. I use both a cheapo 15 inch TV, and cheapo DVD player. So far without problem, the whole lot cost less than half that of a dedicated 12 volt TV. I'm sure others will tell you to go for as large an inverter as possible so that you have got plenty of overhead. Three hours viewing hardly seems to dent our twin 85 amp leisure batteries. Hope that helps.

May be we have been lucky, but we use a 240v TV on an inverter all the time when wild camping, which is quite alot both here and on the continent. Never had a problem on this van or the other two. Must admit, we do run a 1000watt inverter with dedicated sockets wired in, and a remote control to switch the inverter on/off, rather than fumbling under the bed. P.S only ever buy the cheapest/best deal flat screen telly from tesco or asda.

Happy viewing.

We run our Telly and built in DVD player from our 2000 watt inverter with no problems ,but I notice the gizmo that comes with the telly converts 230 v back to 12 volts so it seems a long way round to me, I have thought of chopping the plug off and just plugging into the 12 volt system direct but with my luck I would probably destroy the telly, so I guess leave it alone is the answer. :-) :-)

Guest pelmetman
I bought a "Halfords special" will only charge the lap top battery when the lap top is turned off 8-) so I doubt it would run a telly *-)

We have run two different TVs off a 1800 watt inverter with no problems except when the water pump runs and we lose the signal but that happens when hooked up. We have just bought an Avtex 18.5" LED TV only because it is lighter and we can record programmes on to a USB memory stick. Have not tried it in the Motorhome yet but it is a really good picture when at home.

vindiboy - 2011-01-30 3:31 PM

I have thought of chopping the plug off and just plugging into the 12 volt system direct but with my luck I would probably destroy the telly, so I guess leave it alone is the answer. :-) :-)

That's what we do, we used the same method with our previous TV for many years without a problem - from 2005 to 2010 if memory serves, possibly since 2004! We do the same with our current TV too - I hasten to add we only changed TV because we wanted one with a built in DVD, not because we destroyed the original TV - my mum uses it in her bedroom now! :-D

Archived