Silver Screens for Transit Cab ?

whisturx

I have had a question from a friend buying a new Hymer Van 562 on a Ford Transit chassis. He lives in France and is using a French dealer.

Having used external silver screens on previous vans he tried ordering from Taylor Made ( UK) and has been told that the Ford Transit cab has external door seals rather than internal which can cause rain water to leak through when screens are fitted ?

Has anyone with a Transit cab had this problem or is there an alternative from using internal ?

I have the "original" Silverscreens on a Mk7 transit, and I have noticed the slightest "dribble" in conditions of very heavy rain.

Not enough so far to cause me any concern (condensation would be/is worse).

I came to the conclusion that the seals are somewhat less rigid than on my previous 'vans, and it is easy to compress them with the screens, potentially leaving a small gap.

Note that, on request, Silverscreens provide a version with slightly deeper over-door pockets for 'vans with fitted Remis (or similar) blinds.

Hi John,

Not sure if the Mk 7 Transit is the latest but I the person who sent the querie via friend whisturx. Now joined the Forum. We collect new 2011 Hymer Van 562 next few days and keen to get new external screens. Can you tell me the make of yours please.? Thanks

The model from 2006 on (with "square" headlights) is the Mk 7. We have a Hymer Van 522 on a Mk 6 Transit and have used an "Original Silverscreen" very successfully. The boss at Silverscreen is very helpful so phone up and have a chat with him.

I have no experience of the Taylormade screens which appear to be the main competitor.

Good luck with your new van.

Keith

I use Silverscreens. Suggest that you get the version where the front part can be folded down. When you order don't forget to mention if you have Remise concertina blinds fitted (if you have them.) The door pockets are then made deeper.

I have no experience of Taylormade.

We used to have a Mk 6 Transit low profile and used some silver colour Taylor Made screens we originally bought when we had a Fiat (3 types back), which I just added an extra bit of material to the inside of to extend the 'velcro' bit so they would fit the Transit.

Now we have a Mk 7 Transit low profile and have not had any problems with these adapted screens - they've been on since we got a load of snow in December and no leaks have been noticed at all - the van sits nose to the north and it gets blasted by freezing cold wind too. We also have some Taylor Made screens for the Mk 7 Transit now (picked up cheap from a motorhomer at a show) although we haven't used them yet, but I don't anticipate any problems at all (they are gold though ... not sure if that makes a difference!).

Where are my manners ... forgot to say welcome to the mad house! :D

Guest JudgeMental
we have a Mk 7 transit and taylor mades, and have never noticed a problem and have been hit by a fair few Italian mountain thunderstorms and never noticed any water inside....

One of the makers of external screens (can't remember who now) advised against leaving them on for prolonged periods as nasties tended to grow in the material due to damp. They need to dry out once in a while.

One of the bits of information my rubbish bin of a memory filed away years ago is that under normal atmospheric pressure water will not leak throgh a hole smaller than .006" diameter. That about twice the thickness of a human hair.

I would have put the sleeve part of a cover at about .003-.005. If the door seals are stiff a the gap around the sleeve could be considerably wider than the water needs to get past. As someone else said the volume is likely to a lot less than condensation against an uninsulated screen.

murphy99 - 2011-02-02 4:04 PM

Thanks John I phoned Silver Screens but unfortunately they don't ship to France.!

In my experience you will find Silver Screens (the business) less than helpful. I won't use them again. Taylormade were similar a year or so ago, perhaps they have now sorted themselves out after I think, a family problem. Hope so, they are the best of the pair.

Guest JudgeMental
Mine are the full versions of taylor mades and cover the vents as welll, excellent fit and condition. I will be selling them IF my van goes in PX at end of this month....We live in London

Hi,

Can you let me have a few more details of your Taylor Made screens that may be for sale please. We have 3 piece Taylor Mades for our B 584 C and they been great for 8 + years. Contacted them re. new 2011 Ford Transit based Hymer Van 562 but Ann taylor said they not making them for this model as problem with door seals.! We are in france but if yours suitable and price OK we can sort postage etc.

Guest JudgeMental

whats to tell? they are the slightly longer version that cover grill at bottom of window? Come in a stuffing bag and in very good condition.

Archived