Dogs mess every where isnt it time communes stopped it

Alf Stonehouse

Dogs

Driving through France ive been shocked by the amount of dogs mess found on the streets and camping car aires.

Only one commune has provided bags for dog owners to clear there mess up thats “Sadroc” (N 45.283611 E 001.548056) near Tulle/ Brive & 90kms south Limoge It has good water & a very good village shop which is not more expensive than a super mkt has a good range of items as well as local products such as honey, bread(very good whole flour 1.75€ for a very large size)& when i was there “confit of duck” which was a leg of duck vacuum packed 3€ & very good it was indeed!

Others towns including Limoge you have to look carefuly where you walk,In Turenne (south of Briev dir Toulose) the parking is crushed white rock solid but wet or dry you must take shoes off before getting back in,worse the dogs mess everywhere and its soon white and only to easy not to avoid

Which is the worst town village you have found??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately Alf its not the dogs but their irresponsible owners. Lovely walkway between La Rochelle and Angoulins absolutely littered with dogs dirt. Stayed in a lovely aires at Rothenuef near St Malo, which during the high period is a camp site, owners just open door and let dog run and pay no attention even if it was at your front door.

The French just do not care and this is the majority and it would appear every MH has a dog. Thankfully in this country it is a minority but still happens.

I agree that it is awful but why should bags be provided by anyone other than the dog's owners?

I try to always have bags with me, even in my 'best' coats that I generally would not wear when the dog is with me, because 'you never know'.

Too many people have dogs but think that someone else is responsible for their mess.

Hi,

My pockets are always stuffed with supermarket bags. Barbara insists that I empty my pockets before I go out with her.

That was apart from the day that I was filling a water can from a tap on the Taunton Canal, when my GSD took an unscheduled pit-stop, just as a floating gin-palace drifted up to the mooring. Words were exchanged, the Admiral wouldn't let me walk a hundred yards back to my boat to get a bag. I couldn't find a big leaf. And I had the feeling he had some sort of "authority". Eventually his wife gave me a bag.

I found that if you cleared up after your dog, in France, you would get a round of applause from any nearby Grand mother. Or was it a signal to her neighbours that another Brit was in the area, indulging in funny habits

Guest pelmetman

I think it doesn't matter where you go today there are always irresponsible dog owners who don't pick up.

Our pockets are always stuffed full of bags and we have always picked up.

You think France is bad Spain is dreadful.

Sue

...but haven't you heard?..there's no such thing as an irresponsible dog owner...there can't be..!

..as everyone of them that I have spoken to(..or who's posts I've read on forums ),swear blind that they clean up after their dog... :-S

(..Even though their dog is "exercising" off the lead,out of sight,50yrds up the pathway!? *-) )

pepe63 - 2011-02-01 5:41 PM ...but haven't you heard?..there's no such thing as an irresponsible dog owner...there can't be..! ..as everyone of them that I have spoken to(..or who's posts I've read on forums ),swear blind that they clean up after their dog... :-S (..Even though their dog is "exercising" off the lead,out of sight,50yrds up the pathway!? *-) )

Oooh, you've met the same owner I met!  Small world.  ;-)

we notice the same problem around France, but as responsible dog owners, we have also noticed that many local authorities in France do supply doggy poo bags in their park and walking areas, cos we always load up with a few extras, ready for the places they dont provide them. But you must remember, unlike us, they had a revolution, and the ordinary man in the street WON, so anything goes, and nobody cares, but they do stick together, a bit like us Motorhomers.

Off to walk the dogs now, and let them run amock and smash bottles and throw their empty lager cans in bushes, not to mention their takeaway wrappers, like some irresponsible parents do with their children. but hey ho, its a funny world. (lol) :-( (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Yeah!..... Troy is out there now shooting himself up in some bush discarding the needles, and costing the public a fortune in rehabilitaion or prison bills :D .............Sorry!.... my mistake he's gone for a crap in our garden (lol) (lol)

Honfluer in May, just a joke, walked round looking at the floor all the time for fear of a foot full. I have to say we live backing on to the sand dunes in Aberdyfi, it is not at all unusual to see dog walkers pick up, then discard the bags in the dunes, which of course get covered in sand only later to be discovered as fresh as the day it was dumped preserved in its sandwich bag. I don't want to start a war but I'm bound to say I've never walked a take away box, or a lager can into the Motorome on the sole of my shoes, dog poo, or litter is dreadful. I do think on balance between dog poo left to decompose as they seem to do in France, or carefully wrapped as happens more and more in the UK and then discarded,rather than taken to a bin, I'll take the former.

Guest pelmetman
ekka - 2011-02-01 7:24 PM

Honfluer in May, just a joke, walked round looking at the floor all the time for fear of a foot full. I have to say we live backing on to the sand dunes in Aberdyfi, it is not at all unusual to see dog walkers pick up, then discard the bags in the dunes, which of course get covered in sand only later to be discovered as fresh as the day it was dumped preserved in its sandwich bag. I don't want to start a war but I'm bound to say I've never walked a take away box, or a lager can into the Motorome on the sole of my shoes, dog poo, or litter is dreadful. I do think on balance between dog poo left to decompose as they seem to do in France, or carefully wrapped as happens more and more in the UK and then discarded,rather than taken to a bin, I'll take the former.

In the scheme of life, I suspect your off spring will do more damage to the planet than any amount of dog poo :->

Yes, I was trying to make the point that natural decompostion is better than plastic bag hidden surprises. And we did have the advantage of living on 14 acres of land with every kind of animal poo there including Cleo's, my Lab. But if anyone was going to step in it it would have only been us.

As for the comment about our children we ALL make an impact on our environment so I think that was a little un-called for really.

Guest pelmetman
ekka - 2011-02-01 7:47 PM

Yes, I was trying to make the point that natural decompostion is better than plastic bag hidden surprises. And we did have the advantahe of living on 14 acres of land with every kind of animal poo there including Cleo's, my Lab. But if anyone was going to step in it it would have only been us.

Could not agree more :D

There are more facilities in Mainland Europe for dogs than in the UK. we have never had a problem finding bags for Dog mess, we have a collection from all over Mainland Europe, so much so that I feel like collecting them as it would like an interesting talking point in the Pub or at a quiet moment at a party!!!!

David

sshortcircuit - 2011-02-01 7:26 PM

Well golly gosh Alf, there appears to be great concern that you may have posted in the wrong place. If you look through topics in here there are many which are not directly related to MH but are of interest, so its not a problem.

Must be dog owners trying to divert the subject?

No. But this sounds like someone who'd let their dog s**t anywhere.

Archived