CTEK XS 3600 charger

bob b

I've got a calcium battery on charge using the CTEK 3600 charger. Having just read the instructions that came with it, I don't see a mention that it's suitable for a calcium battery.

Lead acid and AGM is mentioned, but not the one I've got. Can somebody reassure me that its ok to press on with the charge?

I know nothing (yet) about calcium batteries but there is lots of data on the net. Ford fit them to some cars and have different charging characteristics to suit them.

Try here

http://www.akom.su/eng/pr_Calcium_calcium.asp

It looks still to be a lead acid battery but the antimony used in the plate construction has been changed to calcium and the manufacturing method is changed to enable simpler volume production. Charging voltages required look a tad higher than that for conventional wet cell lead acids.

More research required I guess. Oh, Sterling to a charger for them.

Found another site worth a look

http://www.bosch.co.za/content/language1/html/5154.htm

Although it says that one can charge a calcium battery with a charger intended for normal lead acid it does not give the warnings found on other sites of NOT to fit a normal battery to a car with special "smart" charging to suit a calcium battery. They can boil!

C.

Thanks for that Clive. The battery is fully charged according to my meter, although the CTEK charger showed that it was still charging when I switched it off. I must have had it on charge for several hours on the bench.

The battery was bought last summer and I left it (forgotten) in the garage over the really cold snap. When I checked it, the battery showed 2 volts. Hopefully I haven't buggered it up. 

Guest pelmetman

I have a Halfords special charger which seems to make all the right noise's and the lights go on and off, but :-S

When we came back from holiday the car battery was dead, so I jumped it with camper and put it on charge, but nothing happened the charger said it was charged unfortunately the battery didnt agree *-) So I jumped it again and took it for a run for an hour, and the next day I started it again, fine so left it running for an hour and now it seems ok :D

Is there a test I can do on the charger to check its working............a basic test!!! as the way I usualy check if the electric is working is painfull 8-)

Archived