electrolux 3 way fridge

Guest Paul Norcliffe

Guest Paul Norcliffe
I am new to caravaning and have just purchased a 1981 van with an electrolux 2 way fridge ( gas and 240 volt). the fridge does not get cold. the freezer section gets chilled when i first tun it on (within one hour)but does not freeze . after a while it gets a lot warmer to the point it does not seem to be cold at all. I have only tried it on mains power. As I live in australia I need a cold fridge. The top pipes at the back of the unit get verry hot (it would burn your hand ) so I know the power is working. There is no amonia smell and because it initially starts to get cold I don't think there is a leak. I have taken the fridge out of the van so thereis no problemb with hot air at the back of the unit but it still wont get cold. Can anyone offer some suggestions, any help would be appreciated. I have done a search on your site and still have a few questions. You say the fridge has to be perfectly level to work at it's best - why is this so?.Is there any way to know if there has been a leak of coolant?. Why is it suggested to turn the fridge upside down, how does the coolant get stuck up the top. thanks

you need to take it out, turn it upside down and leave it like that for 24 hours or more. Then put it back, let it settle for an hour or so, the fire it up again. The reason for above is that the crystals in the fluid tend to settle and stop it working. When its not level, the fluids won't flow.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bertiebrooke
A few degrees wont make any difference, but the fridge does rely on gravity to make it work properly. The top tube should slope down a little (which is why it is bent like that as you will notice when the fridge is level). WHile you have the thing out ,check the gas jet at the bottom is perfectly clear. I had a problem with mine when the gas lit OK but the fridge didn't get cold. Problem was the jet was partly blocked. see http://www.rvmobile.com/ for a detailed explanation of how it works.

Archived