Eberspacher Cobitronic fault

richyp

Having only had one trip in our Autocruise Colt 06 bought privately it seems the heater on mains is blowing the RCD. Have isolated the fault to the eberspacher. Which I assume is probably the mains fed heating element. Hot water and heating ok on diesel. Can anyone suggest 1. how much this might cost me and 2. A reputable firm near Chester that could do the job. :-( :-( :-(

I have had some ( quite a lot ) of experience with repairing my Eber Combi.

Eberspacher uk website shows dealer list here:--

http://www.eberspacher.com/dealers/

( click on the PDF on the right for a written list. )

I assume that you have electric water heating and possibly electric warm air room heating as well. Which one is causing the tripping?

The electric water heating will be by immersion heater. The electric room heating will be by a heating element in the heat exchanger / fan unit.

The diagnosis for repair will be different for each.

If it's the immersion heater shorted: once proven, it just unscrews to fit a replacement. I would expect a new heater to cost about £30 to £40 ( but that's not a quote:-S )

I think that most of the Eberspacher 'vehicle' repairers will be familiar with the actual diesel units but not with all the 'motorhome combitronic' bits. You *may* be better off going to a 'boat' Eber service agent. Whichever, it would be a good idea to speak to them first and try to find out if they are experienced with the combitronic system.

By the way. as has been discussed elsewhere, there are two types of 'combitronic'. The 'modular' and the 'compact'. I don't know which you will have in your Colt: more likely ( and hopefully ) the 'modular'.

hth

Harvey

I am back because having done a quick 'google' to find out what a 'Colt' was I am surprised! That's a rare beast I think. Based on an Iveco yes? I have done quite a lot of research on Autocruises since I bought my 2006 Starblazer about two and a half years ago and I've not come across a 'Colt' before. I even have a 2006 Autocruise brochure and it is not in that!

Having looked at some photo's of a Colt and it being the same year as my Starblazer, I suspect that it may have a 'Compact' Combi in it and not a modular.

Harvey

Thank you Harvey.

Been in touch with local Eber repairer and feel confident that its the mains water element. He agreed with what you said re cost. So fingers crossed it won't break the bank. Must admit when we first saw our truck and did some checks it is indeed a rare beast. However it's got everything we wanted. This is only the begining of a new way of life for us. So once the minor snags are sorted we will be on our travels.

Will post results of the repair after Thurs.

Archived